Mother Sues District/State After Son Cut From Team

Apparently, dudes mom is a lawyer... Take it for what it's worth...

But it sucks for the kid, having to go to school with all that attention...

Where I graduated there was overlap of sports between football and basketball. Football finished about a week or two into the season depending on playoffs. Our coach made football players try out at the same time as everyone else. While that creates issues for multiple sport athletes, its fair for those who earn a spot from the get-go.

I only played JV football when I was a freshman.

my aesthetics were not up to par back then

Oh, this might make him the most popular kid in school. He's about to get a full and complete education on why nobody does this.

Oh, and:

Originally Posted by Deuce King

This is why we need more fathers involved in their kids life.  A man would know better to even attempt to take it this far.

This was probably her son:

fail-dunk-o.gif

He has to be somewhat good to make it through Varsity tryouts as a Freshman and if those 9 players were so much better why not move him to JV? A lot HS coaches are idiots but something isn't adding up here.

Originally Posted by steven42lh

Originally Posted by The Stoic Paisano

Originally Posted by Alchemist IQ

If i were to guess the coach maintains both the football team and Basketball team. Favoritism is at play here.
Why? Certain (football) players were unavailable to be named to the basketball team at one point. Once they became eligible, those players earned back their spots. In the meantime, the basketball team shouldn't have had to play with a less than full roster, and the suing kid is probably one of the temp players.
How is this different than a player holding a spot on a roster during spring practice and getting booted for an incoming freshman recruit in August.

My school had overlap between baseball, football, and basketball. The football members and baseball members who made the team workout in the summer before the school year begins and when open tryouts are held it is for a set number of available spots minus the previous team members and accepted players from other sports. We knew once we made the roster after tryouts that was it for the year. None of this foolishness with another set of tryouts later in the semester after you are told you are on the team and practice as a team for 3 months. The coach should have thought this out better.
So what happened, did you guys carry 20 players once the football/baseball players become eligible, or were there some guys that were relegated to the JV squad? I know you aren't going to say you went short-handed with a six-man roster or something. Concur that the coach may not have communicated effectively, but he was in a bind early in the year with (potentially) his best players unavailable. Play the kids until the vets comeback at full strength.

Great. If this case goes her way, we might see schools not even have extra-curriculars where literally not EVERYONE can participate in.

Spoiler [+]
arguecat.png

Thats why i'm a firm believer that you shouldnt give trophies for 4th and 5th place. Why do people think they are entitled to something? If your child sucks he sucks. There is always gonna be someone better at something and for people to take entitlement just goes to show you that hard work is dying in this country.

At my school, b ball tryouts started at the end of football season, and there is no such thing as trying out for varsity lol, if you're a freshmen and nice, coach knows about you before season starts. And most coaches already have in mind the football players they want. Where I'm from tryouts are for Jv, while varsity uses that time for conditioning.

I got cut from my JV Basketball team in HS freshman year because the head coach was a substitute teacher that I used to clown on all the time (ended up playing sophmore ball that year
30t6p3b.gif
) Only if I knew this was the type of %$$% you could sue for these days.

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

At my school, b ball tryouts started at the end of football season, and there is no such thing as trying out for varsity lol, if you're a freshmen and nice, coach knows about you before season starts. And most coaches already have in mind the football players they want. Where I'm from tryouts are for Jv, while varsity uses that time for conditioning.

yea, at my school you tried out for JV. Varsity was pretty much just the upper classmen. Also most of the kids didnt really mix sports. The taller kids just played basketball rather than risk getting hurt playing football. Plus they pretty much played all the time with aau and the school team. 

Originally Posted by steven42lh

Originally Posted by Alchemist IQ

If i were to guess the coach maintains both the football team and Basketball team. Favoritism is at play here.
Why? Certain (football) players were unavailable to be named to the basketball team at one point. Once they became eligible, those players earned back their spots. In the meantime, the basketball team shouldn't have had to play with a less than full roster, and the suing kid is probably one of the temp players.
How is this different than a player holding a spot on a roster during spring practice and getting booted for an incoming freshman recruit in August.

My school had overlap between baseball, football, and basketball. The football members and baseball members who made the team workout in the summer before the school year begins and when open tryouts are held it is for a set number of available spots minus the previous team members and accepted players from other sports. We knew once we made the roster after tryouts that was it for the year. None of this foolishness with another set of tryouts later in the semester after you are told you are on the team and practice as a team for 3 months. The coach should have thought this out better.
So what happened, did you guys carry 20 players once the football/baseball players become eligible, or were there some guys that were relegated to the JV squad? I know you aren't going to say you went short-handed with a six-man roster or something. Concur that the coach may not have communicated effectively, but he was in a bind early in the year with (potentially) his best players unavailable. Play the kids until the vets comeback at full strength.

We had a max roster of 15. Even with 5 players overlap from other sports, we never had less than 9 players on the roster. Normally a WR or Lineman doubled and played basketball, and one year we had a pitcher and center fielder who also hooped. Our baseball players played basketball and practiced with us when it wasn't a game day for baseball.

Interesting Story.
At my highschool they have tryouts while the football players play football.  Because football is so big here, they don't want to hurt egos and "EVERYONE" automatically makes the basketball team.  My senior year we had 26 people on the varsity basketball team.  I don't even want to discuss the J.V. and freshman teams.  You can play 5 quarters a day so most of the varsity squad would play two or 3 J.V. quarters and then dress out for the varsity games.  Heck on the varsity our uniforms did not even match.  But at another highschool I attended football was not as popular, and there were actually tryouts to make the team and that highschool only kept 12 people on the varsity.

Back
Top Bottom