Morons working in shoe stores

Aey, as long as she aint say they are a new pair of J's chalk it. Like ooIRON MANoo said, she was probably between 16-18 and could care less who wore theshoes, let alone remember em.

people dont know or really care. i was born in 89 the only non jordan shoes i remember back in the days was pennys and pippens.

Originally Posted by Nike God

I can't stand when I go into a shoe store and the people there don't know what the hell they're talking about.

I was in the mall the other day and I walked into a Champs, and I see this shoe on the wall
17816011_z.jpg

So, I pick it up to check it out and see how badly Nike butchered the retro...obviously it's the wrong color, but I didn't realize that they also took the 34 off the pull-tab on the back.
tired.gif

The employee chick says "can I help you with a size?" and I just said, "No thanks, I'm just looking at how Nike messed the retro up" She had a puzzled look and said "Those aren't retros"
I just laughed and explained to her that these are the Charles Barkleys that came out at the beginning of the 93-94 season.
She goes, "No, those aren't Barkleys. They're just Air Max"
At that point, I put the shoe down, and walked out of the store laughing because I couldn't talk to this chick anymore.

indifferent.gif

That young girl is just working to get a paycheck. Yea Barkley wore them, but That isn't important to her. She's not an NTer, hell, you thinkeverybody that works in a shoestore is supposed to have kick knowledge?
eyes.gif

I bet you feel like she's beneath you cuz she's not "up" on the kick game like that. If you were working there would you say, "copthese Retro Barkleys that Nike butchered!!" to the customers?

My point is this: I expect someone who does a job to know the product or service that he or she is responsible for.
If I am a waiter, I'm expected to know the menu.
If I'm a air conditioning repairman, I'm expected to know how an AC unit works.
If I work in a shoe store I should be expected to know the shoes.

How would you like to walk into a Walgreens, hand the parmacist the prescription for an allergy pill, and get birth control instead?

I had a footaction employee tell me the P on a pair of Dunkesto's was for Paul Rodriguez.

he's a friend of mine from highschool so I laughed in face.
laugh.gif

I remember another NT'ers story where a finishline employee told him he needed to buy some Gel insoles to go in his Lebron IV's because the insoles inthat came with them were no good & had no cushioning.

I agree with you, to a point. I think doing her (or anybody who is trying to help you) like that was a little cold. Just let her know that Barkley actually didwear them (not your job or responsibility, I know) back in the day. In my experience, the only thing most of them are going to know is how comfortable the lastguy that tried them on said they were...if that. Hut I would give her some credit for just knowing the name of the shoe.

I can honestly say that I've left shoe stores with similar thoughts, like WTH is wrong with these people for not knowing all about the shoes they sell. Butthen I realize what most others have said that they aren't there for sneaker knowledge. They are there for a check, or a discount, or whatever.I've become resigned to the fact that if I wanna talk to people about shoes, I gotta come to NT...

Why do y'all keep repeating the same thing? I've noticed that on message boards all it takes is one person to say something to the post starter andeveryone jumps on the post stater.

i agree that i hate it when people who work in shoe stores dont know anything about the stuff theyre selling, but you shouldn't flame on em... not everyoneis a sneakerhead...

There is no Charles Barkley on the box and on the shoe description,
So? Thats like saying that the Air Zoom Generation is not Lebron's first shoe when indeed it is. There are no Lebron logos, names ordescription on the shoe.

Originally Posted by Nike God

My point is this: I expect someone who does a job to know the product or service that he or she is responsible for.
If I am a waiter, I'm expected to know the menu.
If I'm a air conditioning repairman, I'm expected to know how an AC unit works.
If I work in a shoe store I should be expected to know the shoes.

How would you like to walk into a Walgreens, hand the parmacist the prescription for an allergy pill, and get birth control instead?

Yeah thats right compare a professional pharmacist to a 16 or 17 year old girl who works at a shoe store
indifferent.gif

When I went to champs today I asked if they had the blue-ribbon fusions and this guy had no clue what were fusions. I wore my playoff xx3's and he saidthat they were fakes!! I looked at dude crazy and the rest of the employees looked at him and started laughing at dude!! I was like WOW!!

Originally Posted by dcortes23

When I went to champs today I asked if they had the blue-ribbon fusions and this guy had no clue what were fusions. I wore my playoff xx3's and he said that they were fakes!! I looked at dude crazy and the rest of the employees looked at him and started laughing at dude!! I was like WOW!!
I heard of All-Star XX3's but what the hell are Playoff XX3's?
laugh.gif
The names people on NT come up with...

Originally Posted by AirUpHere23

I heard of All-Star XX3's but what the hell are Playoff XX3's?
laugh.gif
The names people on NT come up with...

Thats what I thought too... I was thinking, "Wait, what did I miss...?"...
laugh.gif

but to the OP, like you said, the AC guy should know how the AC works, but he doesn't need to know the history of air-conditioners... yes, a waiter needsto know the menu, but not the history behind a certain dish...

the same applies to this gal, she probably knew the basics of the shoe, but not the history... she's just doing her job, which is sell shoes... how doesthat make her a moron? because she doesn't know as much about the history of these shoes as you? I've never worked at an atheletic footwear retailerbefore, nor do I know anyone personally that does... and correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing the job description does not include knowing thehistorical details of their products...
indifferent.gif

co-sign on Wally's post...
pimp.gif

Most shoe stores employees could care less. Selling shoes in a mall isn't a career, it's just a crappy part time job. Do you have any idea how manyshoes are on the walls in those stores? Can you imagine having to know about every one of those shoes for $7 an hour? At least she knew they were AirMax's.

Originally Posted by true 3 blue

There is no Charles Barkley on the box and on the shoe description,
So? Thats like saying that the Air Zoom Generation is not Lebron's first shoe when indeed it is. There are no Lebron logos, names or description on the shoe.

air_zoom_generation_gold_medal_002.JPG

Originally Posted by iNiNe5

dammit, she should have known you were the "Nike God", I mean what the hell was she thinkin' ?!?!!?

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

roll.gif
right. you seem to forget all those jobs you mentioned pay a hell of a lot better than some minimum wage retail shoe store. don't ever expect someone in retail to know the product like they created it, they don't get paid enough for it. you wanna kick knowledge so much why don't you go work there. they're just there to get paid in a not so serious job. it isn't a profession or a career you can build out of. sneakers may be your life but it ain't theirs.

right. there is minimal training, most of the knowledge is on-the-job, what the more knowledgeable co-worker passed on to you.
she aint going home and studying up on sneakers, nor will they fly her to oregon for a training conference.

roll.gif

yeah, exactly..... maybe she should have went to Carnegie Melon and took this course:

98-094 Sneakerology 101
Led by: Chorng, Jesse D; Curtis, Elliott P
M 7:00PM - 8:50PM DH 1209
In this course we will explore the extensive impact that sneakers have on fashion, identity, and cultures throughout the world. There is no prerequisite ofpairs, so whether you are a true "Sneakerhead" or just someone who is interested in urban culture, this class promises to invigorate the sole.

http://www.cmu.edu/stuco/catalog.html

^lol wished they had that at the O when I went...OH wait Nike was mentioned in about every class I took.

Originally Posted by iNiNe5

roll.gif

yeah, exactly..... maybe she should have went to Carnegie Melon and took this course:

98-094 Sneakerology 101
Led by: Chorng, Jesse D; Curtis, Elliott P
M 7:00PM - 8:50PM DH 1209
In this course we will explore the extensive impact that sneakers have on fashion, identity, and cultures throughout the world. There is no prerequisite of pairs, so whether you are a true "Sneakerhead" or just someone who is interested in urban culture, this class promises to invigorate the sole.

http://www.cmu.edu/stuco/catalog.html

What is the point of those kids teaching that class? We have more shoes than you and this is why you should think we are cool? A buddy of mine calledme laughing when he saw it in the course catalogue.

america is filled with idiots. but the truth is sneakerheads are doing all the work themselves as a consumer. when you go into a shoe store like finish linethose guys in there are just there to stand around and collect 8.50 and hour until they get off. (in general). so if they really wanted experts working inthere then they'd pay more to attract better employees, maybe older, more sneakerhead employees who can actually comment on such issues.

now when you go to the local quickstrike account type shop they know what they are talking about (in most cases) ----> so there you see the differance

its like at dairy queen you can't expect the drive thru teenager to explain what % of fat the milk in the blizzard is made with....

but if you go to a 5 star restaurant then yeah maybe you can expect more information.

but yeah they idiots there for real ahahahah

As an employee at at FNL and a knowledgeable sneakerhead i agree that you were being a donkey, its just a girl with a part time job. although i could havetalked shoes with you, its obvious that not all workers at a major retail store can. If this was a serious sneaker spot then maybe, but its a mall basedretailer. She probalby knows enough info on shoes to get you the right size shoe and minimal knowledge on cushioning. People gotta learn how to be nicer toeach other man.

Back
Top Bottom