MLB: Why are the D-Backs so bad this year???

Rotation- Webb being injured obviously hurts a lot but they still got Haren (strong year), Scherzer (on the rise), and Davis who has pitched better than his7-11 record would indicate.

Bullpen- Probably the weakest part of their team but it's not like their bad record is mainly attributed to blowing late leads.

Offense- Montero (decent catcher), Reynolds (monster season), Drew, Tracy, and Roberts. Got Jackson on the DL...

I don't know what happened to Chris Young but kid's got talent. He needs to stop trying to hit bombs every at bat, seems like a common trend with a lotof young emerging players. Upton and Parra have been great in the OF, especially Upton who carries the offense along with Reynolds. Trent Oeltjen is a year orso off. And is Eric Byrnes done as a successful starting OF?

They have enough to compete in their division IMO. What do you guys think??

have you seen their lineup? a bunch of minor Leaguer's...
everyone was injured for them throughout the year..

To end the 2008 (last) season, the Diamondbacks were just about dead last in every statistical category. If you had known this then you would've known theywere about to stink it up to start the season. Then they opened the season with something like 22 out of 30 games at home? Just a ridiculous number, and theystarted off terrible. If you have 22 of your first 30 games at home you HAVE to come out over .600. They just aren't there yet, they're in the bottom1/4th of the league.

I think it's a bit of over achievement last year in combination to injuries.

Reynolds is hitting well, but he strikes out way to often.

Originally Posted by ChampCruThik

Most people dont realize how strong the NL West is this year. NO, they do not have enough to compete this year.

Originally Posted by dland24

Most people dont realize how strong the NL West is this year. NO, they do not have enough to compete this year.
Exactly. Frisco is one big hitter away from owning that division. Their pitching is filthy.

I think their hitters need to get more disciplined. They strike out and try to hit bombs every time up. That comes with age obviously. Their BP is a problemthough. And losing Webb has hurt. Could of probably won an extra 10 games with him.

The pitching is good, but so is SF. They need a big bat.

Reynolds is good, and strikes out a lot which is ok because of his production but there still missing another middle of the order guy.

Pitching isn't great. They strike out a lot. They're terrible defensively.

Pitching is about average.
Defense is awful.
Offense is probably below average...

13 games under given their run differential is a little unlucky, but they aren't terribly out of line with what you'd expect...

Colorado, Los Angeles, and San Francisco are just flat out better teams... They're 7 games under .500 against those 3 teams, so there's where a lot ofthat sub-.500 record is coming from...

I recognize how strong the NL West has been this year but I think you guys are discounting or forgetting the hype Arizona received leading up to the season.They added Garland to a rotation that was supposed to rival and maybe even surpass San Francisco's. That obviously hasn't panned out with Webb hurt andGarland traded. Everyone knew the Dodgers were the favorite going in but let's get real about SF and COL, especially the Giants. If you compare talent noone can say Arizona is significantly worse discluding injuries. San Diego was clearly the worst in the division and the only team that can't be included inthe discussion.

Ok so let's start with the Rockies...they've come out of nowhere pretty much under Jim Tracy. Fowler and Gonzalez have been pleasant surprises,didn't think they would be "ready" this early as far as contributing in the heat of a wildcard race. Hawpe is good and Spilborghs isn'tanything special (was about to be traded several times during the season). Atkins is having a bad year and Stewart doesn't impress me all-around despitethe 20 homers. Helton and Tulowitzki are what you would expect as the leaders of this squad. Colorado is ok at catcher and added another bat in Giambi to thelineup. Perhaps the biggest surprise has been their pitching. No one expected these guys to pitch as well as they've had staying right in the ballpark withSF and doing better than Arizona. Jimenez throws heat but besides him, Cook, DLR, Fogg, Marquis, and Hammel?? Plus Street has been one of the best closers inbaseball all year long. Add Betancourt, Morales, Beimel, and Herges into the mix and you get a solid bullpen. Basically when comparing Arizona and Coloradooffensively, both teams are about even or close enough to it without factoring in the benefit of Coors Field which does have an impact. SP would go to theD-Backs and RP to the Rockies. I don't think COL's starting pitching will actually last ultimately costing them the wildcard.

As for the Giants, their offense looked like trash heading into the season like it or not. I could seem them in this current position WITH Manny but withoutadding him I can't believe SF is in the chase even with stellar starting pitching. I mean Molina is good sure but besides him? They had to add Garko andFreddy Sanchez and I'm still not impressed. Renteria is over the hill, Ishikawa is average, Uribe doesn't scare pitchers, and that only leaves Sandovalwho is a legit hitter in the Giants lineup. OF- Lewis, Winn, Rowand, Velez, and Schierholtz. That's not better than the D-Backs OF any way you cutit...Nate's got potential though. Lincecum, Cain, and Sanchez are self-explanatory. Who thought Zito would bounce back somewhat especially with RandyJohnson going down. Adding Penny just gives them another veteran arm. Brian Wilson, Valdez, Romo, Affeldt, and Howry make a decent bullpen (better than theD-Backs but worse than the Rockies). All I'm saying is remember how things looked going into the season which plays a factor in contrast to what hasactually transpired to date. SF is very lucky Pablo Sandoval has developed so quickly in a major way.

Arizona just doesn't execute in any facet.

They don't get on base, and when they manage to, they don't put runners across.

Colorado is worlds ahead of them offensively, Coors or not.

San Francisco is worlds ahead of them, in regards to pitching and defense.

IMO, you're whole premise is wrong. The D-backs aren't bad, they just got off to a bad start.

Arizona is 30-25 over the last 2 months (including 11-7 vs. NL West) ... that translates to a 74-61 record over 135 games, which would basically put them evenwith the Rockies and Giants.

Their team batting average has also increased every month this year.

That's my main point, I think on paper Arizona is the most well-rounded team in the division with the exception of LA. Colorado- strong hitting, weakpitching. SF- vice versa. So I'm kinda baffled by the bad start to the season and their struggles throughout.

KLJ- if that's the case, doesn't the responsibility fall solely on the manager A.J. Hinch? He's clearly inexperienced and overmatched by othermanagers based on your point about properly executing every facet of the game. Hinch's youth was supposed to coincide and revive the young ballclub but hasseemed to have a reverse effect.

Good stats by the way, Juan Baller.

Personally the Giants pitching is a lot better of AZ, which makes the Giants better, and the defense as well.

call me a homer

the D-Backs may suck, but

capt.59d2865d273a47a7a8e3c2131f8b0c06.diamondbacks_dodgers_baseball_lad116.jpg

is a BEAST.

They don't have enough talent. There ace is down plus guys they have counted on in the past are having a bad year.

It's a mixture of a lot of things for the D'backs.

Losing Webb didn't help, but if you factor in how poorly disciplined they are at the plate then you'd understand how bad they are.

Reynolds is on the brink of breaking his career high in strikeouts and its either homerun or bust for the guy.

Chris Young has been a ghost ever since he extended his contract, he's young and the organization should bite the bullet and demote his %@+ back to theminors.

Its a joke how these kids approach the plate.

Chris Young hit 3 solo shots today
eek.gif
and the D-Backs still lost 13-5.

Carlos Gonzalez is a monster. I honestly didn't think he'd be ready this season.

Part of the problem is the horrible bullpen of the Diamondbacks.

So many blown leads this year.

Back
Top Bottom