Mitt Romney responds to allegations of bullying gay classmates in high school.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2012/05/10/national/w083439D47.DTL
Mitt Romney apologized Thursday to classmates he may have offended by "hijinks and pranks during high school" and insisted he didn't know that some were gay.

The Republican presidential candidate issued the apology during a hastily arranged radio interview after The Washington Post reported Thursday that he had held down classmate John Lauber and cut off his bleached blond hair when they were students at a prestigious boarding school in the wealthy Detroit suburb of Bloomfield Hills, Mich.

The Post suggested Lauber was bullied because he was gay.

"The people involved didn't come out of the closet until years later," Romney told a Fox News radio show. "I had no idea that this person might have been gay."

"I participated in a lot of hijinks and pranks during high school and some may have gone too far. And for that I apologize," he added.

The report and Romney's defense come as his inconsistent record on gay-rights — though iron-clad opposition to gay unions — is coming under scrutiny following President Barack Obama's embrace of same-sex marriage. He defended some gay rights when he ran for governor of Massachusetts but was a leading voice against gay marriage when courts made it legal in the state.

The Post report cites five classmates of Romney's at Cranbrook School recounting details of Romney's encounter with Lauber, whose bleached blond hair fell into his face. Romney led a group of boys that tackled Lauber. Romney cut off his hair with scissors as Lauber's eyes were "filling with tears," according to the Post.

The paper also recounted another incident where Romney shouted "atta girl" at a different student who, years later, came out as gay.

Romney was asked about Lauber during the radio interview. "I don't remember that incident," he said. "I certainly don't believe that I thought the fellow was homosexual. That was the furthest thing from our minds back in the 1960s. Lauber is now deceased, the Post said.

No-Apology1.jpg

who is Mitt Romney?

I'd hate for people to judge me based on things I did in high school.

Why do you think you don't want people to judge you? Should people not judge you because YOU would hate them to?
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif

I'm no fan of Romney, but these aren't things that would bother me if I was considering voting for him.
As cliche as it sounds, kids will be kids. Bullying is a serious issue, but these accounts don't sound like more than just the ignorance of youth.

eek.gif
KingLouisXIV that's a sn I haven't seen in a few years

I'm against bullying and hate crimes but I'm also against digging up dirt from decades past.

I still can't fathom how someone like Mitt Romney has the following that he has. This country is going to fall straight on its face. It's 2012 and we're still debating whether or not gay people should be allowed get married? Really?

This doesn't surprise me one bit. Mitt Romney seems like a very hateful person and the type of person that would do anything to "fit in."

A republican showing hatred based on stereotypes and discrimination... We've never heard that story before.

Romney was asked about Lauber during the radio interview. "I don't remember that incident," he said. "I certainly don't believe that I thought the fellow was homosexual

I think I'd remember chasing down, forcibly restraining, and assaulting a classmate. What do you think, NikeTalk? Youthful shenanigans, or does this reveal something significantly wrong about Mitt Romney?

After reading what the Book of Mormon says about black people, i could NEVER vote for Romney

2 Nephi 5:21 For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, that they had become like unto a flint; wherefore, as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them.

Jacob 3:8 O my brethren, I fear that unless ye shall repent of your sins that their skins will be whiter than yours, when ye shall be brought with them before the throne of God.

Alma 3:6 And the skins of the Lamanites were dark, according to the mark which was set upon their fathers, which was a curse upon them because of their transgression and their rebellion against their brethren, who consisted of Nephi, Jacob, and Joseph, and Sam, who were just and holy men.

Eh he was a scum bag in high school like millions of other kids.

Good for him to apologize. Better late than never I guess.
I think I'd remember chasing down, forcibly restraining, and assaulting a classmate. What do you think, NikeTalk? Youthful shenanigans, or does this reveal something significantly wrong about Mitt Romney?

I'd lean towards kids taking things way too far. I wouldn't vote for him though. 

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

Why do you think you don't want people to judge you? Should people not judge you because YOU would hate them to?
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif

What? Sorry but your wording is kinda confusing. 
I know this board is full of the self righteous type but there are things I did in my youth that I'm not proud of and they reflect nothing about who I am today. 

People (and not just the media) are really grasping at straws over this whole "bullying" thing.

Here's the original article from the Washington Post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...s/2012/05/10/gIQA3WOKFU_story.html?tid=pm_pop .

It's pretty lurid. Here's an excerpt:

Mitt Romney returned from a three-week spring break in 1965 to resume his studies as a high school senior at the prestigious Cranbrook School. Back on the handsome campus, studded with Tudor brick buildings and manicured fields, he spotted something he thought did not belong at a school where the boys wore ties and carried briefcases. John Lauber, a soft-spoken new student one year behind Romney, was perpetually teased for his nonconformity and presumed homosexuality. Now he was walking around the all-boys school with bleached-blond hair that draped over one eye, and Romney wasn’t having it.

“He can’t look like that. That’s wrong. Just look at him!

A day after Obama declares his support of the gay community.

Chess, anyone? Obama got Checkmate on Romney as far as the gay vote is concerned.

Still though, politics is a very disgusting game and I hate every single one of these politicians.

I think its grasping at straws too...BUT it shows character. There were just as many people in high school who didn't bully anyone, not because they couldn't but because they chose not to. It shows the type of person you are.

He's attractive to woman that are divorced. Also, he's trying to re-establish the trend that white presidents do it OG style.

this dude has my vote. He's got tons of haters now.

Originally Posted by solarius49

After reading what the Book of Mormon says about black people, i could NEVER vote for Romney

2 Nephi 5:21 For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, that they had become like unto a flint; wherefore, as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them.

Jacob 3:8 O my brethren, I fear that unless ye shall repent of your sins that their skins will be whiter than yours, when ye shall be brought with them before the throne of God.

Alma 3:6 And the skins of the Lamanites were dark, according to the mark which was set upon their fathers, which was a curse upon them because of their transgression and their rebellion against their brethren, who consisted of Nephi, Jacob, and Joseph, and Sam, who were just and holy men.

QFT

Originally Posted by presequel

I think its grasping at straws too...BUT it shows character. There were just as many people in high school who didn't bully anyone, not because they couldn't but because they chose not to. It shows the type of person you are.
people change.  just because you were a d-bag in HS doesnt mean you will grow up to be a d-bag the rest of your life.  i think it definitely is a stretch to categorize Romney as a homophobe because of some idiot stuff he did as a kid 50 years ago.

Grasping at straws is the Republicans bringing up how Obama ate dog meat as a child during the 2008 campaign.

Regardless of the context, had this been Obama, this story would be on Fox news non stop.

Romney is a piece of !+@!.

Ill be damned if someone who picked on me was the president of my country.

He is not going to win anyways, why is he wasting my time 
eyes.gif

I know this board is full of the self righteous type but there are things I did in my youth that I'm not proud of and they reflect nothing about who I am today.

What you do is a PART of who you are...I'm not saying your past actions define you...but everything you experience is for a reason. A lot of young people do reckless things but this is about the bigger picture...

its not about Mitt Romney bullying someone for being gay when he was in high school...it's about Romney representing the bully that is the European Man in America and every where else in the world he's colonized...

Of course you aren't the same person as an adult as you were in high school. That being said, I've read some stuff about him that I don't like. I'm not surprised by it though.

Spoiler [+]
*B Rabbit voice* You went to Cranbrook, that's a private school!

B Smooth 202 wrote:

What you do is a PART of who you are...I'm not saying your past actions define you...but everything you experience is for a reason. A lot of young people do reckless things but this is about the bigger picture...

its not about Mitt Romney bullying someone for being gay when he was in high school...it's about Romney representing the bully that is the European Man in America and every where else in the world he's colonized...
Eh Romney and the rest of them represent that anyway. Digging up dirt from a half century ago isn't needed for that.
I'm not defending Romney. I think he's a piece of *%@# regardless of what he did fifty years ago. 

Back
Top Bottom