Mount Mutombo Appreciation, one of the best defensive big men ever in NBA history

[h1]Rockets' Mutombo leaves playoff game on stretcher[/h1]
By ANNE M. PETERSON, AP Sports Writer 1 hour, 7 minutes ago

Rockets center Dikembe Mutombo said his lengthy career is finished after aknee injury knocked him out of the Rockets' playoff game Tuesday night against the Trail Blazers.

"For me, basketball is over," he said.

Mutombo, an 18-year NBA veteran, appeared to get tangled with Portland center Greg Oden and came down hard on his left leg late inthe first quarter of Game 2 and did not return.

He stayed prone on the court under the Blazers' basket for several moments before he was taken away by stretcher. A preliminary examination revealed aknee strain.

Afterward in Houston's locker room, the 7-foot-2 veteran was on crutches and fighting back tears.

"Nobody ever thought they'd be carrying the big guy out like a wounded soldier," he said.

Mutombo, the league's oldest player at 42, will be examined by doctors in Houston on Wednesday.

"Dikembe is one of the statesmen of this league," teammate Shane Battier said. "There's not a better guy. Tosee him in pain is tough to see. He cares so much about this game that he doesn't want to end his career like that. That's the tragedy of it,too."

Mutombo is an eight-time All-Star who won the NBA's Defensive Player of the Year award four times and stands in second on the NBA's career blockslist with 3,289. He has played for Denver, Atlanta, Philadelphia, New Jersey, New York and Houston.

In 1,196 career games, Mutombo has averaged 9.8 points, 10.3 rebounds and 2.7 blocks.

Moreover, Mutombo is know for his humanitarian work. He founded the Dikembe Mutombo Foundation in 1997 to benefit the people of his homeland of Kinshasha inthe Congo. In 2007, he opened the Biamba Marie Mutombo Hospital and Research Center there, named after his mother.

The Rockets re-signed Mutombo in December after he played in 39 games with the team the previous season. He was a free agent and had consideredretirement.

He played in nine regular-season games with the Rockets, averaging 1.8 points, 3.7 rebounds and 1.22 blocks.

Mutombo played 18 minutes in Game 1 of the series and had nine rebounds. The Rockets won the opener, 108-81, before the Blazers evened the series with a107-103 victory on Tuesday.

"I've had a wonderful 18 years of staying injury-free, so I just want to go out with my head up, no regrets," he said.

Originally Posted by jepeh21

smh.gif

one of my all time favorites

Originally Posted by jepeh21

[h1]Rockets' Mutombo leaves playoff game on stretcher[/h1]
By ANNE M. PETERSON, AP Sports Writer 1 hour, 7 minutes ago

Rockets center Dikembe Mutombo said his lengthy career is finished after a knee injury knocked him out of the Rockets' playoff game Tuesday night against the Trail Blazers.

Mutombo, an 18-year NBA veteran, appeared to get tangled with Portland center Greg Oden and came down hard on his left leg late in the first quarter of Game 2 and did not return.

He stayed prone on the court under the Blazers' basket for several moments before he was taken away by stretcher. A preliminary examination revealed a knee strain.

Afterward in Houston's locker room, the 7-foot-2 veteran was on crutches and fighting back tears.

"Nobody ever thought they'd be carrying the big guy out like a wounded soldier," he said.

Mutombo, the league's oldest player at 42, will be examined by doctors in Houston on Wednesday.

"Dikembe is one of the statesmen of this league," teammate Shane Battier said. "There's not a better guy. To see him in pain is tough to see. He cares so much about this game that he doesn't want to end his career like that. That's the tragedy of it, too."

Mutombo is an eight-time All-Star who won the NBA's Defensive Player of the Year award four times and stands in second on the NBA's career blocks list with 3,289. He has played for Denver, Atlanta, Philadelphia, New Jersey, New York and Houston.

In 1,196 career games, Mutombo has averaged 9.8 points, 10.3 rebounds and 2.7 blocks.

Moreover, Mutombo is know for his humanitarian work. He founded the Dikembe Mutombo Foundation in 1997 to benefit the people of his homeland of Kinshasha in the Congo. In 2007, he opened the Biamba Marie Mutombo Hospital and Research Center there, named after his mother.

The Rockets re-signed Mutombo in December after he played in 39 games with the team the previous season. He was a free agent and had considered retirement.

He played in nine regular-season games with the Rockets, averaging 1.8 points, 3.7 rebounds and 1.22 blocks.

Mutombo played 18 minutes in Game 1 of the series and had nine rebounds. The Rockets won the opener, 108-81, before the Blazers evened the series with a 107-103 victory on Tuesday.

"I've had a wonderful 18 years of staying injury-free, so I just want to go out with my head up, no regrets," he said.
tired.gif

How ironic is it that he gets injured with a collision with Oden too,
smh.gif

Time to step up and fill those shoes big dude.

Mutombo, you've been a great player and an even better person, we haven't heard the last from you though. It's a shame that he didn't get toget closer to Dream, but Dream was special.

But he's ahead of greats like Robinson, Eaton, Ewing, Shaq, Kareem, props to the big man..
pimp.gif
(for the record, Mark Eaton is my favorite shot blocker ofall-time, 7 straight years of either #1 or #2 in blocks, and averaged 5 per one year (a full 82 game season too) ). But Eaton is for another story.

deke.jpg

Thanks Dikembe
pimp.gif

Dude was the best player on the Nuggets squad that shocked the Sonics who were the #1 seed.

One of the best guys in and outside of basketball. Truly an honor to watch him play all this time. The league needs more Dikembe's.

Will always remember him for this:

431927453_t220.jpg

He was a beast on the defensive end.. I don't know why, but he probably wasn't developed into an offensive player that he could've been. Heaveraged 16.6 points in his rookie year, but never came close to that since.

A great player and a great person..

mutombo-yao.p1.jpg

"We need NBA Classics to show more of the Mutombo games so some of the youngest guys can learn. Everybody is trying me. I don't know why. That young boy tried so hard. ... He kept telling me, 'I'm going to get you before the day's over.' It's too bad. He tried, but he didn't get a chance to dunk on Dikembe Mutombo. He's not going to be able tell his grandkids, 'I got Dikembe with one.'"
laugh.gif
smokin.gif

Super appreciated. Only him and Mourning blocked shots with so much swag.

really wish he won a championship ring, such a class act on and off the court, and until the very last minute of his playing career he acted like it was hisvery 1st nba game, you could tell he loved the game and never took it for granted, played hard in any team he played for and always supporting the team and histeammates, hope his injury is not that serious, get well soon deke!

Dikembe is that dude
pimp.gif

I have a question....how is him waving his finger NOT a technical foul? I love when he does it, but isn't that a form of taunting? No different thanstaring down someone if you dunk on their head....

Man I get chills everytime I hear about this

2 of the last great Center's (Mount Mutombo and ZO) both end their careers with injuries --- not cool

Originally Posted by NoneOfYours25

2 of the last great Center's (Mount Mutombo and ZO) both end their careers with injuries --- not cool
I was about to say the same...
tired.gif

Back
Top Bottom