MIS student and I feeling like switching majors..NEED E-Support

So I am majoring in Management Information Systems for a year now and I don't feel confident with this major...especially with the job outlook in the future.
I was a nursing major that finished all the pre reqs except for Microbio but suddenly switched to MIS because I wasn't emotionally ready for nursing school in the future.

So with that said....I don't know what direction I want to pursue...I've switch my major left and right and I feel like I am stuck on this road forever.

Should I stick with the MIS or go back for nursing?
Any advice you guys can recommend?

I am in the Silicon Valley btw.

First I've heard that with the IT field. Can jobs in your area of study be outsourced?

IS is booming right now my man. Network, work hard in school, and you'll be alright. I'm minoring in CIS and I hear nothing but good things from grads that landed jobs right out of school (indianapolis, Chitown, etc). But if you don't feel confident regarding your major or don't think you'll like working in that type of industry, I'd suggest switch then obviously.

IS is booming right now my man. Network, work hard in school, and you'll be alright. I'm minoring in CIS and I hear nothing but good things from grads that landed jobs right out of school (indianapolis, Chitown, etc). But if you don't feel confident regarding your major or don't think you'll like working in that type of industry, I'd suggest switch then obviously.

The fact I am not networking right now is probably explains why I am feeling this way. A lot of people said networking is one of the most important aspect in the MIS field.
I need to step up my game...

damn... sounds like me 10+ years ago.

I have a degree in MIS. Well.. technically its a BS in Business Administration with an emphasis in MIS (thats how my schools program was setup), but the details arent important.

I was in a somewhat similar situation as you. Started off as a History major but ended up switching because the History dept at my school was pretty crappy and the job prospects with a History degree were pretty slim (outside of pursuing a law degree which i didnt want to do). I made the switch to Business Admin and after taking an entry level MIS class decided that I would pursue that path.

FFWD to my senior year in school, and I just was not feeling it at all. I dreaded it, but at that point I didnt feel like choosing a different major and extending my school for another year (or more). I just said eff it, finished my coursework, graduated, and decided that I would figure it out afterwards.

I ended up a different field altogether (Finance). My degree was merely a tool to get my foot in the door. Granted, the job market today is noticably different than it was back in 02-03, but I still think that you could parlay your MIS degree into a different entry level business related job.

If you feel like staying in school another year or more to switch, then do so, but I would recommend just finishing out, getting your degree, and then trying to look for work in whatever field you want to work in.

The fact I am not networking right now is probably explains why I am feeling this way. A lot of people said networking is one of the most important aspect in the MIS field.
I need to step up my game...

Networking is key in any field.
But I don't think you'll have too much of an issue finding a job with either one of those majors. Every nursing major I know had a job within a couple months after graduation with no problem at all.

I'm a MIS major myself and outside of networking you should really learn stuff outside of school if it's something you're really interested in. Because a lot of entry level jobs I've seen require a certain understanding of tasks that they don't teach in school. At least they don't at my university.

Networking is key in any field.
But I don't think you'll have too much of an issue finding a job with either one of those majors. Every nursing major I know had a job within a couple months after graduation with no problem at all.

I'm a MIS major myself and outside of networking you should really learn stuff outside of school if it's something you're really interested in. Because a lot of entry level jobs I've seen require a certain understanding of tasks that they don't teach in school. At least they don't at my university.

That's great to hear there's a fellow MIS major on NT! What are some stuff that you are trying to pick up on?

One of my professors brought up some certifications from Microsoft...something like Management? I don't remember.
I am also looking into random certifications as well.

@Mojodmonky1: Yeah man...it's a tough decision I have to make. I know we all want to make a lot of money and have a stable job. It just sucks that I don't know which route to lead me to the promise land. :tongue:

One of my friends just told me this too.... "Get in, get out, get money" :rofl:

Last edited:
I'm old and have so many stories to tell you.... I'll bore you with one.

I was an accounting major 10 years ago when the AA scandal broke out. All those accountants were laid off and it looked like accounting systems were going to make the field obsolete.

Nowadays accounting is one of the most sought after degrees because there is a shortage.

My wife is in the medical field and if you can stomach it and put up with the long hours it is very rewarding. Don't let what you think the future may be influence your major today.

Also don't listen to the business people who tell you about networking all day. Networking is more important to those of us that have a degree but not a skill. Computer Science, Nursing...that's a skill. Either one and you should be fine.

Lotta old heads in this thread dropping gems right now

:nthat:

OP I wish I had something to tell you besides me switching from Finance to Speech-Language Pathology after doing 2 years of business classes already and was a semester shy of graduating with my associates in corporate finance.

Something in me knew that that field and career was not going to make me happy in the long run so I looked at what I was interested in and my natural skill set and figured a job in something like counseling but with more medical aspects was something I wanted to do.

I'm pretty happy right now. Gotta hella grad school loans but i'll be happy paying these ***** off.

It's not just about going with your gut though....you gotta do your own research, especially job prospects and ability to maneuver into higher positions in the future to name a few.

GL.

MIS major checking in and I'm feeling the same way lol,, I've been hearing grads say most entry level jobs need 3-5 year experience. :smh:

I have an MIS degree and there is different type of jobs you can go for from networking to programming it depends what you like to do. I took classes in all areas. I do db maintenance and requires SQL. I been a support technician as well in a previous position. I think getting an internship would be smart so you can figure out what direction you want to go in

That's great to hear there's a fellow MIS major on NT! What are some stuff that you are trying to pick up on?

One of my professors brought up some certifications from Microsoft...something like Management? I don't remember.
I am also looking into random certifications as well.

@Mojodmonky1: Yeah man...it's a tough decision I have to make. I know we all want to make a lot of money and have a stable job. It just sucks that I don't know which route to lead me to the promise land. :tongue:

One of my friends just told me this too.... "Get in, get out, get money" :rofl:

I don't know much about Microsoft certs, the only cert I have is Security+, looking into Linux+ and maybe CCNA. My focus in Information Security, rather it's just information assurance or cyber security.

But what I've been teaching myself is Linux, I'm trying to learn everything I can about it. I know the basic commands and whatnot, but I want to know how it works internally. Going to build a Linux system from source code once I find enough free time.

Maybe the fact that with a nursing degree, you know your going what your going to do that makes your goal more clear.
Unlike with MIS, there are so many routes to choose from that's is why I am not confident in myself and this major.
It's been tough on me lately. I'll just try my best this semester and pretty much talk to MIS graduates and see how their career turned out.

:smokin
I love the internet...so many helpful people here. :smokin :D

Nothing wrong with nursing...plenty of jobs...think Cali is the only area where it's over saturated

Edit: maybe NYC too

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom