Mark Cuban destroys Skip Bayless and sorta Stephen A Smith

Originally Posted by jthagreat

one thing i didnt like about Cuban's rant was him putting skip on the spot about having try to recall defensive schemes used last year to stop lebron. who the hell remembers that and can recall that?

If you can thats great, but S!!! i have a hard time recalling things in the Superbowl or some Cowboys game...idk +shrugs+ just seemed like a moment of "oo i got you" but S!!! he would have got a large portion of hte population as well.

While I agree no one remembers schemes like that, I feel that was an easy question. Most people who watched all the games of the finals last year can see Dallas played the zone in their last few games of victory. And it wasn't even like you had to see it. The announcers would repeat it over and over and over.

Originally Posted by Th3RealF0lkBlu3s

Originally Posted by MrONegative

Originally Posted by Mark Antony

laugh.gif
 The pretension.
You expected anything else from him?
laugh.gif
No one more obsessed with their own opinion on Niketalk than bijald.

I agree with this. Notice how he stop posting when he gets called out on it.

I saw this when it happened, I thought skip and stephen A sent Mark the other way with what they said, like idc what defense dallas played on Bron in the 2011 finals, the best player in the NBA shouldnt be stopped regardless. He stopped himself, and Marc wants more credit for stopping bron then he deserves, hes a great owner tho.

I personally find the show entertaining, but I do think it's time to switch up the format. Esp Stephen A being on Mon-Fri...

My question is, the hell is there to talk about for TWO hours now?

Basketball season is over, Lebron did it, Tebow ain't worth talkin' about until possibly Sept/October, no controversy in Baseball right now...what's left?

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

Originally Posted by KMante

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

Skip is a troll, that's the reason he has a job. Whether he believes what he's saying or not, it gets ratings and gives him a job
Yup. Can't knock the hustle.

Yeah, you most definitely can't.

But what you can knock is bringing him up to begin with and giving him the exposure that he clearly doesn't deserve. I mean, it's so pathetic:

LeBron has a good game - someone starts commenting about what Skip will say even before the game is completely over
LeBron has a bad game (or rather, the Heat lose since Bron didn't really have a bad game these playoffs) - someone starts commenting about what Skip will say

Since when did he become an authority? Just leave him be and let him fade away to Bolivia.
He never was. He is just another opinion that people hear, but it helps that he is on TV. And unless he drastically softens his stance on LeBron, he won't stay for long 
smile.gif

I remember when it was him and Woody Paige on Cold Pizza arguing 
laugh.gif

EPSN as a TV channel is starting to lose me. Its too sensationalist, I watch a sports network hoping to get real sports journalism, not have people be biased about everything. Its cool for shows that started off that way like PTI, Sportsnation, whatever, but back when this show was Cold Pizza it used to be better and have some real journalism, stats, analysis, whatever. Then the show got too Big and Skip being the only guy flaming Bron from the get go caught on too much so they started doing more of that. Stephen A Smith, used to be a decent basketball analyst, but now hes gone that route too, and it paid off too quick for him to want to do different, he got his own 2 hour radio show every day and a permanent slot on their now. 

Show sucks now though. Its really 2 hours of repeat topics, everything gets talked about twice, they did a 25 minute segment about Bron doing a crossover, and yet its still the highest rated show on ESPN... So many people eat it up. I read the Yahoo Sports! article on this and I saw this:

Skip Bayless, as he's admitted to his colleagues at ESPN, doesn't care to watch the games. The possession-by-possession nuance and adjustment and dictation of a pro basketball game doesn't matter much to him. What he's best at is creating easily digestible swings between the idea of Right and Wrong, and whatever the Right or Wrong is, it's the Rightiest Right or Wrongiest Wrong that's ever been seen in the annals of team or individual sports.

This is appalling to me, but it pleases the masses and at the end of the day he has a job to do and wants to be successful at it, and I cant be made at him for doing so, I just wont watch it. I'm perfectly fine just listening to sports radio, reading articles, and having discussions on forums. Link for those that want it. http://sports.yahoo.com/b...-air-202818568--nba.html

Originally Posted by Do Be Doo

Originally Posted by Th3RealF0lkBlu3s

Originally Posted by MrONegative

You expected anything else from him?
laugh.gif
No one more obsessed with their own opinion on Niketalk than bijald.

I agree with this. Notice how he stop posting when he gets called out on it.

Yep, I'm definitely running away from the big bad wolves on Niketalk.  Or, and I know you'll have the time to check my post history when you read this post, I haven't been posting much on weekends lately. I don't post much on weekday mornings and afternoons either so if I don't respond in a timely manner, don't fret. 

What should I respond to anyways? The responses that avoid the content of my posts and attack my supposed character? I'll pass. 

I'm suggesting that what Mark Cuban said to and about Skip Bayless and sports punditry at large is applicable to this board and sports talk in general. Style over substance. The death of nuance. The death of context. The "soap operafication" of sports, if you'd so humor me. Sure, a supposed professional like Bayless should be held to a certain standard to which we as mere consumers should not be measured but I think the conversation around sports is severely lacking and often mimics the idiocy of much political commentary. If anyone wants to offer any thoughts on all this, I'd gladly continue the conversation. But I'm not responding to personal attacks that hold no merit. Well, except one:

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Originally Posted by Mark Antony

Originally Posted by HankMoody

I'm sayin 
laugh.gif
, just be quiet and go look up some stats, funny how the non-athletes think they know sports better now a days. Stick to data entry plehboi

Funny you say that. I actually had the pleasure of playing some ball with a few NT'ers in the summer of 2010. I was in NYC for the summer for an internship (in data entry of course). 
Originally Posted by true 3 blue

Originally Posted by givemedanumba

Originally Posted by MJsaver

Props to bijald0331, real talk this dude can shoot...Really Shoot.....

We ran a full and he scored his teams first 8/9 pts, on 3's and long 2's....( fresh was guardin him 
tongue.gif

And just to show off  after the game he picked up the ball and hit a miraculous shot from 3/4 court......TWICE...
sick.gif
...(2/4)

Chi-town NT'ers, be proud.....He showed and repped yall city.
Yup, I'll vouch for that dude...can definitely shoot lights out.
Yep homie was LIGHTS OUT.....

With that addressed, let's stay on topic. 

I agree with a lot of your post, Antidope. The reason E!SPN took this turn is that there the head honchos who control the content have a belief in and supposed research supporting that debate will best drive ratings. Now they may be right but that goes back to my point that we get the media we deserve. I too avoid much of E!SPN aside from a few segments on a few shows like PTI, E:60, and OTL. 

Met Skip Bayless before. It's all an act, I hope most of you realize this. He told me before he goes on air or does a set, ESPN gives him a topic, a very general topic. He spends about an hour thinking of the most asinine way to argue a point and he rolls with it. Or they will give him a topic and tell him to disagree with it by any means necessary.

That is his job at ESPN. They pay him to do this. They want him to do this. In a way, he reminds me of a defense attorney. No matter what the facts are and no matter if you know without a doubt that your client is guilty, you have to come up with a way to defend him. Sometimes it's ludicrous, but that's the world we live in. Deal with it.

The best part of this has nothing to do with Skip Bayless. Last year, Ryan Rusillo, who hosted the NBA Today podcast, went on day after day during the Finals talking about how the media was overhyping the Dallas zone defense. He said Dallas never played a zone defense against the Heat. Every other NBA analyst was praising Dallas for playing zone to disrupt Miami, but he was the one person who was adamant that the zone defense wasn't a part of Dallas' defensive scheme. This is a guy who is EMPLOYED BY ESPN TO ANALYZE NBA BASKETBALL AND DO A SEMI-DAILY PODCAST ABOUT IT, yet can't decipher a zone defense when it turns out to be a deciding factor in a Finals series. Cuban talked about the zone defense in this clip, yet Mr. Rusillo was adamant last year that the Mavs played no zone defense. Just a joke. ESPN gives no credit to Dallas for what they did against Miami last year, even though Rick Carlisle DESTROYED Spo in the Finals.

^ I never knew he said all that.

Yeah ESPN's least effort-filled coverage is basketball. When you watch football highlights, it's hall of fame quality players and coaches that give you X's and O's.When it's baseball, they go through HALF the games with ex players and coaches. But when it comes to basketball, when was the last time you saw an Ex coach break down how a team beat another? With the exception of Chris Mullin (who's a 5 time all star and a gold medalist) I don't think guys like Jalen Rose and Bruce Bowen are the most credible players that should be providing breakdowns.

As far as Stephen A Smith goes, the guys makes excellent points, but he comes across as comical way too often, and can also get carried away with the "drama" of the NBA. Skip Bayless is what's wrong with the social media age. Here comes a guy that took advantage of a player who was coming up short (as if no other player hasn't been there before), and wants to chime in on why LeBron suddenly isn't the best player in the NBA. I remember it all started with the Orlando Magic Eastern Conference Finals in 2009, and he was running his mouth about how LeBron couldn't get it done. He doesn't even watch basketball games, I bet If I asked him about guys like Eric Gordon and Iman Shumpert, he'd have no comment.

But thank you to Mark Cuban, leave the comments for the people who are really passionate about the sport, and not just one player.

Originally Posted by ricky409

Originally Posted by gambit215

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

What's sad is this trash is what's feeding the young minded sports fan and the casual fan. This board is a prime example of that. I am well aware the "media" only cares about ratings and that's exactly what these shows and shock jocks are created for. The bigger picture is you get a stupider, obnoxious fan talking completely out of their $!%. Cuban came to the table and showed both of those clowns what an educated sports fan thinks like.
John "Skip" Bauless has been a Sports writer since the 70's out of Dallas, its ok not to like the guy, but to discredit him like he doesnt know what he's talking about is ignorant and really short sided........ he has a man crush on Tebow and dislikes Lebron James, First Take is on of the HIGHEST RATED CABLE SHOWS IN THE MORNING............on ESPN 2........................Everyone who is happy that Mark Cuban gave a little self absorbed soliloquy on Sports Media needs to stop acting like Cuban wasnt a lil crybaby until he finally won a championship.............

.BTW I like how no one brought up how he froze up when he got called out about Lamar Odom and his "mentality", but of course, people only see word what they want to see, word to Bradley V. Pacquiao....

egggggggzactly...

cuban didnt know what to say.

Are you kidding me? Longevity doesn't equal credibility. Skip Bayless is a talent less scoundrel who has been relying on shock to stay relevant since he began his career. He's the one who started the Troy Aikman is gay rumor to get sales for his book, back in the 90's; that's only one of his despicable acts. What Stephen A. said had nothing to do with what Mark was talking about and was a completely different situation. Stephen A. knew this and he still said it, taking a page out of Skip's book. 

Let ESPN enjoy their "ratings boost". They actually dropped like an anvil the past few months once football season ended; Gasp. People are already moving on. They will find another up and coming athlete to destroy, "analyze" and take advantage of.
original.png

Y'all sound like the haters in here. Skip is doing his job. How entertaining would the show be if all he did was go with the obvious answers, or if him and Smith agreed with every topic? Matter of fact some of y'all rage towards him is exactly what he's going for, thus you just got played. Enjoy the show for what it is, entertainment. Cuban is a jack off who thinks he's the bees knees, no love to him. Pay the bills, shut your mouth.

Originally Posted by MetroKid26

Yeah ESPN's least effort-filled coverage is basketball. When you watch football highlights, it's hall of fame quality players and coaches that give you X's and O's.When it's baseball, they go through HALF the games with ex players and coaches. But when it comes to basketball, when was the last time you saw an Ex coach break down how a team beat another? With the exception of Chris Mullin (who's a 5 time all star and a gold medalist) I don't think guys like Jalen Rose and Bruce Bowen are the most credible players that should be providing breakdowns.

As far as Stephen A Smith goes, the guys makes excellent points, but he comes across as comical way too often, and can also get carried away with the "drama" of the NBA. Skip Bayless is what's wrong with the social media age. Here comes a guy that took advantage of a player who was coming up short (as if no other player hasn't been there before), and wants to chime in on why LeBron suddenly isn't the best player in the NBA. I remember it all started with the Orlando Magic Eastern Conference Finals in 2009, and he was running his mouth about how LeBron couldn't get it done. He doesn't even watch basketball games, I bet If I asked him about guys like Eric Gordon and Iman Shumpert, he'd have no comment.

But thank you to Mark Cuban, leave the comments for the people who are really passionate about the sport, and not just one player.

it's funny cause they break down college ball really well. tend to focus on other headlines regarding nba and not the actually game. but that is what the nba has become and has been, entertainment.

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

That video is very unique.

It captures the longest chunk of Stephen A. Smith's life where he doesn't say a word.

Yeah, he silenced Promoutheus

Originally Posted by MetroKid26

I've been saying this for years. It's like they have the NBA only because they can, not because they care about it. I guarantee NBC makes a big push to get it back when the contract is up for renewal.

The more I watch the video, the more I see how Cuban absolutely destroyed Bayless. Notice the silence from this cockroach after Cuban asks him "Why do you play zone in the first place?".

I don't agree with Cuban on everything though. There is most definitely a thing like "wanting it more" and "playing harder", essentially "playing harder because you want it more". Even if this aspect only affects the game a tiny bit, in a close game it could be all the difference between a W and L. No one embodies this more than Battier who played beyond his abilities this series because he knew his career would ultimately come down to the 7 games that the series could've lasted. The Mavericks last season were full of examples like this. You can be prepared for the game all you want, but it won't help you one bit if the players don't execute.

Stephen A. held his own. Unlike the moron Skip Brainless, he shows that he is a serious basketball analyst.

Not sure why Odom was brought into the argument.  He was a player that just didn't work out or fit with the team.  They weren't in a Finals setting where the team that won just "wanted it more".

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

The best part of this has nothing to do with Skip Bayless. Last year, Ryan Rusillo, who hosted the NBA Today podcast, went on day after day during the Finals talking about how the media was overhyping the Dallas zone defense. He said Dallas never played a zone defense against the Heat. Every other NBA analyst was praising Dallas for playing zone to disrupt Miami, but he was the one person who was adamant that the zone defense wasn't a part of Dallas' defensive scheme. This is a guy who is EMPLOYED BY ESPN TO ANALYZE NBA BASKETBALL AND DO A SEMI-DAILY PODCAST ABOUT IT, yet can't decipher a zone defense when it turns out to be a deciding factor in a Finals series. Cuban talked about the zone defense in this clip, yet Mr. Rusillo was adamant last year that the Mavs played no zone defense. Just a joke. ESPN gives no credit to Dallas for what they did against Miami last year, even though Rick Carlisle DESTROYED Spo in the Finals.
yep... its more about lebron not doin this or that.
that zone was the dopeness, not to mention Dirk going RIDICULOUS...

famb was hitting one foot leaners at a damb near 60 percent clip...

if yall peeped game, lebron was making the right plays... just wasnt getting to the cup enough...

Originally Posted by KMante

He never was. He is just another opinion that people hear, but it helps that he is on TV. And unless he drastically softens his stance on LeBron, he won't stay for long 
smile.gif

I remember when it was him and Woody Paige on Cold Pizza arguing 
laugh.gif

tebow season is coming bro...

Back
Top Bottom