May 7 1989 25 years later

Shocked there wasnt a thread made on this yesterday

View media item 961091View media item 961101View media item 961096
Michael Jordan Snatched The City Of Cleveland’s Soul 25 Years Ago Today With “The Shot”

http://smokingsection.uproxx.com/TSS/2014/05/michael-jordan-the-shot-cavaliers

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...20140507_1_michael-jordan-cavaliers-100-bulls

"The Shot" turned 25 Wednesday.

That the basket needs no other name certainly in Chicago and more often than not elsewhere speaks to the influence of Michael Jordan.

Even 25 years later, Jordan hangs in the air an impossibly long time, finally unleashing the foul-line jumper over Craig Ehlo that sank the Cavaliers in the fifth and deciding game of their first-round series with the Bulls and silenced the Cleveland crowd.

Bulls 101, Cavaliers 100.

Doug Collins still may be dancing.

At 57-25, the Cavaliers had tied for the league’s second-best record and gone 6-0 during the regular season against the Bulls. The Bulls were still on their slow climb to respectability, two years from the first of their six NBA championships in eight seasons.

The reactions in the shot are priceless. There’s Jordan pumping his fist repeatedly before getting swallowed in an embrace by inbounder Brad Sellers. There’s Collins, frenetically running and hugging almost anything that moved, including a young, mustachioed assistant coach Phil Jackson. The lithe Scottie Pippen danced off the floor. A stoic Bill Cartwright caught the ball as it nestled through the hoop, bouncing it down matter-of-factly before exiting.

A quarter-century later, it’s all still exhilarating.

“That’s probably the biggest shot I’ve had in the NBA mainly because I had my credibility on the line,” Jordan said afterward, as quoted by Hall of Famer and former Tribune basketball writer Sam Smith. “I said we could beat this team.”

The Bulls did. The images and memories will linger for all time.

View media item 961104

:pimp:

Last edited:
Great thread, I can't believe it's been 25 years. I remember watching this game as a kid and wanting the pair of air Jordan's that mike was wearing so bad.

I saw the shot live. I was 8 years old at my friend Will's house. When he hit the shot, we went CRAZY. 

It is one of those memories that gets burned in your mind forever. 

I saw the shot live. I was 8 years old at my friend Will's house. When he hit the shot, we went CRAZY. 

It was on CBS, right? I was 2 years old by the way lol

Watch the actual clip, It's funny seeing the different reactions from the crowd.

Great post, i actually made one in General yesterday (i dont get why more people didnt reply, its a piece of Sports history)

Jordan. ..shot on ehlo...bulls win!!!!!

doug collins after the game......that was get the ball to Michael and everybody get the .... out of the way!

Last edited:
Great post, i actually made one in General yesterday (i dont get why more people didnt reply, its a piece of Sports history)
Because this board is now filled with teenagers, resellers, and hypebeasts; they have no idea who those guys are in the picture

^^^ agreed, hot rod, Nance, Daugherty, looks like a young Horace in the background.

I remember when i first saw this it happened so quickly i thought MJ kicked ehlo mid air after making that game winning shot :lol:

I bet JB gonna put back the Nike Air on the Black Cement IVs at the 30th anniversary

I bet JB gonna put back the Nike Air on the Black Cement IVs at the 30th anniversary
for $299 
mean.gif
 and they will easily sell

Very disappointed Jordan Brand didnt release 89 Black Cement 4s to commemorate the date :smh: :smh: And this day will forever be the day that ruined Craig Ehlo's career and life in my eyes :lol:
Ehlo's career was meh anyway, so he should be glad he is a little part of MJ's legacy :lol:

I saw the shot live on TV as well, i was 25, lol. One thing for kids to keep in mind is the context. At that time, Jordan was not the mythical 6-rings GOAT. He was regarded as a super-talented player but still a scorer who hadn't figured out how to be a champion. This was a step towards that. Small picture, it was an exhilerating shot to beat a talented Cleveland team.

Like the '88s I was really hoping they dropped a commemorative shoe to recognize "The Shot" with a Nike Air rendition. Too bad it won't come to fruition.

lots said no nike air ever again on a heel tab

enter the 88 3 retro, enter the 88 bc 3 retro sample (i know the whole history on how a wc na 3 was 'skipped over' in 01-03 when mj returned to the blue wizards promoting tb jb)

i believe these will release again with nike air - and i will relish it
it's annoying but nike has forced a patient mindset on me with things like this

think i'm wrong? good for you...we'll have to wait and see won't we
i have no inside info - just experience

Back
Top Bottom