Mo’Nique wants you to boycott Netflix

Mo’Nique Asks Fans To Boycott Netflix After Being Offered A Fraction Of Amy Schumer And Chris Rock’s Pay

Academy Award winner Mo’Nique is calling on fans to boycott Netflix for what she is declaring a ruthless act of gender and color bias. She made her plea to the public via Instagram.

In a brief video statement, the actress/comedian took aim at what she says has been unfair treatment by the streaming giant. Mo’Nique claims Netflix offered her $500,000 to do a comedy special on the service. A number dwarfed by the eight-figure deals secured by Amy Schumer, Chris Rock and Dave chappelle

“I am asking that you stand with me and boycott Netflix for gender bias and color bias,” said Mo’Nique. “I was offered a $500,000 deal last week to do a comedy special. However, Amy Schumer was offered $11 million, Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle $20 million.”

Mo’Nique says she pressed Netflix on why her résumé was not considered to be in the same league as Schumer’s. She cited Schumer’s earlier mention of understanding not being paid the same as “legends” Rock and Chappelle in her response.

When we asked Netflix to explain the difference, why the money was so different, they said, “Well, we believe that’s what Mo’Nique will bring.” We said, ‘What about my résumé?’ They said, “We don’t go off of résumés.” Then we asked them, “What was it about Amy Schumer?” And they said, “Well, she sold out Madison Square Garden twice and she had a big movie over the summer. Is that not Amy Schumer’s résumé?” And then Netflix said, “By the way, we believe Mo’Nique is a legend, too.” Why shouldn’t I get what the legends are getting? Please stand with me in this boycott of Neftlix. I love us for real.

In 2015, Mo’Nique and Precious director Lee Daniels both addressed the subject of the comedian being allegedly “blackballed” after her Oscar win because the comedian pushed back against things like award show campaigning. Mo’Nique hasn’t been shy at taking aim at Daniels in their falling out.

Netflix has not commented on the content of the video at this time.

SC kid SC kid You should've posted this in the Fools Wildin' thread. Mo'nique ain't been relevant in years. She's lucky that the 'Flix even offered her a special.

"entitled" "big ego"

I'm seeing a lot of people say this. It's a lot of white folks in hollywood that's all those things but people let it slide.

Actually listening to her she make a lot of good points. Even when she was on fire they was tryna play her.

hulu and amz is where it's at :pimp:
aint mad at her for trying to get that money from these big companies that will make money off her

i think this is an opportunity to examine "blackballing" and the effect of it

her and her husband are living on another planet man...they won that oscar and thought they were gonna live like oil tyc00ns
That is the question, tho.
We don't know of any white Oscar winners made to bow down or be treated like **** for standing up for the worth of their draw in recent memory? Every Oscar winner that is black that is not gay or denzel they have a bonafide effective war of attrition or flat out witch hunt bonfire tiki torch blackball rally for.

Like what white female Oscar winner is **** on like Monique and for what? What white Oscar recent winner that is a male is **** on for protecting his draw like Terrence Howard? Plus had another black actor given precedent over them as well? Like real talk, what did Monique and Howard really do that warranted they be black balled? When in comparison, what white actor or actress was black balled with an Oscar?

and if they were I am sure there are cases of false equivalence in the case of comparison for Monique and Howard. Howard emasculated himself and preys on criminal rnb past greats and hiphop culture with Daniels.

Yet Monique could not continue in that manner, because Daniels and Oprah black balled her. When originally Monique is who had the star power and performance to create the oscar credit for all three in film. For Oprah I believe it was her film company earning credit for an Oscar. I could be wrong.

Yet it has been so long since she was black balled. even the facts about this are displaced concretely from my memory. So just in that we have proof that her being blackballed was effective to ruin her draw in sabotage. Now granted this thread starts off with a shaderoom link that has two million views.

Yet on the surface this is a good convo about what being blackballed is and how the victims have to rebuild a life they never tore down and someone else ruined.

So I understand on a surface level what Monique has endured with no outlets and limited resources. Which are a result of being blackballed.

Last edited:
Lets see, what I personally know Mo'Nique for:

Moesha - dont remember her a lot in the show
"Heeeyy Professor Oglevee" - The Parkers ('99-'04)
Queens of Comedy - ('01)
TSA - Soul Plane ('04)
Flavor of Love Show - ('07)
Betty - Welcome Home Roscoe Jenkins (2000Eight)
Precious mama - Precious ('09)

Its all about being relevant these days.

She’s simply not as hot or in demand as those 3 when it comes to stand up, this is a non issue.
Basically. Take the exposure and build, the money would come if you build a fanbase. As far as female comics, other comic view standouts like Leslie Jones would command more than her at this stage.

Back
Top Bottom