Minimum Wage laws are RACIST!

Discussion in 'General' started by mo matik, Nov 23, 2015.

1. mo matik

mo matik

What is the most common complaint you hear from young grads trying to get a job and start their careers?

Some libertarians argue that minimum wage laws are a major road block to gaining experience. Prior to minimum wage, employers were able to hire more people at entry level positions, paying them less, but giving them valuable on the job training and experience. Having gained that experience, employees would then have more opportunities open to them moving forward.

Thomas Sowell:

Milton Friedman:

Walter E Williams. A longer video covering more than just minimum wage but, if you're interested, it's worth the watch:

When I was younger and heavily left leaning, I couldn't see the rationale of conservatives. It literally seemed like an incoherent and illogical position to me. This bothered me though, because I knew there must be some coherence in that position for it to be so popular. Simple arguments like "they're all racist, they're all greedy, etc" could not account for such a popular position.

I'm fortunate to have found these public figures and economists, and I wanted to share this with NT and spark a discussion. Yes, forreal. Ignore the overly dramatic title :lol:

I see a lot of support for further increases in minimum wage as we're approaching the new election year. But further increases in the minimum wage will most likely produce further unemployment.

Lets take Seattle, which recently passed a 15/hour minimum wage law to be phased in over time, as a case study. This article was just posted last month. MSA = metropolitan statistical area

http://www.aei.org/publication/mini...-fell-700-vs-5800-food-jobs-in-rest-of-state/

HEATHEN and daytona 5000 like this.
  2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN

Will post later, but first.....

Dude Mo Matik, where TF you been breh?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  3. beezygotsole

beezygotsole

So you're blaming lack of jobs for recent grads to the $7.25 federal minimum wage?

4. tr1ll

tr1ll

If Im readying about Seattle correctly, people pretty much left their food jobs for other(better?) minimum wage job?

5. mo matik

mo matik

:nerd: Long story short, school and getting lost in other parts of the interwebz

Of course there are many factors that contribute to big issues like this. But if minimum wage laws are a significant contribution to this problem, then at least it's something we can easily address.

We can't do much to stifle technological advancements in automation, artificial intelligence, and machine learning. We can't do much to stop businesses from moving their departments overseas. We can't do much about racist business owners who won't hire minorities (other than what we already do, which is to make it illegal), but we can change legislation.

It's a possibility, but very unlikely. Restaurant jobs in all of Washington had been steadily increasing for the 5 years prior. And in that time, while people were exiting and entering the industry, there continued to be steady growth. All of a sudden, right when workers in the Seattle area are expecting a massive raise they decide to perform a mass exodus from the industry...? And meanwhile, in other parts of the state where workers are not expecting a raise, they remained in the industry and the industry overall continued to grow....that sounds very coincidental.

6. noskey

noskey

I cant be sure, but I don't think 16 year old's and uneducated people are the reason (or even contributing to why) I'm having trouble breaking into my chosen field after graduating.

7. mo matik

mo matik

I don't think I understand your point fully. I don't see where you got the impression that I'm blaming uneducated people? 16 year olds don't pass legislation.

8. mynameaintg

mynameaintg

i would edit out the first sentence of your original post. it doesn't correlate with minimum wage jobs at all.

9. mynameaintg

mynameaintg

this argument is totally invalid because of internships both paid and unpaid.

10. mo matik

mo matik

I think it does. I'm not talking about work experience strictly within the field grads are pursuing professionally. Even work at a corner store is valuable experience in management, understanding value and worth, and dealing with customers to name a few. But even then, entry level jobs in many different industries would be able take in more young people looking to build their CVs without current minimum wage laws as they are.

Could you elaborate?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  11. noskey

noskey

I don't think you are blaming uneducated people. My point is that minimum wage has no direct correlation to college grads being underemployed (as far as I've seen). No one I know is graduating college trying to work at a corner store or fast food. I worked a barely above min. wage job through college, and am now slightly less underemployed.

12. wayniac211

wayniac211

I find it very off that min wage stays yet things everywhere are more expensive. They try and hide that "downsizing" bs but I'm not fooled!

13. danikerhino

danikerhino

Yeah my grandpa always tell me you could be a normal sales person and still have enough to get a house and live the American dream. Seems like that wage\inflation relationship is unbalanced as hell nowadays.

14. mo matik

mo matik

I think you're misunderstanding the argument. I'm not saying college grads are looking for minimum wage jobs.

I'm saying that minimum wage works against young people trying to get into the work force.

Only one example of this is college grads who can't find work in their respective fields because they don't have experience.

But if minimum wage laws were not a factor, these college kids would have had more opportunities to build work experience during high school, summers, and during college. So that when they did eventually graduate, they would already possess the experience required for professional hires.

15. biggie62

biggie62

The counter economic argument is that by paying people more, you will increase spending and thus create more jobs because more money is flowing into the economy as a whole and thus spent hiring even more people. It's sort of trickle down economics, except well, Republicans and conservatives hate this sort of explanation for it. It's called the velocity of money and it does work, in theory, just like trickle down economics is just a theory. Well, a theory that has been proven false over the past 33 years :lol:

16. slighted

slighted

So unpaid internships (a lot of them are unpaid) count here or nah?

17. mangudai954

mangudai954

I remember reading an article stating the same thing about auto mechanics.

18. zapatohead408

zapatohead408

So let me get this straight OP. You think that if there were no minimum wage, the average person would benefit because they could now work, for a low amount of money? All minimum wage means is "If I could pay you less, I would." I've read arguments from conservatives such as Ann Coulter, the lady who is a huge trump supporter, and she argues that if there's less illegal immigrants in this country, people won't be able to undercut each other when it comes to the workforce, thus driving the wages higher. It seems to me that by getting rid of the minimum wage, we would have the same problem.

Me personally, getting rid of the minimum wage doesn't affect me. I'm blessed to be in the beginning of a career I enjoy so far, making a very good amount of money. I also live in an area with a lot of work. I'm part of a labor union, so we have our own minimum wage. We all know what we make, we're all equal. Because of our nice pay, the non-union factor has to pay a competitive rate as well. So me being in a labor union, there's absolutely no way in hell I can support any conservative.

Here's the bottom line OP, there's been a long struggle between rich and poor in this country. It dates back to the 1800's. Employers and contractors, for the most part always attempt to boost their profits by any means necessary. This fight for worker's rights has always been there and will always be there. So I ask you this OP, if we let them take away the minimum wage (which is a joke since it's so low anyways), what's next? Should we also let them take away our weekends? How about we go back to 16 hour shifts? You know what? 15 and a half is too old to start work. Why not let our 5 year old kids work for a few dollars an hour so they can get this experience? Also, no safety regulations, they cost too much and kill productivity.

edit: Also, your title bothers me, I have no idea how it's related to your post.

19. mo matik

mo matik

The question of internships does throw a wrench in this theory.

But this article makes the argument that unpaid internships don't effectively make up for the losses produced by minimum wage because there is too much red tape around such programs.

http://thefederalist.com/2015/05/11/unpaid-internships-do-as-congress-says-not-as-it-does/

20. boris

boris

Lowering or eliminating minimum wage just gives employers the option to pay people less. We should probably stop moving jobs outside of the United States.