Mike Tyson vs. James 'Buster' Douglas 2/11/1990, Tokyo Japan

Wacthing this on ESPN Classic, one of my all time favorite fights. This fight alone (without the evidence of Lewis, Holyfield, etc fighting Mike) proves to methat Mike does not belong in the elite group of heavyweight champs. Completely out-boxed, and love the announcing which has Buster as "here tofight" the first 5 rounds or so until even he starts to give James some respect on just how well he is fighting. The disaster in the corner of Mike (tapwater on the left eye which was swelled shut?), the confidence of Douglas, and the end of the era of Tyson. I miss boxing, I always tape Ali, Foreman,Robinson, Frazier, etc fights when on TV. MMA seems to be the "in" thing right now, but boxing when it was big, was one of the best and mostimportant sports in this country. Sad that corruption, cheating and money took it all away. Anyway, ESPN 2 has been showing some classic fights, good to DVRand rewatch

Haha, I'm watching Zaire now. Incredible how Mike knocked down James in round 8, and he came back to dominate round 9 and knock him out round 10.

Sad. I remember watching this back in 1990, when I was 7, and this was when Mike Tyson was the end all, be all.

Buster Douglas wasnt running scared and kept throwing that jab. Tyson was without Kevin Rooney, with Don King and fighting in Japan on what was supposed to bea roll over. Tyson just stopped using what set him apart (speed, strength with either hand, head movement, combo's etc) and just became a homerun hitterand exposed himself.

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

I can't stand watching that fight.

tired.gif

And dmx, you talk about missing the good old days of boxing.

Yet you're so happy about the fight that essentially started the downfall of boxing.

So many reasons he lost that fight. When he was at his best he was one of the elite heavyweights of all time. And he should've beat Buster Douglas, the refscrewed him by letting him stay down for like 11 seconds. Not to mention the fact that he didn't have his trainer Kevin Rooney who was the one that madehim the great fighter that he was. After he lost him he was never the same.

In the 'Tyson' doc.

Mike said he wasn't training hard and was even getting dropped in sparring. He basically became a victim to his own success and hype.

can someone explain how corruption, money, and cheating ruined boxing? i've never followed it.

Shuges, boxing was dying regardless, this is just one of my favorite fights to watch. Really I prefer going farther back to watch boxing, but this is one ofthe few heavyweight fights that stand out from 1990 till today

Originally Posted by EAGLE 0N

In the 'Tyson' doc.

Mike said he wasn't training hard and was even getting dropped in sparring. He basically became a victim to his own success and hype.
Exactly, how does anyone that claims to be a fan of boxing not know that.

dmxfury, you can't be serious with yours
laugh.gif

my what? I know the people around him originally were gone. Cuss was dead, Atlas gone, Rooney gone, Don King in, etc, plus all the personal problems. Idon't base my comment on him not being an elite, all-time great just on this fight I just think it somewhat is a metaphor for that. Tyson was very verygood in his prime, but an all-time great? I just don't buy it in my opinion

Originally Posted by parada45

Everytime I watch this fight I hope Mike knocks him out
laugh.gif

Haha me too, i always feel like Buster shoudlve been KO'd on the knockdown but I think his mom kept him up RIP. Biggest upset ever
tired.gif

I don't base my comment on him not being an elite, all-time great just on this fight I just think it somewhat is a metaphor for that. Tyson was very very good in his prime, but an all-time great? I just don't buy it in my opinion
I agree with you. I dont have Mike in my top Heavyweights either. I dont think he's anywhere close to Frazier, Foreman,Liston, Evander, Lennox, Joe Louis, Marciano and Ali

Mike won alotta push over fights, and intimidated most guys.
Buster put that jab in his face and showed heart instead of crumbling under pressure.
Its no coincidence that every fighter who has flashed any kinda heart vs Tyson beat him. (well, Razor Ruddock didnt win, but he got robbed in their firstfight)

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

I don't base my comment on him not being an elite, all-time great just on this fight I just think it somewhat is a metaphor for that. Tyson was very very good in his prime, but an all-time great? I just don't buy it in my opinion
I agree with you. I dont have Mike in my top Heavyweights either. I dont think he's anywhere close to Frazier, Foreman, Liston, Evander, Lennox, Joe Louis, Marciano and Ali

Buster put that jab in his face and showed heart instead of crumbling under pressure.
Its no coincidence that every fighter who has flashed any kinda heart vs Tyson beat him. (well, Razor Ruddock didnt win, but he got robbed in their first fight)

I would still say in his prime, before his life went wild etc, he wouldve beaten Lennox Lewis and Holyfield. Of course theres no way to prove that.

Its HIS fault for not training for the Buster fight but i firmly believe he is being honest when he says that

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

EAGLE 0N wrote:

In the 'Tyson' doc.

Exactly, how does anyone that claims to be a fan of boxing not know that.

dmxfury, you can't be serious with yours
laugh.gif

I can count the heavyweights on one finger that I would take over Tyson in their prime.

Originally Posted by dmxfury

my what? I know the people around him originally were gone. Cuss was dead, Atlas gone, Rooney gone, Don King in, etc, plus all the personal problems. I don't base my comment on him not being an elite, all-time great just on this fight I just think it somewhat is a metaphor for that. Tyson was very very good in his prime, but an all-time great? I just don't buy it in my opinion
I heard Tyson and Teddy butted heads a lot during training and that they didn't like each other. I think Cus was the only one that knew howto communicate with Mike.

Originally Posted by AG 47

I can count the heavyweights on one finger that I would take over Tyson in their prime.
Ali, Brown Bomber, Dempsey, Johnson, Foreman, Linston, etc all on one finger?!

Originally Posted by Sir Rob A Lot

AG 47 wrote:

Ali, Brown Bomber, Dempsey, Johnson, Foreman, Linston, etc all on one finger?!

On one finger.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

I agree with you. I dont have Mike in my top Heavyweights either. I dont think he's anywhere close to Frazier, Foreman, Liston, Evander, Lennox, Joe Louis, Marciano and Ali

Its no coincidence that every fighter who has flashed any kinda heart vs Tyson beat him. (well, Razor Ruddock didnt win, but he got robbed in their first fight)

yet people still continue to hype up Mike Tyson

I never knew what the great fasination with this guy was

Back
Top Bottom