Michael Phelps: If he has a bad 2012 Olympics does that tarnish his legacy?

Had this debate with some people at a bar today...

I personally say no but it seems like many people are looking at it like a fall from grace if he does; he hasn't looked good so far and he was invincible just 4 years ago

your thoughts NT?

...No? 

Fans in America seem to have this "what have you done for me lately" attitude towards their athletes. Abroad they'd still love him. 

Don't forget all the things he won SINCE 2008. 

Dude is already the most prolific swimmer alive.

Last edited:
He has said he hated the 400.

He will win multiple Golds this year.

Besides he is the best swimmer of all time

...No?

Don't forget all the things he won SINCE 2008. 

Dude is already the most prolific swimmer alive.
I agree 110% but it seemed like I was in the minority on this today
If he wins even ONE gold medal, he'll be straight. 

Dude won EIGHT last time.

Thats just a slap in the face to everyone who even thinks they can swim. 
roll.gif

He'll still get his ESPN 30 for 30 in like 10 years. 

Last edited:
The problem isn't if he wins or lose the problem is the comments people close and around him that makes it bad

Last edited:
No, Phelps' legacy was cemented by his feats in the 2008 Games. He's clearly the greatest swimmer of all-time and I don't know if Lochte and Clary will challenge that title. I've long predicted Lochte will "outshine" Phelps in the current 2012 Games. I would speculate that Phelps has lost considerable motivation for training and long hours in the pool after his immense success in Beijing. His work ethic has long been in question, I've touched on this sentiment in past Olympics and swimming threads. It's so difficult to maintain dominance at an elite level with vast competition over multiple Olympic Games.

For perspective: I personally like Lochte Monster better but he has 4 golds total. Phelps won 6 golds in 2004 and 8 golds in 2008.

If you're a swimmer like Phelps, there should be no excuses about any challenge or event. Phelps lost because he was arrogant and ahead of himself. It's a good wake up call and what I talked about about before when I talked about how players got confused by the hype and media.

The IM showed how strong Ryan really is.

It will be disappointing if he doesn't take any gold medals, but the way I see it, he's won plenty. He doesn't have to prove anything to anyone.

lochte is just the better middle distance guy right now.. just look at the events lochte is swimming: 200 & 400 IM, 200 free and 200 back (and only the 4 x 200 free relay)

lochte can't touch phelps in the sprint events, which hurts lochte since he'll only be on the 1 relay team (whereas phelps will be on all 3)

phelps will still win 4 gold medals: 100 & 200 fly, 4 x 100 medley relay and 4 x 200 free relay

200 IM is a toss up.. and 4 x 100 free relay is stacked

it's really amazing what phelps has been able to do with swimming becoming more and more specialized by the event.. he should not have swam the 400 IM, you can see dude has bulked up a bit which has helped him in the sprints but obviously has hurt him in the longer races

i really just think people dont realize how difficult what phelps has done and is doing

Last edited:
i also think dude comes back again next olympics.. especially if he loses the 200 IM

swimming is just a very difficult sport, it wears you down.. you're in a pool for AT LEAST 3-5 hours a day.. you're just going up and down looking at a black line

he accomplished what he wanted to accomplish in '08.. and didn't really have that bunny to chase going into this olympics

but by losing and having to hear all the stuff he will hear during and after the olympics.. i think that will give him the drive to come back (dude will only be 31 next olympics).. he can come back and focus on 2 maybe 3 individual events and then swim all 3 relays again (and win another 4-5 gold medals)

Last edited:
Lochte is older than Phelps.

Also, Lochte seems to be more hungrier. Has that attitude that he has to prove something else - "Hey, I'm also great, it's not just Phelps" type of persona.

No ones touching dude's butterfly stroke. He's first in all his qualifying times besides IM. Id put money he takes the 200m IM over Lochte. He said he's retiring after this Olympics.

And you know you're the GOAT if anything less than gold is a failure. Dudes raised the bar so high for this sport.

seems ilke a stupid debate. I tend to not get into sports debates with people, becase 98% of the time, the other side has no idea what they are talking about, and it gets me highly annoyed......seems to be the case with you and your friends who you debated with.

Lochte is older than Phelps.

Also, Lochte seems to be more hungrier. Has that attitude that he has to prove something else - "Hey, I'm also great, it's not just Phelps" type of persona.
Phelps:   June 30, 1985 

Lochte: August 3, 1984

Uh...

Back
Top Bottom