Mom says she makes her 5-year-old pay rent. Is 5-years-old too young to pay rent?

jjs07 jjs07

You never gave a REASON why you feel a kid, age 5, SHOULDN'T participate in the practice.

Saying it isn't age appropriate is simply restating your claim. It isn't giving ANY rationale AT ALL.

As I stated earlier, it's over their head. The concept of "taxing" allowance isn't going to resonate in a 5-year old.

Question...do you have kids?

It's kinda pointless to do this. You should instill values in your kid that they can actually remember and understand :lol: At 5, its pointless. 9 or 10 fine. Like somebody said, she's just a social media, attention seeking parent.
You DO know many people remember lessons they learned from age 5?

I remember quite a few things i was taught while in kindergarten.

You DO know many people remember lessons they learned from age 5?

I remember quite a few things i was taught while in kindergarten.

You understand complex things like rent and the value of saving money? Sure ok.

As I stated earlier, it's over their head. The concept of "taxing" allowance isn't going to resonate in a 5-year old.

?
Not sure how you are able to make the assumption it is over their heads.

Of course it IS, until the concept is instilled in them. Algebra is over 9th graders heads in September, but by May, it sure RESONATES.

Give the human mind more credit than that please

They could if It was taught to them. I mean nowadays kids running businesses at 7.

You think a kid is sitting behind a desk crunching numbers and coming up with business plans and all that associated by themselves? And 7 is different from 5. A 5 year old isn't even adding yet.

You think a kid is sitting behind a desk crunching numbers and coming up with business plans and all that associated by themselves? And 7 is different from 5. A 5 year old isn't even adding yet.
A 5 year old can add up to 10.

That is all that is needed in THIS situation

v1.bjsxMjYxMjY5O2o7MTc2MDk7MTIwMDszMDAwOzE1MDA

**** like this will only strain their relationship imo.

I just find it interesting when we decide to use the, Let them be kids" card.

We buy athletic skill development coaches for our kids stripping the FUN out of the game.

Kids go to Gymastics practice, train at HIGH levels, when they could be out, "being kids."

We hire tutors at early ages, thus making education, already a super structured arena, even more time consuming and fun zapping. (Not implying I wouldn't do this for a child of mine).

But when it comes to the #1 entity that makes the world go round, we say it is TOO EARLY to put a child in a structured situation that will do NOTHING else but pu the child in a responsible mindset EARLY.

I don't understand.

If the child is into what you're teaching or has a gift for whatever skill they're interested in, then by all means foster their development. However, YOU as a parent has to know when to ease up.

There needs to be a balance or you'll be running the risk of burning your child out. For every success story, there are thousands of other examples of things gone wrong. This is an extreme, but look at how messed up many child actors became as adults.

I was just reading about Sam Darnold, USC QB, and how he was brought up. His parents didn't pressure him with sports even with him being as athletically gifted as he is.

The Darnolds’ Capistrano Beach household is in the heart of south Orange County, where there are youth sports leagues atop leagues atop leagues, and private coaches atop private coaches atop private coaches.

In Orange County, it’s not uncommon for a nine-year-old pitcher to throw sliders and curveballs nine or 10 months of the year—with a father behind the backstop holding a radar gun. It’s not uncommon for a quarterback to play Pop Warner, then a season of flag and then spend the summer under the watchful eye of a $200-an-hour passing guru.

This was not going to happen to Sam.

“My parents,” the quarterback says, “wouldn’t have allowed it.”

On paper, this might come as a surprise. One would be hard-pressed to find a more sports-centric family than the Darnolds. Mike was an offensive lineman at the University of Redlands, Chris a volleyball player at Long Beach City College. Sam’s older sister Franki starred in volleyball at the University of Rhode Island and three of his cousins—Allie, Michele and A.J.—also participated in collegiate volleyball. Sam’s late grandfather, **** Hammer, played basketball at USC and was on the 1954 team that went to the Final Four. He was also a member of the 1964 U.S. Olympic men’s volleyball team.

Put simply, organized athletics are a big deal in the Darnold world and have been for decades.

“But,” says Chris, “they’re not everything. We’ve always tried to keep things in perspective. Yes, our children have always loved playing sports. But around here, in this part of California, it too often becomes live and die. That’s a big mistake in my opinion. It has to be fun.”

Link

Again, it's about finding that balance. Letting kids be kids is SO important to their overall development. They'll have a lifetime ahead of paying bills and doing other things.

Kids aren't learning the concept of rent at 5.
The concept of

"You pay someone, once a month money in exchange for a good."

That is a hard concept to grasp?

Again, give the human rainmind more credit than that

Not sure how you are able to make the assumption it is over their heads.

Of course it IS, until the concept is instilled in them. Algebra is over 9th graders heads in September, but by May, it sure RESONATES.

Give the human mind more credit than that please

Stop being obtuse...you damn well know the cognitive ability of a 5 year old is MUCH different than that of a 14 year old.

I don't think I'd do this, I always figured when my kid got old enough to understand finances (7-10ish) i'd just be transparent about them from that point forward.

Don't plan to raise a dummy, so when they hit that point I'd just walk them through how much finances I have coming in and how much goes via taxes and bills.

My family never taught me anything about finances, bills, etc. It was treated like some unspeakable topic which forced me to learn it all by myself. Terrible practice.

Stop being obtuse...you damn well know the cognitive ability of a 5 year old is MUCH different than that of a 14 year old.
Again, teaching someone to pay a dollar amount, once a month, in exchange for a good isn't a concept a 5 year old couldn't grasp

If the child is into what you're teaching or has a gift for whatever skill they're interested in, then by all means foster their development. However, YOU as a parent has to know when to ease up.

There needs to be a balance or you'll be running the risk of burning your child out. For every success story, there are thousands of other examples of things gone wrong. This is an extreme, but look at how messed up many child actors became as adults.

I was just reading about Sam Darnold, USC QB, and how he was brought up. His parents didn't pressure him with sports even with him being as athletically gifted as he is.

Link

Again, it's about finding that balance. Letting kids be kids is SO important to their overall development. They'll have a lifetime ahead of paying bills and doing other things.

How is introducing this skill STOPPING a kid from being a kid?

Just curious as to why? I automatically assumed she was white :lol:
Seen a lot of similar situations in the black community including my own childhood. My mother didn't even let he finish high school because she wanted me to keep working and giving her all my money. This one of the reasons so many black kids grow up and don't give a damn about their mothers. If you chose to bring another life in this world it's your job to be financially responsible for them for at least 18 years..imo

I'm sure she gives an allowance, but I am not buying this life lesson stuff that she concocted for FB

It's a work brother

Ok they may not “grasp” it, but if paying bill was engraved in mind at a young age and became second nature, by the time they are actually paying rent they’ll be less likely to **** off the rent money on some Jordan’s or something else “being kids”.

I'm sure she gives an allowance, but I am not buying this life lesson stuff that she concocted for FB

It's a work brother

True

I feel kids do need to learn the value of a dollar and everything else associated with its living everyday life but 5 is still too young to teach a lesson

9 or 10 is more appropriate

Kids are spoiled as hell these days as well so not surprised with people enforcing this kind of lesson now

Back
Top Bottom