Michael Jordan suing Chinese company

[h3]CHARLOTTE, NC[/h3]
NBA great and Charlotte Bobcats owner Michael Jordan announced Wednesday he was suing a Chinese sportswear and shoe manufacturer for unauthorized use of his name.

p_20111004195716766_202_97.JPG

According to the lawsuit, the company's name, "Qiaodan," is the moniker Jordan has been known by in China since he gained widespread popularity in the mid-1980s.

"A Chinese sports company has chosen to build a Chinese business off of my Chinese name without my permission," Jordan explained in a video message on his website.

"It pains me to see someone misrepresent my identity. I have no other choice but to turn to the courts."

Jordan said the lawsuit was not about money, but about "principle and protecting my name."

"Any monetary awards I might receive will be invested in growing the sport of basketball in China," he added.

The suit claims that Qiaodan's use of Jordan's name and its marketing tactics have misled Chinese consumers.

It says that a Shanghai sports product marketing company conducted a survey involving 400 respondents in 2009, and it found that 90 percent of young people in China's small cities believed Qiaodan Sports was Jordan's own brand in China.

Come'on Money is after them MONEY.  In all seriousness, good for him.  He should go after the manufatures that produce fake Jordans

I'm glad he finally decided to do something. And he's donating whatever money he wins from the lawsuit towards the advancement of basketball in China. Much respect MJ.

now in which court will this be pursued?

op, you really should link to the original article. without a source cited, this could be plagiarism, nt could get in trouble.

LOL at Mike and good luck!
Why?
Because Chinese language is unlike Korean or Japanese
built with words and has no alphabets which means
when they want to translate a Western name into Chinese,
they just use words that sound a like or maybe because the
meaning is good.
I don't see any success for MJ to successfully sue that Chinese
company, unless the Chinese company also used the
alphabetic lettering JORDAN on their appearal.

Originally Posted by calikush

And he's donating whatever money he wins from the lawsuit towards the advancement of basketball in China. Much respect MJ.

You really think he's going to do that? What does that even mean? How can we prove that it's going to "advance" basketball in China. He'll probably pocket the money and do more advertising in China and say that is advancing basketball.

http://espn.go.com/chicag...n-sports-company-limited

"Associated Press
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Former NBA star and current Bobcats owner Michael Jordan filed suit in a Chinese court against Qiaodan Sports Company Limited, a sportswear and footwear manufacturer, for unauthorized use of his name.

Jordan
In a statement released through his spokeswoman, Jordan says he's worked hard to establish his name and calls the issue "deeply disappointing to see a company build a business off my Chinese name without my permission, use the number 23 and even attempt to use the names of my children."

Jordan says, "This complaint is not about money, it's about principle and protecting my name."

The Chinese company has registered and uses the name "Qiaodan" -- the moniker Jordan has been known by in China since he gained widespread popularity in the mid-1980s.

Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press"

Back
Top Bottom