Mark Smith - New Global Creative Director of JB

roll.gif

Yo this dude Method Man is mad funny even when he's not trying to be.

Crack
roll.gif

Originally Posted by RockDeep

Originally Posted by allthingsjordan

Dentro -- Italian for 'inside' = Indoor shoe.

Esterno -- Italian for 'outer' = Outdoor shoe.

Mark will be a perfect fit for where the brand needs to be.
Thanks! & I desperately hope you are right...

let me ask you, why exactly are they using so many Italian words??

The Designers took a trip to Italy for Inspiration a while ago and it may have spurned from that. Also, MJ loves ALL things italian. The designers visited a Lambhorgini Factory (I believe) MJ ordered a car from.

Amazing that he LOVES Italian things, but lacks to approve of one of the main ingredients from Italy for his shoes. Thats Real Leather.

Originally Posted by Burns1923

If Mark was going to stay the course of Jordan, why even go, when he can do what he wants in the Kitchen.

That's a fair point, Rock.

I'd be interested to know who jumpstarted this change and why.

Also, is Gentry being moved to a lesser role? Does this even affect him and if so how?

Thanks for the info.

*Shrugs Shoulders*

Maybe a role like Isiah? I don't know..

I also think with Mark Coming to Jordan, this keeps Tinker working on more Projects with Jordan, where before he may not have had the desire to after the XX3...
Why is that, Is Tinker loyal to Mark Smith for any particular reason?
grin.gif
just curious????????????

Oh and, Hovkid that youtube clip made me laugh harder than anything I've seen on NT in a long while....
roll.gif

It's an uphill battle for credibility. If he wants to prove that he respects the brand's heritage, we'd better see a swift return to AUTHENTICITY in our retro products and a renewed commitment to QUALITY, PERFORMANCE, and INNOVATION in the original designs.
This guy gets nothing on credit from me. He still has everything to prove. He could be the nicest guy in the world, but that means nothing to me if I'm at the cash register with a $310 forced bundle of shoes that look and feel like a pair of flea market fakes compared to retro shoes from as recently as 2001.
I can feel that...

Originally Posted by Burns1923

They can play corporate chess all they want. But until a lot changes and is sustained, this move doesn't move the importance dial much at all.

The main reason this news isn't very exciting is because of the notion that everyone at JB is a team player, i.e. synched to the same isolationist mindset.

Frankly, at this point, I'd trust someone from NT to make the decisions at JB before I'd trust the current regime there.

They've tarnished A LOT of the legacy over the past 6 years or so. Unless they bring in new people from the outside, or hand it all back into Nike's hands, it doesn't appear much will change.

Here's to hoping a miracle happens in Beaverton.

I think you guys have it ALL wrong with thinking there will be NO Change in the way or Outlook Jordan has once Mark puts his finger print on things.

Im sure his outlook won't be to determine if to put Nike Air on the Jordans or what colors they should come in. His outlook would be to make sure the Design Concepts are tightened up and The Outlook of the Entire Jordan Line Signature and Team is transformed.

You have to understand as I stated before. This dude worked in the kitchen. Yes, he is directly responsible for Lasering, but he isn't just held to doing ANY ONE thing. Those guys get to basically work on ANYTHING they think would be good to implement into retail. If he has a dope design for Running.. He develops that.. Sport Culture... Run with it. Basketball... Ok.. let it ride.

Mark designed the Spizike...and altho MANY here hate that shoe, it sells. It sells well. Just like the Hyperdunk wasn't designed by someone IN Nikebasketball, it was done by Eric Avar FROM the Kitchen.

If Mark was going to stay the course of Jordan, why even go, when he can do what he wants in the Kitchen. Look for new Siloettes sp? to be done, and perhaps even a wider array of NON Basketball Footwear Products to be produced. Guys like Jason Mayden could be a Kitchen guy because he can design just about ANYTHING. A Shoe which comes out in retail called the Monarch has sold probably over 6 Million shoes to date and its just a regular walking shoe, that some older folks wear.

You may not know the shoe, but I promise you someone older than you may.

If what I think can be done is done. After the next two seasons, there will be some Sneakerhead dudes who actually appreciate kicks that aren't signature or Retro Jordans...

I also think with Mark Coming to Jordan, this keeps Tinker working on more Projects with Jordan, where before he may not have had the desire to after the XX3...
Could that mean a return of the "Nike Air"? The Quality of the 94 retros?

for awhile i've been contemplating where this brand was going, but now its official, JB is halfway in the tank, and this new guy seems poised to hold thereigns for the rest of the way down.

if his resume is made up entirely of gimmicks (la"z"ering classics) and overpriced patchwork (spikiez (sp?)), then he wont have much more to offeronce he is in charge.

all due respect to the nike employees that continue to provide valid contributions to the board, but statements like "man he has done so much other hotstuff, you guys just never get to see it", is the sneaker community equivalent to the WMD claims in the pre-invasion stage of Iraq II. lets just hope forbetter results than THAT...

but i dobut there will be.

^^ No they are referred to as Special Projects from The Kitchen.. I don't think a person's resume can be judged from only what people follow on NTeither. The Spizike is only what YOU would know of or be familiar with.

If I knew you in 7th Grade and you worked at Burger King and you were making Great Burgers and hadn't seen you in 30 years and you had become a Mogul doingReal Estate should I only judge you on the Burgers I knew you flipped prior?

Tinker has also done alot of work not known by Sneaker Heads, but that doesnt make his work any more or less great because you aren't familiar with it. Isay let it ride and see where it goes before being too skeptical.

He was brought in for a reason obviously if change was needed right?

^^ No they are referred to as Special Projects from The Kitchen.. I don't think a person's resume can be judged from only what people follow on NT either. The Spizike is only what YOU would know of or be familiar with.

If I knew you in 7th Grade and you worked at Burger King and you were making Great Burgers and hadn't seen you in 30 years and you had become a Mogul doing Real Estate should I only judge you on the Burgers I knew you flipped prior?

Tinker has also done alot of work not known by Sneaker Heads, but that doesnt make his work any more or less great because you aren't familiar with it. I say let it ride and see where it goes before being too skeptical.

exactly what I was thinking...

^^ No they are referred to as Special Projects from The Kitchen.. I don't think a person's resume can be judged from only what people follow on NT either. The Spizike is only what YOU would know of or be familiar with.

If I knew you in 7th Grade and you worked at Burger King and you were making Great Burgers and hadn't seen you in 30 years and you had become a Mogul doing Real Estate should I only judge you on the Burgers I knew you flipped prior?

Tinker has also done alot of work not known by Sneaker Heads, but that doesnt make his work any more or less great because you aren't familiar with it. I say let it ride and see where it goes before being too skeptical.

maybe hes just filling a vacant position?
eyes.gif

I kno that Gentry is a hated figure in this community, but shouldn't blame be passed out to everyone including MJ himself? I mean MJ has to ok alot of thecolorways, designs and amount of production(i.e. Titanium XX3). I dont care for Gentry AT ALL especially after seeing his collection in the All-Jordan SCissue where he even admits his mistakes with garbage like the Burgandy V's, but he surely can't be solely responsible for crap quality and varientlooking shoes. I think that there needs to be alot more blame and change within Brand Jordan for the downward spiral that they have been headed in for in myopinion 6 years now. I want to believe Mark Smith will help repair the brand based off of his artistic influence in older Air Jordans as well as hisrelationship with Tinker, but Im not too excited considering like someone else said earlier, that the same characters are involved, and the man that thecompany is named after and built on has been allowing monstrosities such as the 6 Rings, Spizike, and Fusions get into the marketplace, I mean its going to bea tall order for anything major to change with Brand Jordan.
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by OUChrisLitt

I don't mean to be overly technical, but doesn't Gentry have a different title -- like Jordan Brand Director of Footwear. I only ask this to make sure whether I'm understanding this correctly...Gentry is out? Moving up the food chain? Parallel?
Yes I had a similar type question... Is Mark taking Gentry's job

or is it a different position at JB?

Originally Posted by Wings2315

I kno that Gentry is a hated figure in this community, but shouldn't blame be passed out to everyone including MJ himself? I mean MJ has to ok alot of the colorways, designs and amount of production(i.e. Titanium XX3). I dont care for Gentry AT ALL especially after seeing his collection in the All-Jordan SC issue where he even admits his mistakes with garbage like the Burgandy V's, but he surely can't be solely responsible for crap quality and varient looking shoes. I think that there needs to be alot more blame and change within Brand Jordan for the downward spiral that they have been headed in for in my opinion 6 years now. I want to believe Mark Smith will help repair the brand based off of his artistic influence in older Air Jordans as well as his relationship with Tinker, but Im not too excited considering like someone else said earlier, that the same characters are involved, and the man that the company is named after and built on has been allowing monstrosities such as the 6 Rings, Spizike, and Fusions get into the marketplace, I mean its going to be a tall order for anything major to change with Brand Jordan.
ohwell.gif

hey i like those
grin.gif

No No No the spizike is a wonderful designed shoe that actually throw off the DUB ZERO to the waters of a "frankastein" kicks

THE COLORS ARE THE HORRIBLE THEME THAT RUINS THE SHOE NOT THE DESIGN,
THE COLORING THEY DO AT JORDAN BRAND AND MARKETING MONEY TO SELL ($175)
KILLS THE SPIZIKE

Remember Tinker Hatfield doesn't choose the colors of the XX3....

Who here like these Spizikes:

34yxmbc.jpg

Gentry isn't going anywhere guys- His title was NEVER Global Creative Director of JB like Mark Smith is - his title is Footwear Product Line Director orsomething like that.

Originally Posted by MR MONDAY NIIGHT

Originally Posted by HOVKid

Originally Posted by Method Man

altho MANY here hate that shoe, it sells. It sells well.
So does crack

roll.gif

roll.gif

laugh.gif
roll.gif

Yo this dude Method Man is mad funny even when he's not trying to be.

real talk
laugh.gif

he speaks the truth though. this brand has run itself to the ground and has made a mockery of itself. you hear about a new retro or JB product and first thingthat comes to mind is "hmm...let's see how they messed THIS one up".

I'm hoping for the better with Mark Smith.

Mark Smith is far more than just lasering. Like already said the stuff he does in the kitchen is mind blowing and the man is very talented. Expect a lot ofgood things from the brand, I know I will.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by CarmineJordan

No No No the spizike is a wonderful designed shoe that actually throw off the DUB ZERO to the waters of a "frankastein" kicks

THE COLORS ARE THE HORRIBLE THEME THAT RUINS THE SHOE NOT THE DESIGN,
THE COLORING THEY DO AT JORDAN BRAND AND MARKETING MONEY TO SELL ($175)
KILLS THE SPIZIKE

Remember Tinker Hatfield doesn't choose the colors of the XX3....

Who here like these Spizikes:

34yxmbc.jpg

i would have def. copped.....................

TWO TIMES!! gimme some!!!

^^^ absolutely correct...

the spizike is a great shoe just ruined with horrible trendy hypebeast fake looking colorways
mad.gif

Can you please give us some examples of what Mark has done? You say mind blowing this/that and we wouldn't know anything but spizikes but I knowwhat most shoes are just by the name itself. I think it was you who said we wouldn't know about the Air Monarch but I know exactly what shoes you'retalking about. (Mainly sold in wht/nvy and blk/blk cw's and comes in reg and wide widths) I'd just like to know some of the shoes he's designed.Obviously I don't want you to say anything that would put your job on the line cuz it's not that important, but anything that has released in the pastthat you or anybody could share with us would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I am cautiously optimistic about this appointment actually and quite surprised that the people at Nike / JB have actuallly looked beyond the balance sheetbecause the one thing you could say about Gentry is that he can shift a quantity of shoes at high margins.......

Back
Top Bottom