Marriage Proposal Question

Hello men of NT. When it comes time to ask that special woman in your life for her hand in marriage, do you plan on asking her parents for permission topropose? Is this still common practice?

Married NT'ers, did you ask the parents? How did that discussion go if you did...

I'm curious to see if this is still considered to be the polite thing to do.

I asked her father for permission. He was fine with it. There is a whole bunch of wedding etiquette that I think is outdated, but it still exists.

The bride's parents are expected to pay for the wedding, the groom's parents are expected to pay for the rehearsal dinner, etc. Go check out a weddingetiquette book if you're serious about getting engaged/married.

That's a little old fashion.

What's the dad going to do? Tell you to bring him 10 horses because that's how much his daughter is worth?

When i ask my girl to marry me i wont ask for permission, but i will let her dad and mom know ahead of time.

Originally Posted by Ghenges

What's the dad going to do? Tell you to bring him 10 horses because that's how much his daughter is worth?
You may or may not always be her husband but she will ALWAYS be his daughter.

Keep that in mind.

It's an old school thing to do, but it's definitely something the right people appreciate.

I remember my brother-in-law asked my dad for permission and it damn near drove him to tears.

It was one of the most touching moments I've ever witnessed.

Do it because you want to do it. Don't do it because you think you're supposed to.

Originally Posted by Bastitch

It's an old school thing to do, but it's definitely something the right people appreciate.

I remember my brother-in-law asked my dad for permission and it damn near drove him to tears.

It was one of the most touching moments I've ever witnessed.

Do it because you want to do it. Don't do it because you think you're supposed to.
That's touching. He must have a great relationship with your father.

im gettin pressure from my girl to ask her parents permission when that time comes. it just doesn't seem necessary for me to ask them, although I will havea conversation with them to give them a heads up.

Like I'm not going to marry your daughter if you say no...

This is coming from the girl that wants her parents permission for us to move in together as well

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Yeah, I asked her dad before I did it. I think I was more nervous asking him, than I was asking her. Had a couple beers with him, and then hit him up. Hisreply - "What the hell took you so long????"

Originally Posted by freezelle

Yeah, I asked her dad before I did it. I think I was more nervous asking him, than I was asking her. Had a couple beers with him, and then hit him up. His reply - "What the hell took you so long????"
hahahaha my fiancee's dad had a similar response.

As far as proposing without asking. I mean as long as they aint crazy and youre not a complete F-up, why would they even consider saying no? If they did, iteither means they are crazy or youre an F-up. If its the latter, as much as you love your girl, do you really wanna marry into a family that is crazy ANDhates you? If its the latter, do you really wanna marry into a family that will always hate you and look down on you?

My girl got a real close relationship with her family, especially her parents. If they outright refused and said no, then I honestly probably woulda kept itmovin and left her. It woulda been tough as hell cause I love her to death, but I cant deal with that kinda BS for the rest of my life.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by wohcttank

im gettin pressure from my girl to ask her parents permission when that time comes. it just doesn't seem necessary for me to ask them, although I will have a conversation with them to give them a heads up.

Like I'm not going to marry your daughter if you say no...

This is coming from the girl that wants her parents permission for us to move in together as well
Maybe her parent's are old fashioned. When that time comes I'm gonna ask my girl's mom, even though she has referred to me, to herfriends and family, as her future son-in-law. I'll have a conversation with her two older brothers as well because they will represent their father, whodied years ago.

Originally Posted by Bastitch

Yep. One brother in law didn't ask permission and we proceeded to talk crap about that for the whole year leading up to their wedding. Mynewest brother in law asked and we all loved him even more for it.

I think it's a matter of if you already have a good or even semi good relationship with them then it will only strengthen the relationship. It shows youvalue their opinion. If they are a family that values tradition they will appreciate it. For me it needs to happen or there will be no wedding.

Now if you don't have a good relationship then... good luck with all that.

Originally Posted by GIMMEMO23

I think most parents appreciate the gesture.

this.

I definitely never understood the practice in present day and I don't think it's necessary, but under the right circumstances I'd do it

Back
Top Bottom