Meek Mill Street Cred??

It's odd that cats are validated by whether or not they break the law. Just one of those oddities in life that I won't try to figure out.

Originally Posted by Definition Of Dopeness

I was at that Texas Music conference when that vlad !$@* happened and Ross aint even the one that laid hands on buddy. E-Class the one who told them _s too stomp out Vlad, Ross %%# was just chillin.
lmao,
I was going to mention this. because when the story broke they said it was Ross' entourage.

for all you know Ross didnt want that to happen and his fans are posting it as if it validates him 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

I think it's safe to say, any rapper from Philly that isn't getting tested or publicly humiliated has street cred.
I been up Philly a few times and from the looks of it, if my man was'nt what he said he is them Philly Cats would pull his card. Lil Homey must be the "Truth" cause they standing behind him. Wale and Ross have no street cred what so ever. Ross was a CO and Wale worked at Sprint. None of those %%$*!@ in #MMG besides Meek and Gunplay are ABOUT THAT LIFE. I listen to MMG/Ross then I listen to USDA/Jezzy adn Jezzy ABOUT THAT LIFE, ROSS DEF AINT

Originally Posted by Savonne86

I think it's safe to say, any rapper from Philly that isn't getting tested or publicly humiliated has street cred.
I been up Philly a few times and from the looks of it, if my man was'nt what he said he is them Philly Cats would pull his card. Lil Homey must be the "Truth" cause they standing behind him. Wale and Ross have no street cred what so ever. Ross was a CO and Wale worked at Sprint. None of those %%$*!@ in #MMG besides Meek and Gunplay are ABOUT THAT LIFE. I listen to MMG/Ross then I listen to USDA/Jezzy adn Jezzy ABOUT THAT LIFE, ROSS DEF AINT
boondocks-mlk-2006-1650.jpg

yall don't remember gunplay getting dragged out his car?

Originally Posted by HARM

How can +*%*%+ with absolutely no street cred in their own neighborhood question another mans street cred?

I don't get it ..

ya'll been on this same %$$* for years ..

this why the #$!!%$@ forum sucks
30t6p3b.gif

It's hilarious when Ross fans are so mad about street cred threads, it just makes it so obvious. How you gon have a body count and you puttin ppl in jail 
roll.gif

Too much e-thuggery to quote 
roll.gif

Yeah, I'm sure you guys have the insider info on Ross' street dealings. "I suggest you don't talk about Ross if you in Miami"
roll.gif

Between this and the fapping over record sale numbers, this $%** is ridiculous
30t6p3b.gif

Not to say that this should be the main attraction to musical acts but dudes have to realize that when you make gangster music people expect you to be somewhat of what you represent.
I'm tired of stating this ++#. ITS NOT JUST ENTERTAINMENT.

It may be entertainment to the 13 yr olds living in a suburb of cali etc. but when you craft this image and you employ all your resources into creating a persona even outside of the tracks then hell yea street cred should be analyzed. I don't think ya;ll know just how much impact Artist have over there listeners. If you know your not about that life, then why fabricate it and walk around like your really in the streets. Fine you makin some M's off the image because the music is good. Cool i respect that.

But when you go off in interviews, on TV, social media, and the actual public Fronting like pablo Escobar when your past CLEARLY states the polar opposite people are gonna get annoyed. When speaking on guys like Trick & Jeezy you are speaking on $@#*$$ who really lived the life there speaking on and still have plenty of people around them who are still in it. Strip all the gangsta ++# away, All the bias & hate and ask yourself........How do you want people to overlook a man who lies to your face everytime he speaks, not just on records but his whole persona in real life is made up
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by Cheese Wagstaff

Too much e-thuggery to quote 
roll.gif

I swear man. NikeTalk is the toughest Message Board EVER.
#*@$*! are EXPERTS on everything relating to the streets and criminal activity. 

Originally Posted by tyisny

Not to say that this should be the main attraction to musical acts but dudes have to realize that when you make gangster music people expect you to be somewhat of what you represent.

It may be entertainment to the 13 yr olds living in a suburb of cali etc. but when you craft this image and you employ all your resources into creating a persona even outside of the tracks then hell yea street cred should be analyzed. I don't think ya;ll know just how much impact Artist have over there listeners. If you know your not about that life, then why fabricate it and walk around like your really in the streets. Fine you makin some M's off the image because the music is good. Cool i respect that.

But when you go off in interviews, on TV, social media, and the actual public Fronting like pablo Escobar when your past CLEARLY states the polar opposite people are gonna get annoyed. When speaking on guys like Trick & Jeezy you are speaking on $@#*$$ who really lived the life there speaking on and still have plenty of people around them who are still in it. Strip all the gangsta ++# away, All the bias & hate and ask yourself........How do you want people to overlook a man who lies to your face everytime he speaks, not just on records but his whole persona in real life is made up
ohwell.gif

this

Originally Posted by alex2182

Originally Posted by HARM

How can +*%*%+ with absolutely no street cred in their own neighborhood question another mans street cred?

I don't get it ..

ya'll been on this same %$$* for years ..

this why the #$!!%$@ forum sucks
30t6p3b.gif

It's hilarious when Ross fans are so mad about street cred threads, it just makes it so obvious. How you gon have a body count and you puttin ppl in jail 
roll.gif

Sounds like a police Officer to me

but anyways ... this #%*@ is ******ed ..

a never ending cycle of +$%**#* ...

even if I wasn't a ross fan .. I get tired of seeing the same dumb %#! #%*@

EVERY. DAMN. DAY.

I been up Philly a few times and from the looks of it, if my man was'nt what he said he is them Philly Cats would pull his card. Lil Homey must be the "Truth" cause they standing behind him. Wale and Ross have no street cred what so ever. Ross was a CO and Wale worked at Sprint. None of those @%*@*% in #MMG besides Meek and Gunplay are ABOUT THAT LIFE. I listen to MMG/Ross then I listen to USDA/Jezzy adn Jezzy ABOUT THAT LIFE, ROSS DEF AINT
Stop it

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Cheese Wagstaff

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

$#!* is real on NT, huh 
laugh.gif

You can watch the evolution of Meek Mill on youtube.  Start with this video. Says he was 16. I'm not from Philly but from everything I've seen and heard Meek is official.

The kid came up outta the hood, paid his dues, did a lil' time, then blew up.He's not claiming to be Scarface kingpin like Ross either just a street rapper. guns, drugs, jail, etc.

If he was a phony he wouldn't have had the local support like he got even before the Ross deal. Meek is stamped by real hood dudes. I respect his grind most of all tho.

Originally Posted by illphillip

"nothing about the life is desirable"....ultimately the money is which is why people do it. I agree with what you're saying in principle. But people do a lot of wild %#+* for paper.

Sadly though, "the life" IS a reality.

This thread was bound to be comedy.

Cats act like "street cred" means nothing but quick to come in here and take up for their man talking about Ross being "affiliated". No contradiction there.

Ross is smart to align himself with credible dudes. Anytime these "crews" get put together, street dudes are usually a part of it.

Even he knows it means something to some people. Why else would he go out of his way to lie about his past if the truth didn't matter in some way?

If it doesn't mean anything to you....cool.

I #$%@ with Meek. "I'm A Boss" was the anthem for a minute. I don't know about "street cred". But I get an honest vibe from Meek that reflects in his music. From what I have heard of it.

Again, it doesn't have to be a rapper saying "I sell drugs and kill people" and me acting like I relate to that.

"Scared money don't make no money, if I ever go broke, I'ma take your money". That hunger. That determination. That willingness to take a risk. That get rich at all costs mentality. This is all relatable.

"They say they gon' rob me, see me never do %#+*". I been there. I grew up in a rough area. When I started going to good schools and hanging out with "the whiteboys", cats tried to play me. I used to hear whispers. Cats used to yell stupid %#+* out their windows. Nobody brought it to me straight up.

I couldn't quote one of Ross' lines from the same song. Does he have some relatable lyrics in his songs? I'm sure he does. But how can I relate when so much of what he SAYS is already questionable?

Go ahead and say it's "entertainment". As if that's a disclaimer that allows it all to be *%%@%+!#. You know who the first rapper to call himself an "entertainer" was? MC Hammer. I guess this is all progress for the better? It's a good thing that it's all for "entertainment" now?

You should have lost faith in Hip Hop when cats stopped rapping from the heart to put on a show for the masses.

Entertainment is what you perceive it. Some people find dog fighting entertaining. But dogs really die off that %#+*.

Music is an art. Art can entertain. Film making is an art. Some prefer films like Independence Day. Some prefer documentaries.

Sports can entertain. Some prefer WWE. Some prefer MMA. Some like the Harlem Globetrotters. Others the NBA. Though it's usually children that dig one more than the other.

Some people prefer the illusion and the fantasy. Others prefer a certain level of reality. To each, his own. But don't act like either perspective is THAT outlandish.

End rant. CashBanks, ThunderChunk and dreClark have said good things.

Great post.  Truth has been spoken...

Originally Posted by CashBanks

Originally Posted by tyisny

ohwell.gif

this
This.

Until you've worked with/or been around "at-risk" middle school, high school kids (in my experience, namely black males) who listen to this trash and believe this is life supposed to be, acting out what they hear their favorite rapper say NOT BECAUSE this is the only option and school is pointless, because all they wanna be is rappers and sell drugs because their favorite rapper said so--you don't understand. When you have to fight this cancerous mentality in your people that comes from music that YOU think is "just entertainment" is serious. VERY serious.

Originally Posted by YngSeanCombs12

tyisny wrote:

ohwell.gif

this
This.

Until you've worked with/or been around "at-risk" middle school, high school kids (in my experience, namely black males) who listen to this trash and believe this is life supposed to be, acting out what they hear their favorite rapper say NOT BECAUSE this is the only option and school is pointless, because all they wanna be is rappers and sell drugs because their favorite rapper said so--you don't understand. When you have to fight this cancerous mentality in your people that comes from music that YOU think is "just entertainment" is serious. VERY serious.

I've worked with "at risk" Oakland youth for almost six years now and I've always thought this line of thinking was complete BS.

The mentality doesn't come from the music.

I don't think you understand. Kids aren't acting out what they hear their favorite rappers say, they're mirroring behavior that they've witnessed from their fathers, uncles, cousins, brothers and mother's boy friends.

Blaming the music is asinine. Not saying it helps but to alleviate the myriad of other factors and put the blame solely on rap is ridiculous.

he aint never had a job you know he had to sell yay

"You like to mistake street #!#@! for real #!#@!" - K.Dot

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Originally Posted by YngSeanCombs12

this
This.

I've worked with "at risk" Oakland youth for almost six years now and I've always thought this line of thinking was complete BS.

The mentality doesn't come from the music.

I don't think you understand. Kids aren't acting out what they hear their favorite rappers say, they're mirroring behavior that they've witnessed from their fathers, uncles, cousins, brothers and mother's boy friends.

Blaming the music is asinine. Not saying it helps but to alleviate the myriad of other factors and put the blame solely on rap is ridiculous.
Agreed.
The environment creates the music, the music does not create the environment.

Back
Top Bottom