Merchants charging for credit card fees - Paging NT attorneys??

I understand this is something that may vary from state to state...

I live in PA for reference

does anyone know if it is unlawful to charge a fee for their credit card fee for payment, and then if that fee is tacked on to my bills next month, charge me an additional fee for the fee from previous month fee being paid via credit card?

to better explain it, suppose I have a $500 bill that I pay w/ my credit card, the next month the bills is $500 plus $15 for the fee from previous month payment, then the following month the bills is $500 plus $15.45 for the fee from previous month payment

F5018BD4-33D4-4E81-9990-B631B7B106DE.jpeg

some corner stores still do that in cali
i don't ever pay with card at spots that do that
seems too much like a tip to me

some corner stores still do that in cali
i don't ever pay with card at spots that do that
seems too much like a tip to me

I’m curious to the legality behind it. More trouble than its worth to argue it. But that charging a fee crap is corny.

Mom and pop stores shoot themselves in the foot with that crap though. 75 cent debit/credit card fees, $5 minimum to use debit card, or cash only despite already charging more for stuff than chain stores like target do. Then they’ll turn around and cry why no one supports small businesses all while doing multiple things which inconvenience the customer.

i remember when gas stations used to charge that fee
now they just charge lower per gallon
when u pay cash

that's why some places have a minimum purchase (usually gas station or corner stores) if you're using a CC since they get charged a ton of fees. so they aren't gonna sell you a bag of chips for $1 when they're gonna lose a bunch of money on that $1 charge

One of my local pizzerias does this. They also started charging for marinara sauce. Trying to grab extra money from the customers as much as they can.

Back
Top Bottom