Microfracture surgery anyone have it done? Whats the deal?

Yeah I know most of the time the meniscus wont heal on its own do to the lack of blood supply. The doctor wants to try and repair mine using the sutures, he said that if the tear is small enough its quite possible that one suture will be good enough to get the job done. As far as a menisectomy versus a repair in my case the doc says that he doesnt wanna go and remove the torn tissue because of arthritis issues later on. He also said that since Im young I have a better chance of healing compared to someone older (im 19). I opted for the repair because I want to preserve the tissue rather than just remove it because of possible arthritis later on.

I just had my patella fixed after dislocating it 5 times.

Did the surgery 2 weeks ago, and just started therapy.

Mine wasn't microfracture though.

Originally Posted by TeflanDon

How do you use the bathroom with that thing connected to you?

its nothin but velcro keepin you in, you just get out, and crutch to the bathroom.  

Did you get the motorized ice pack too?
na?
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by AirJapan707

No I'm positive microfracture has nothing to do with your meniscus. With damage to your meniscus you can get either a menisectomy or a meniscal repair. Depending on type of meniscal tear you have and lifestyle dictates the aproach dr.'s take to a meniscal tear.

Hey...idk. I tore my meniscus. it deteriorated over time, I got micro fracture knee surgery. I doubt i had this surgery for no reason. 

^ sorry I may have not been explaining myself correctly. A meniscus tear can lead to needing a microfracture, but the microfracture surgery itself isn't to fix or trim the meniscus but to try and fix the damage the torn meniscus did to your articular cartilage. Sorry about your knee problems. Hope you have a complete recovery.
happy.gif

ok doc so what your sayin is that meniscus damage if not treated over time can cause cartilage damage and when this happens then its microfracture time?

so is meniscus the outer layers that pads the bones and cartilage the inner core? im sure if thats the case then 90% of acl tears have some form of meniscus tear associated?

BTW ill be laid ou like you in 2 weeks jay spendin easter in rehab it really sux when this #++@ happens, I always found sport was a great way to escape the daily grind and feel good if things weren’t going well. Im watchin the news today and Dave Beckham goes down with a torn Achilles = world cup over.

Life sux sometimes
frown.gif

Originally Posted by irishbaz

ok doc so what your sayin is that meniscus damage if not treated over time can cause cartilage damage and when this happens then its microfracture time?

THIS.
I had a small tear (small meaning they couldn't confirm with the MRI, and hit me with a "yeah, you might have a slight tear" instead of "get that thing scoped stat")... after 5 years of playing ball afterwards, got to where I couldn't hoop for 30 minutes without it staying swollen for a week.

Got another MRI, got scoped for debridement, and when they were in there, realized that the tear had progressed, the meniscus was "shredded" (doctor's words) and the unattached portion of meniscus acted as a foreign body and wore down the articular cartilage almost to bone.

Ended up having a lateral meniscal transplant (replacing my meniscus with a cadaver's) and ACI (autologous chondrocyte implantation, reinjecting my own cells into the hole in my articular cartilage), and still not back to 100% after 18 months.

Long story short- if you suspect any cartilage damage, GET IT SCOPED, EARLY.

I still don't understand when microfracture surgery is needed, because I tore my ACL in 03 and then in 06 I tore every ligament in the same knee and shattered my PCL.....which they had to end up taking out. I used cadaver ligaments as the replacements but the doc never said anything about microfacture surgery. Anyhow now I'm starting to have crazy pain in my patella know when I play ball for a couple of hours.......I know i should go see the doc again, but recovery,rehab and everything with it is a hassle!!!

Back
Top Bottom