milage on cars

So one explain what the milage has to do with cars. Is a car that has 100k miles a bad buy? why or why not? what does it mean if it has high milage, other thanthe fact that its been driven -.-

EDIT: Heres a link of the car im talking about, also shows details of car
http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/ctd/1228165087.html this one has 60k and is a year 1999http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/cto/1227770055.html

unless that 100k car is a volvo, the more miles a car has on it means it (generally speaking) has a higher possibility of breaking down, or will need to havemore things replaced at a more frequent rate.

this is so subjective it's almost difficult to answer. if a car has been well taken care of than 100k is it's halfway point (roughly). if the car'sbeen used for off-roading or street racing than 100k is near death.

compare it to a human. age means a lot but what that person has done might mean more. A chain smoker might be 40 years old but I wouldn't bet he/she willlast to 60. Shaq is 37 but his knees are like 70. Jack Lalanne is 94 and going strong (he's the guy from the 1950's fitness videos).

it's all relative

correct me if i'm mistaken, but a lot of cars transmissions go out around 100-130k...which is an expensive fix.

2004 car? that's almost 20k miles per year. that's a high average. that car might be an 04 but it's been ridden hard.

10-12k maybe 15k a year is the max. beyond that, it's been abused.

It depends on how well the car was cared for dring those 100k miles. If it was meticulously maintained and cared for, it would go another 100-150k easily, butsince thats a rarity to find, 100k miles is most likely a bad thing.

Originally Posted by rsdplaya

correct me if i'm mistaken, but a lot of cars transmissions go out around 100-130k...which is an expensive fix.
It depends on the car. We had a 1993 Accord, it currently has over 1/4 million miles on it..original motor and transmission.

And there are the unlucky ones who don't even make it home from the dealership on day of delivery.
laugh.gif

It's all about how it's taken care of. I'd much rather have a car with 100k on it that's been properly maintained as oppose to a 50k mile carthat say, never had the oil changed.

99 with low miles might be a better bet. either way you should take it to a mechanic you trust before you sign anything and run a car fax, even then you neverreally know what you're getting.

BTW in case you aren't aware, BMW is a luxury car, the upfront price you pay is nothing, the maintenance is what's going to cost. Don't get a BMWif you aren't ready to pay a lot in repair costs. I know a guy who bought an 03 3 series three months ago cause it was a great deal. His window has beenstuck down for 3 weeks because he can't afford to get it fixed.

Originally Posted by infamousod

99 with low miles might be a better bet. either way you should take it to a mechanic you trust before you sign anything and run a car fax, even then you never really know what you're getting.

BTW in case you aren't aware, BMW is a luxury car, the upfront price you pay is nothing, the maintenance is what's going to cost. Don't get a BMW if you aren't ready to pay a lot in repair costs. I know a guy who bought an 03 3 series three months ago cause it was a great deal. His window has been stuck down for 3 weeks because he can't afford to get it fixed.
^keep listening to this guy

Originally Posted by infamousod

this is so subjective it's almost difficult to answer. if a car has been well taken care of than 100k is it's halfway point (roughly). if the car's been used for off-roading or street racing than 100k is near death.

compare it to a human. age means a lot but what that person has done might mean more. A chain smoker might be 40 years old but I wouldn't bet he/she will last to 60. [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Shaq is 37 but his knees are like 70[/color]. Jack Lalanne is 94 and going strong (he's the guy from the 1950's fitness videos).

it's all relative
made me
laugh.gif

my first car was a 15 year old mercedes, I drove a 6 series '89 BMW for a while and my sister has an Audi. all had problems, I have a civic now.

it's a total crapshoot everytime in my experience. but if the owner is about his business and has records for all repairs and such I would feel better.

if you're buying in the New Orleans area beware of a car with "slight water damage"

Back
Top Bottom