MLB "considering radical division realignment plan"

I don't think doing away with Intraleague is a bad idea if you're talking about going to an NBA or NFL style schedule where you play everybody either every year or every couple of years...

There's 162 games, might as well have everyone play everyone to a degree.  If we're going to truly balance out the schedules.  Maybe that way the divsions don't matter quite as much. 
I dunno, gotta be an answer somewhere in between there. 

But agreed on the salary floor.  We had this discussion couple years back, the Pirates were a team that we beat the hell out of in that thread. 
laugh.gif

Only thing I wonder about is, with 30 teams over 162 games, that equates to playing each team ~5.5 times... So how do you really weight the schedules so that divisional play actually matters?

Like in the NBA (and I don't know that this is really a problem), divisional games don't matter. Only benefit is the division winner is guaranteed a playoff birth... You play more division games, but it's a more conference-weighted schedule than division-weighted...

In the NFL and current MLB format, divisional play is HUGE because you play such a huge chunk of the schedule against those teams...

So do you schedule with a division-heavy format and play everyone else 2 or 3 times a year or rotate divisions like the NFL? Or go conference-heavy like the NBA and play every 2, 3 or 4 times like the NBA?

this is ******ed

like someone said just add 2 wild cards. it's not that difficult.

Boo! I love MLB for the mere fact that it's a league/game that has ridiculous rules. You can call it tradition but I call it awesome.
1) Non-contact sport except for at the plate where you can absolutely demolish the catcher
2) NL vs AL. DH vs no DH. How does that make any sense? But it's awesome!
3) No standardized field specs. !++? That's like playing on a 10' rim in LA and 7' in NY.

Back
Top Bottom