More Asians on TV?

I used to never see Asians in mainstream American media and entertainment. However, I've been seeing more and more Asians in mainstream media. Forexample, TV commercials:

Lowe's Home Improvement - the one with the black and white world outside of the Lowe's store. Asian couple at the end.
Wells Fargo - the weird one with the dude and his girl and a dirty couch
Volkswagen - the one with the guy controlling the car alarm. Also, is that an interracial couple I see in the commercial? Amazing...
Gillette - Asian lab tech. No speaking lines.

Are Asians becoming more appealing or acceptable to mainstream America? Are companies seeking to be relateable towards the Asian-American market? Is thissudden influx a result of the approaching 2008 Summer Olympics?

And on a side note, I think its hilarious that in every commercial there is always that token Black guy and that token woman. I know that the target audienceis middle America, but come on
laugh.gif
Just wondering what your guys' thoughts were.

It's about trying appeal to as many people as possible. They trying to sell something. Smarten up.

I aint makin no Asian jokes, I know Dirty is standing near by with his sniper rifle, waiting...

I used to never see Asians in mainstream American media and entertainment. However, I've been seeing more and more Asians in mainstream media. For example, TV commercials:

Lowe's Home Improvement - the one with the black and white world outside of the Lowe's store. Asian couple at the end.
Wells Fargo - the weird one with the dude and his girl and a dirty couch
Volkswagen - the one with the guy controlling the car alarm. Also, is that an interracial couple I see in the commercial? Amazing...
Gillette - Asian lab tech. No speaking lines.

Are Asians becoming more appealing or acceptable to mainstream America? Are companies seeking to be relateable towards the Asian-American market? Is this sudden influx a result of the approaching 2008 Summer Olympics?

And on a side note, I think its hilarious that in every commercial there is always that token Black guy and that token woman. I know that the target audience is middle America, but come on
laugh.gif
Just wondering what your guys' thoughts were
Why are you making such a big deal? I see black, white and other skin colors on T.V but I don't post stupidthreads.
tired.gif

It's about trying appeal to as many people as possible. They trying to sell something. Smarten up.
So they throw one minority into a spot while the rest of the dudes are white. How is that appealing at all? I'm not gonna go rush out andbuy whatever they're selling because I see a colored face.

It's not about the amount of asians, because I'm still noticing that in a lot of commercials, Asians are the nerds or the passive women. Those rolesperpetuate stereotypes. I'd rather have a few "cool" asians that break stereotypes than to have a bunch more on TV that don't help. Eitherway, yes there are more asians on TV.

Basically. I don't understand what you are trying to say. Are you saying there are too many or too little. If there were no asians, you would be like"thats racist". If there were too many you would say, "are they trying to say asian people only chill with other asian people? that'sracist." So what is good? Things don't change over night, baby steps.

^ I'm saying neither.
Are Asians becoming more appealing or acceptable to mainstream America? Are companies seeking to be relateable towards the Asian-American market? Is this sudden influx a result of the approaching 2008 Summer Olympics?
Only why am I seeing more all of a sudden? Yeah, I understand that they are trying to "reach" more people, but why now?

If you want to watch commercials with mostly Asian people, watch Asian channels. If you want to watch commercials with mostly black people, watch B.E.T. Iwas watching Hustle and Flow the other day on B.E.T. and some commercials came on. There was a commercial where the kids are urging their parents to talk tothem about sex. I was used to the commercials being a mix of Whites, Asians, Latinos, Blacks, etc., but in this commercial, everyone was black. The nextcommercial was the same. I thought it was kind of odd for a second, because I had never seen that before, but then I remembered that I was watching B.E.T. For a channel whose namesake is Black Entertainment Television, I would not find it peculiar that the target audience would be, well, blacks. I suppose thesame could be said for the Spanish/Latino/Hispanic channels, the Asian channels, so on and so forth.

The mainstream networks and cable channels do broadcast to a diverse audience, but according to Wikipedia, the United States is roughly 70% white. With thatsaid, who do you think the general target audience is? It is not uncommon to assume that whites would occupy the majority of acting roles if the audiencebeing targeted is mostly white. We are slowly but surely diversifying, and eventually whites will be a minority in the United States. I'm not sayingthat I think it's a bad thing that we see more ethnicities represented in entertainment, I think it's great, but I highly doubt we will see significantchange on this front in the near future. Like quik said, baby steps! There are A LOT of ignorant people in this country. Someday people will mature, somedaythe entire country's cultures will assimilate into one, and we all be like the people from the future in the Gooback epsidode of South Park. Until then,hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Originally Posted by Kiss My Airs 33

I don't see y'all complaining about being stereotyped as smart.

What Asians are complaining about is the limitation and lack of diversity to images/stereotypes of Asians.

Sure, we're smart... Sure, we fix up cars...

But a lot of Asians want to see us doing more, and claim the industry won't give us that chance.

I personally don't give a
33upjle.jpg
... In the end, it's every man/woman forhimself.

If we're movin' up in the media/industry, cool... +1 point for Asia and Asian Americans.

If not, it's not the end of the world...

If not and you're not happy, how about trying to do something about it and audition for something?

Or majoring on something in the industry, instead of chasing a nursing career only because it pays a lot, or 'cause it runs in the family?

Back
Top Bottom