MODS PLEASE LOCK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Papa was on the radio today and said that JDR ripped into Carr in front of the whole team after the KC game. Said that that and other things broke Carr down and hurt the team.

Carr gotta have thick skin. He’s a qb. However if the ripping into him was not in the method of telling he’s better than that...and just breaking him down for the sake of bringing him down..then that’s just stupid.

Given that it was week 14 and the playoffs were still in the picture, I bet the coaching staff felt the pressure to produce.

Not saying it's okay for them to do what they did, but just trying to put it into perspective

Sounds like it wasn’t constructive criticism but a scene the staff played out in front of the team to shame and embarrass him. Do we think that’s the right way to contribute to the chemistry of a team?

For the record, I don't value everything Middlekauf says. But I think his perspective is worth considering right now:

Middlekauff: I have been in this situation — the uncertainty in the Raiders building now is not fun

AP_17354060758648-1024x683.jpg

By John Middlekauff 15 hours ago
save-icon@2x.png

I was fired over the phone when the Philadelphia Eagles let me go. I worked the draft, got home Monday and the general manager called to relieve me of my duties. But I knew it was coming.

I’d bet Jack Del Rio did, too. You just know.

Did Mark Davis do it the right way? Is there ever a right way to do it? I’m not sure. It turned out OK for me, and I didn't have millions coming my way like Del Rio does. Regardless, these situations are never easy.

But Davis did the right thing. He had to fire Del Rio, eventually. The Raiders couldn’t go on with him as the coach. It had to come to an end. They have too much on the line these next several years before the Las Vegas move.

The NFL is a crazy business. These guys are forced to move more than just about any other profession. They get fired basically every other year. But like Hyman Roth once famously said in “The Godfather Part II” — it’s the business we've chosen.

Talking with someone inside the Raiders building, I heard the firing had been worrying the staff for weeks. I spoke with a source regarding offensive coordinator Todd Downing and what his status looked like for 2018 and he responded simply, “we all are done.”

That was on Friday. I was a little shocked.

Basically, he was saying Del Rio's end was all but imminent. The Jon Gruden rumors were making there way around the Raiders facility last week. I’ll be honest — I didn’t really believe him. Not that he was leading me down the wrong path, but that Davis would actually pull the trigger. Or that Gruden would actually return.

Then Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen's ESPN story broke Saturday and Del Rio was fired Sunday, and it was clear Gruden was going to be the next coach of the Raiders. I received this text from a coach on the Raiders after he learned Del Rio had been fired.

https://twitter.com/JohnMiddlekauff/status/947635546494398464
John Middlekauff

✔@JohnMiddlekauff

Raiders assistant just now to me- Gruden is coming, 99%

5:08 PM - Dec 31, 2017
Twitter Ads info and privacy

That guy has never been wrong on one thing I’ve ever asked him. I don't report or tweet about 95 percent of it. That is not really my job. But I didn't even view this as a secret. It's clear this is happening.

Times sure changed fast in Oakland. From 12-4 in 2016, to a contract extension for Del Rio in early 2017, to being fired for Gruden. That’s a pretty crazy 12-month stretch.

Week 17 in the facility
It wasn’t going to be possible for the organization (front office and Del Rio) to co-exist after all the reports leading up to Sunday’s game. It was unofficially over all last week.

Tim Kawakami wrote about the personnel department and the coaching staff not being on the same page with the defensive players. These reports are never well received in a football building where secrets are sacred. Then there was a MMQB report about offensive line coach Mike Tice being a divisive figure in the locker room and on the coaching staff. I was told the tension in the building between scouts and coaches after these reports was palpable by week's end. Del Rio may be a below-average coach, but he's not stupid. It was clear he was being undercut from above.

While I'm not sure the relationship was ever great, when reports like these come out it only makes things worse.

After information like that got out to the public, Del Rio and GM Reggie McKenzie were never going to be able to work together again. The trust, whatever was left, was broken. When that happens, it’s over. Davis did the right thing by just getting rid of Del Rio, because if he brought him back it would have basically been the 49ers of 2014. The season would have been over before it had ever started in 2018. And with the looming move, that is just not an option.

What happens now?
I’ve been in this situation. In 2013, when Andy Reid was fired by the Eagles and my contract was set to expire after the draft, I was left in some limbo. While confident I would stick around, it was impossible to know for sure I was safe.

Coaches: Coaching contracts run through the season, so typically they end Monday of this week, while scouting contracts run through the draft. Two separate hiring and firing cycles. It's why you see some general managers lose their job post-draft.

I watched that year in Philadelphia as coaches sat around in their offices waiting for a coach to be hired and then to finally meet with him. For example, unless Davis fires Downing personally (which I doubt he’ll do), Downing will wait until Gruden officially tells him to pack his office. I am sure Downing is still under contract and can't just leave. Even though it's clear he won't be wanted. As will every coach on the staff that is still under contract. It's just an awkward situation.

Now a guy like defensive backs coach Rod Woodson will be interesting. When I was in Philadelphia, we had Duce Staley, an owner's favorite and an excellent young coach that Chip Kelly had to keep. He is still on the staff now with Doug Pederson and will be with Eagles for years to come.

It wouldn’t shock me if Davis pushed Gruden or even forced him to keep Woodson on the staff. If Bill Callahan comes with Gruden from Washington that would probably increase those odds since Callahan coached Woodson. This is just how the business works.

https://twitter.com/RaidersBeat/status/947854039852748800
Raiders Beat@RaidersBeat

Bill Callahan reportedly in the mix to return with Jon Gruden and it sounds like Reggie McKenzie’s job may be safe... https://www.raidersbeat.com/bill-callahan-could-also-be-part-of-a-jon-gruden-staff/ …

7:36 AM - Jan 1, 2018
Twitter Ads info and privacy

But a lot of guys are left in limbo right now who will ultimately be fired.

Scouts: Since we don’t have a lot of information on the status of the scouting department, it’s hard to totally guess what will happen. But I promise you one thing — everyone is a little nervous. Gruden is now unofficially in charge and he hasn't even signed on the dotted line.

Like when Kelly came to Philadelphia, it was clear he was the boss. While the GM stayed, we did everything Kelly wanted. If he said jump, the department would say, “How high?” That will now be the mindset in Raiders headquarters.

I made the mistake of thinking the scouts were equals with the coaching staff, specifically Kelly. I argued with him over Matt Barkley and his fit in Philadelphia during our first draft meeting. I thought he stunk, Kelly thought he could play, and it's pretty clear how that argument worked out. While I stand by my stance to this day, it was clear the coach wanted more “yes” men in the department than independent thinkers. In fairness to Kelly, that’s why he was hired. I would imagine Gruden will think the same way.

At the draft combine and in meetings after the argument, I was frozen out of conversations. I could tell I wasn't in the plans moving forward. So my recommendation to all the Raiders scouts: agree with Gruden on everything if you want to keep your job. He'll be the decision-maker moving forward, regardless who you report to.

The reality is Gruden has all the leverage here. And he's met guys all over the NFL for the last decade. He could have a person for every position. I'm not saying he'll force them all in from Day 1, but he'll be thinking about it if a scout or executive rubs him the wrong way. They'll eventually be gone.

It's also clear that if McKenzie is kept, which it still feels like he will be, the scouting department’s power will be diminished. Gruden will make every major decision. Every scout will be on borrowed time, with the potential of him bringing in “his guy” at a moment’s notice.

Gruden will be evaluating everyone in that building, every day. No scout will feel safe, regardless of their contract status. That will include McKenzie, who is clearly valued by the owner, but only time will tell if Gruden feels the same way.

He is sharing business as usual. In most businesses if the leadership is dropping the ball so is the general manager and everyone is getting tossed. It happens all the time. If I'm Reggie McKenzie I'm not comfortable at all right now - he and Jack weren't even on the same page and or aware of the Gruden talks but hearing it leading up to the game while aware that coaches were all done for the season...? That says A LOT right there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love how Peter King said Murray, Holmes, and Rivera were glue guys in the locker room and when they all disappeared after 2016 everything went to **** lmao! This happens all the time in the work place too! When personalities go the workplace goes and turns into a **** hole. Nice! New faces in Oakland weren't going to click the same way that you expected them to. Nice McKenzie

Last edited by a moderator:
Reece, Holmes & Streater I'll buy as locker room guys but it shouldn't matter.

This team just wasn't good enough and I put that on the coaching and the players not playing well. Not the fact that we replaced some mediocre players and that caused the locker room to fall apart. That's bull****. So if they won 3 more games the locker room was all good? These guys are getting paid a lot of money and I'm not interested in these bull**** excuses.

I don't buy a thing Middlekauf says about McKenzie by the way. Middlekauf is a weirdo who's been calling for McKenzie to be fired from the beginning. I imagine Middlekauf's bum *** scouting resume had him thinking he could do Reggie's job for him.

I do hope Mark Davis doesn't give personnel control to Gruden, cuz that's where he ****ed up in Tampa. He literally didn't draft 1 good player. He might be a good coach but I think Gruden learned that he can't coach and lead the scouting department after his Tampa stint. McKenzie and Gruden shared time together in Green Bay. I still hope that RM is the GM for the next 15 years.

I thought EJ Manuel was a great pick up by McKenzie and I didn't think Cook would drop as many balls as Seth Roberts but hey **** happens. I miss Murray. Where is @kayzeezay at? :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom