most expensive photo in the world vol. so full of life

2480_44%20Gursky_thumb.jpg

[font='Times New Roman', Times, serif]
[/font]

It's called "Rhein II" and was photographed by Andreas Gursky, and it sold on Tuesday night for $4.3 million at Christie's. That easily broke the previous record set by Cindy Sherman's "Untitled #96" which sold at a $3.89 million price point in May. Gursky's photo is also the reason you should have become an art broker, like yesterday.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertainment/2011/11/most-expensive-photo-world/44772/

I Was staring at the "not so special looking" photo thinking it was one of those GIFS where a monster suddenly appears.... but its really just a $4million boring photo...

perfect symetry, blah blah blah. I remember the one witht he 99 cents store sold for a grip as well

Why is it so expensive? Simple, because an idiot paid for it.

Isn't that how it goes in the art world?

I can't believe you guys aren't seeing the beauty and simplicity in this photo. It's pure genius, so many words to describe it yet so little......simply beautiful.

A true masterpiece and easily my favorite work by Gursky.

Words cannot express just how magnificent and wondrous this picture is to me. It's a wild and vivid explosion of color caught in the eternal stillness of time. It attacks your senses like a raging animal and leaves you breathless like a spent lover. I can spend literally hours looking at this treasured beauty, introspecting and thinking about the world around me.

Originally Posted by FIREPOWER23

Words cannot express just how magnificent and wondrous this picture is to me. It's a wild and vivid explosion of color caught in the eternal stillness of time. It attacks your senses like a raging animal and leaves you breathless like a spent lover. I can spend literally hours looking at this treasured beauty, introspecting and thinking about the world around me.
laugh.gif

These photos, and most art in general, are better appreciated in person. Most people would never understand why Rothko's go for $50mil. Some works just don't translate over to 500px size thumbnails.

Also, when viewing art, most people get too caught up with whether they "like" it or not or whether it looks "good." There's a laundry list of other criteria by which to judge art. Price shouldn't be a factor in whether something is successful or provocative either.

Originally Posted by University of Nike

laugh.gif
roll.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

with your permission sir, i will try to use this in one of my articles and see if the editor lets it slip. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CWrite78

eyes.gif

Don't project your inabilities and mental vacuity unto others.

You're on NT of all places--meaning that at some point in the past you purchased shoes/kicks that were arguably expensive. By your logic, said shoes were expensive because you're an idiot, right?

Value is subjective. Only a fool would think otherwise, and ridicule another for what they hold to be valuable.

Are u kidding me? looks like the bay 2 me...in atlantic city....i can duplicate this picture minus the side walk

Originally Posted by LUKEwarm Skywalker

Originally Posted by CWrite78

eyes.gif

Don't project your inabilities and mental vacuity unto others.

You're on NT of all places--meaning that at some point in the past you purchased shoes/kicks that were arguably expensive. By your logic, said shoes were expensive because you're an idiot, right?

Value is subjective. Only a fool would think otherwise, and ridicule another for what they hold to be valuable.

Is this the buyer? 
nerd.gif

It would've been a lot cheaper to just go and take the picture yourself or pay someone to. I swear, people of the art world are such sheep.

Back
Top Bottom