Minority youngsters dying weekly on Chicago's streets

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

mneezy1 wrote:
Truly a shame. And Chicago is Obama's "city."

what the hell is that supposed to mean??? Because he's from here we're supposed to get special treatment??? The kids here are more important than the kids in little rock or in memphis or seattle or l.a??? That's a stupid !$$ statement bro.

As far as this goes, this is nothing new here for 2yrs straight 07 & 08 (it was actually cool this yr tho) we had over 40 people shot (30 of which died) during the course of a single weekend and the media didn't say %#%+ nor did the government make any fuss about it. But because now Barack is in office all of a sudden its "whats going on in his city" Kids have been getting murdered and politicians have been speaking out on the issue to no avail. Government can only do sooooo much, its the responsibility of the parents to instill some values, morals, and understanding that life is precious yours as well as those around you. These kids don't have that, so no matter what programs are implemented they aren't getting that necessary input at home and its sad

Can you please give me a link to this,because if true that is absolutely insane.

Originally Posted by AntBanks81

basically no one cares about these lives lost. its in our papers every week. I hate that children can't be allowed to grow and play. the gangs are a heavy problem but not the only one.

I agree that if they were white, it would be on news 24/7 but its become so common that these evil fools are wiping out children left and right. I probably will move to suburbs after my kids are born cause I will erase a %+#**! whole family for harming one of mine.

I ask that you all say a prayer for children everywhere, especially Chicago cause its not right. its frustrating cause its like what can I do. any chicago nters should check out the blackstar project. its a mentoring program that involves speaking at elementary and high schools monthly. pm me if you have any questions. I can only hope it makes a difference.
Hit me with that info.

Good looks on bringing that to my attention... definitely not trying to misrepresent those who suffered that ordeal

Originally Posted by HAZE323

not that it maters he probly related to los arellanos
What do you know about his nationality, family, business in general, etc? Seems like you saw a kid with a similar last name and figured "letme be a wiseass about this and try to put one and one together." Thanks Sherlock Holmes.

The culture of heralding nihilism and thuggery as it exists among a disproportionately large population of young minorities across the USA is somethingthat's been ingrained in their minds over the past several generations with each successive generation trying to outdo the extreme behavior of the previousone. There isn't just one societal factor responsible for this, but there is a predominant culture, which places the need to "keep it real" aboveall else, even life itself.

[h2]Police: 36 Shot, 2 Stabbed, 9 Dead Over Weekend[/h2][h3]Daley: 'Know where your children are. It's going to be a long summer, and parents better capture this responsibility.'[/h3]CHICAGO (CBS) ―
wbbm0419phillipsaveshooting.jpg
Click to enlarge A crowd gathers as police secure the scene where two teens were shot dead in the South Shore neighborhood late Friday. It was one of nearly 20 shootings in the city in just 12 hours Friday night.
CBS

http://1 of 1http://
Chicago police say 36 people were shot and two people were stabbed over the weekend; nine of those victims died. Authorities said that, although that isa large number of violent crimes for such a short time span, it is not unusual as the weather gets warmer.

images_image_281093753.gif
Map Of The Shootings

Mayor Richard M. Daley said Monday that 13 of the victims were Chicago Public Schools students.

"What we're asking parents to do," Daley said, "is know where your children are. It's going to be a long summer, and parents bettercapture this responsibility."

Chicago police say that warmer weather means more opportunities for violent crime, so they are stepping up patrols and focusing their efforts on targeting gangleaders.

Gunfire hit neighborhoods from the north to the west to the south.

Ald. Isaac Carothers (29th) represents the Austin neighborhood. Like the police, he believes one reason for the rash of violence this weekend is warmerweather. And because he fears a long and violent hot summer, he wants more police in his neighborhood and other hot spots.

"I don't want to see gang and tact in areas that don't have violence. Those teams should be redeployed in areas that have violence,"Carothers said.

Police top brass agree, and say they've already assigned more officers to problem areas.

But they point out that the community needs to do its part by keeping juveniles off the street after curfew. Five of those shot were out after 11 p.m.

For the sake of the children, community activists encourage police to enforce the law.

"Hold those kids accountable," said Rev. Ira Acree of the South Austin Coaltion. "Get them off the streets. That would be a step in the rightdirection.

Curfew for teenagers 16 and under is 11 o'clock on the weekends, 10 o'clock Sunday through Thursday.

Parents of teenagers picked up for violating curfew can face a fine of $500.

Among those who were killed, Edward Black, 25, died after a gunman shot him in the chest as he stood with a friend in the 800 block of South Karlov at about12:30 a.m. Monday.

About 7 p.m. Friday, Marcus Hendricks, 34, of Flossmoor, was fatally shot in the abdomen at 714 W. 115th St. and pronounced dead at Advocate Christ MedicalCenter in Oak Lawn at 8 p.m., the Cook County Medical Examiner's office said.

Bennie Teague, 39, of the 6200 block of South Sacramento Avenue, was charged with one count of first-degree murder for Hendricks' death. He was alsocharged with three counts of attempted first-degree murder for allegedly firing shots at responding officers. Police recovered an AK-47 assault rifle from thescene, police said.

About 9:30 p.m. Friday, two 18-year-old men were fatally shot at 7555 S. Phillips Ave., authorities said. Killed were Melvin Thomas, of 14922 Washington Ave.in Harvey, and Rhonell Savala, of 9750 S. Hoxie Ave., the medical examiner's office said. One of the men suffered a gunshot wound to the chest and back andthe other was shot in the neck, police said.

About 10:50 p.m. Friday, Ricardo Sanchez, 65, of 8439 S. Exchange Ave., was found fatally shot outside his home after an attempted robbery, authorities said.He was pronounced dead at Advocate Christ Medical Center at 12:47 a.m. Saturday, the medical examiner's office said.

About 5:50 a.m. Saturday, Michael Giles, 26, of 336 N. Avers Ave., was fatally shot in his home, authorities said. He was pronounced dead at 6:50 a.m. at MountSinai Hospital.

About 11:20 a.m. Saturday, Raul Lemus, 28, of 4630 S. Talman Ave., was fatally shot in the abdomen in an apparent gang-related shooting at an auto shop at 2520W. 59th St., authorities said. He was pronounced dead at John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County at 4:16 a.m. Sunday, the medical examiner's officesaid.

Late Sunday, Angel Ramirez, 26, and four other people were shot in a gang-related drive-by shooting on the 2800 block of West 21st Street. Ramirez, of 2714 W.23rd St., was later pronounced dead at Mount Sinai Hospital.

Details on the ninth homicide of the weekend were not immediately available.

Chicago Police Supt. Jody Weis says more officers have been deployed to the city's violent areas, but he says a lot of the violence involves young people,after curfew, and parents need to help stop them.

"You just have too many guns, gangs, too many weapons out here. That's why we have to work hard to take them off. Chicago has probably enjoyed thegreatest success in taking weapons off the street," Weis said.

Police admit that three dozen shootings in one weekend is a lot, but through the end of March in Chicago, violent crime was down. On Friday, 15 people wereshot -- four fatally -- between noon Friday and midnight Saturday, police said.

No one has been charged in any of the shootings except for the police involved incident, where Teague was charged with murder and attempted murder, police saidearly Monday.

Chicago Police spokeswoman Monique Bond says at least 14 shootings were gang related. She says three other victims were innocent bystanders. The othershootings remain under investigations.
Detectives from all areas of the city, Harrison, Calumet, Wentworth and Grand Central are investigating the shootingsand Belmont Area detectives probed the stabbings.

link

Separate article

An outburst of gunfire rattled the city during the weekend, with at least nine people killed in 36 separate acts of violence. The shootings were reported fromFriday until Monday morning, police spokeswoman Monique Bond said Monday. They included gang shootings, drive-by attacks, and even one case in which someoneused an AK-47 to shoot up a plumbing supply store. Then on Monday evening, a man was shot to death and three other people were wounded in a robbery attempt ata McDonald's, police said. Authorities did not immediately say whether any of the weekend shootings were thought to be related.

Police Superintendent Jody Weis blamed an excess of guns and gangs.

"There are just too many weaponshere," Weis said Sunday. "Too many guns, too many gangs."

During the same weekend last year, there were 19 shootings, including four homicides, and 21 shootings were reported during the sameweekend in 2006, police statistics show.

New police data released Saturday showed Chicago's murder rate for March was down about 1 percent from March 2007.

link

Originally Posted by BwooDFolkGD74

this is taught behavior

started a long long time ago

it seems like it will always be the same
frown.gif

and that's the sad part. Anytime you got kids getting suspended for fighting and the first thing a parent asks is "did you win?" there issomething terribly wrong.....having two year olds fight and thinking it's cute when they walk around throwing punches at people. When kids are cussing andtalking back before they know their ABCs and u recording it and laughing.....

Parenting definitely needs to take it up a notch. Like--for real. Just in my experiences, parents of problem kids make too many dam excuses. Ok, Iunderstand he saw this and that growing up, but he still needs to be held accountable for his actions. they baby them, and let them get away with everythingthen when they get 15 and 16 they get the shrugging the shoulders on some "I don't know what to do...."

alien.gif

What do you know about his nationality, family, business in general, etc? Seems like you saw a kid with a similar last name and figured "let me be a wiseass about this and try to put one and one together." Thanks Sherlock Holmes.

did i say he was or did i say probly .....and look at the kid he doesnt look like a gangster.and regular kids dont end up getting killed the way he did

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

Originally Posted by HAZE323

not that it maters he probly related to los arellanos
What do you know about his nationality, family, business in general, etc? Seems like you saw a kid with a similar last name and figured "let me be a wiseass about this and try to put one and one together." Thanks Sherlock Holmes.

The culture of heralding nihilism and thuggery as it exists among a disproportionately large population of young minorities across the USA is something that's been ingrained in their minds over the past several generations with each successive generation trying to outdo the extreme behavior of the previous one. There isn't just one societal factor responsible for this, but there is a predominant culture, which places the need to "keep it real" above all else, even life itself.
Agree with the highlighted.
At the end of the day,. no matter how many discussions we have, there's nothing any of us can do.
ohwell.gif

- It can/will get much worse
smh.gif
eek.gif
smh.gif

- It's gonna look like hell in this joint by like 2012.

- Reckless. That will be an understatement.

Originally Posted by Methedy24

smh.gif
eek.gif
smh.gif

Ehh, keep in mind, most of the whites in the chi area will probably move out. and only enter when they go to work. chi town is done.

Wow it really amazes me how many people outside of Chicago didnt know about this deadly weekend that happened LAST year. It really disgusts me how many of youare racial profiling in this thread. Just because i am caucasian does not mean that i havent lived a tough life. Grant it i havent experieced stereotyping tothe point of an african american, but it is still out there. To the person that said that if they were all white victims then it would be all over the news,thats BS! Everyday i read the newspaper and watch the evening news, sadly there are a lot of homicides that happen in our city, all of which are in the news. It's sad that so many youths decide to lead a life of crime. It just so happens that the majority of the youths live in poverty in which the majority isafrican american. There is no special treatment in this city because of Obama. If Obama never became the president, people would still not know the extent ofviolence in Chicago. I guess that is another benefit of Obama in office. People's interest in Chicago is rising and it's a beautiful thing. I hopesoon that the whole nation will be aware of the senseless violence that goes on in this great city of Chicago. Hopefully all this nonsense will subside oneday. PEACE & CHI-TOWN LOVE

And to those who want cliffnotes: READ FOR ONCE IN YOUR LIFE!!! Stimulate you mind.

Originally Posted by Gordon Gekko 979

smh.gif
eek.gif
smh.gif

Ehh, keep in mind, most of the whites in the chi area will probably move out. and only enter when they go to work. chi town is done.

you sound really stupid my friend. Its obvious you don't live here or know anything about whats going on. In all actuality, whites are moving back into thecity from the suburbs and they are pushing the minorities out to the burbs. The city has too much going on for it to be done fam.
laugh.gif
smh.gif
@ making a statementjust to type.

smh.gif
eek.gif
smh.gif

you sound really stupid my friend. Its obvious you don't live here or know anything about whats going on. In all actuality, whites are moving back into the city from the suburbs and they are pushing the minorities out to the burbs. The city has too much going on for it to be done fam.
laugh.gif
smh.gif
@ making a statement just to type.
well since the insults have begun,
laugh.gif
at your city harboringthugs that are killing each other. someone in this thread actual had the nerve to blame the government and nixon
indifferent.gif

No matter where you go in Chicago or the suburbs, there is a melting pot of ethnicities. It's just how it is in Chicago.

smh.gif
eek.gif
smh.gif

you sound really stupid my friend. Its obvious you don't live here or know anything about whats going on. In all actuality, whites are moving back into the city from the suburbs and they are pushing the minorities out to the burbs. The city has too much going on for it to be done fam.
laugh.gif
smh.gif
laugh.gif
at your city harboring thugs that are killing each other. someone in this thread actual had the nerve to blame the government and nixon
indifferent.gif

You sound extremely niave... there is no place in the world where people aren't killing each other, therefore every city in every country is harboring"thugs" that are killing each other. I would place more blame on Reagan for the influx of drugs into our society than I would place on Nixon for thedecline of urban america but meh... It all boils down to the household.

smh.gif
eek.gif
smh.gif

laugh.gif
smh.gif
laugh.gif
at your city harboring thugs that are killing each other. someone in this thread actual had the nerve to blame the government and nixon
indifferent.gif

You sound extremely niave... there is no place in the world where people aren't killing each other, therefore every city in every country is harboring "thugs" that are killing each other. I would place more blame on Reagan for the influx of drugs into our society than I would place on Nixon for the decline of urban america but meh... It all boils down to the household.
pretty much.

Originally Posted by arrjae

weekly?
smh.gif

gov't isnt doing anything?
smh.gif
What can the gov't do? Bring in more police? Pay for people to turn in their guns? Pump more money into local gov't and schools - the veryinsitutions that squander it away on other things?

The responsibility lies with the people. It starts with the family, the upbringing, the general culture in these places that breeds the kind of people who seeviolence and death as nothing out of the ordinaryl. Until that changes, nothing else will.

Man im sorry to hear this. I just hope im able to keep my kids (when i have some) safe and away from this madness.

laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
yowhat the hail you talkin about? do you live in chicago?

Back
Top Bottom