Moving To Los Angeles - Need Advice

Whats good yall.... So it looks like I may be getting relocated to a LA and i need yall advice... atleast the advice of those who live there...

my office will be in santa monica on colorado ave (around def jam offices) for those who know where that is..... Most of my freinds are saying move closer inland so your close enough to wrok but close enough to where things are going on cause it can be easy to get stuck on the "west side". I've been down a bunch but don't know enough about the entire city of LA to figure out where to move.

All i know is I don't want to have to drive to far to work
I want to have a lot of options available to me as far as playing bball goes
want to be fairly close to nightlife (clubs and ****) and fairly close to the airport

preciate anyone who can hold it down.... thanks yall!

depends, how far is too far of a drive for u to work?

right now i live like 7 minutes from work which is dope AF! but if i had to drive up to 20 minutes i wouldn't have a problem with that i don't think. Once I start getting towards 30 minutes its a problem but if its the right area I could deal. Anything past 30 minutes is def not happening

Go look at Westwood, it's where I lived the first time I moved to LA when I was 18 going to UCLA, its not too far from where u work, hollywood for the nightlife and LAX.  Also lota UCLA chicks live in the area 

Forget what your friends say. Stay on the west side.

What's your budget?

I want to stay somewhere nice and would prefer not to pay more than 2000. In fact I'd like to stay well below 2k

Go look at Westwood, it's where I lived the first time I moved to LA when I was 18 going to UCLA, its not too far from where u work, hollywood for the nightlife and LAX.  Also lota UCLA chicks live in the area 

I"ve heard westwood is far though, thats not true?

I want to stay somewhere nice and would prefer not to pay more than 2000. In fact I'd like to stay well below 2k
I"ve heard westwood is far though, thats not true?
Westwood should be like around 5 miles from where u work so that aint far at all.  If u wanna really be where the nightlife at u gotta move to hollywood but that'll put u at a further commute specially when theres traffic

As long as you live no farther east than La Cienega Blvd, you should be pretty good.

There's Santa Monica, Venice, Palms, Mar Vista, Westchester, Westwood, Brentwood, Mid City, Playa Vista, Marina Del Rey, Playa Del Rey, Century City...etc. etc.

The farthest east you'd probably be able to go is West Hollywood...but traffic will probably kill you.

Last edited:
OP

what time do you have to be at work?

if it's 8-9am.

stay/live in the westside. preferably in culver city or 90034 zip code.

you definitely don't want to commute from outside the westside into santa monica during 7-9am or 3-6pm.

EDIT:

if you're looking for under 2,000

definitely check out these zip codes 90035, 90034, 90024, 90019, 90016, 90064, 90066

Last edited:
OP

what time do you have to be at work?

if it's 8-9am.

stay/live in the westside. preferably in culver city or 90034 zip code.

you definitely don't want to commute from outside the westside into santa monica during 7-9 or 3-6.

EDIT:

if you're looking for under 2,000

definitely check out these zip codes 90035, 90034, 90024, 90019, 90016, 90064, 90066

I'd have to arrive at work around 9/930. I'm going to check out those zips though... def appreciate it

I live in 90025 about 2 miles from Colorado. Nice area, and safe if that's something you're concerned about. For under 2k you're going to have no problem finding a nice place on the Westside. My 2 bedroom runs 2k and I have a ton of space and parking.

There's no reason you shouldn't stay over here. You don't want to commute especially since the 405 project over here is going to be going on for another year so traffic on/off the 405 and the 10 is F'd up. Look in all the Zips Ryda posted, also include 90025.

I'd suggest you find a place that has dedicated parking because it's brutal to find street parking over here. As for Ball, the 24 hour fitness over on Ocean Ave is a good spot, Stoner recreation facility is right near your workplace, and people run indoor at University High School in evening. There's quite a few business on Colorado that have their own open courts as well. As for the airport on a good day without traffic it will take you 15 minutes to get down there. On a bad day 40 minutes. You can always just take the shuttle that picks up and drops off from Westwood (it's $10). Downtown takes about 30 minutes leaving from this area after 6:30. It usually takes me about 40 minutes to get to a Laker game leaving at 5:30 PM. Getting into Hollywood for clubs takes about 40 minutes taking Wilshire or Santa Monica straight down. Coming back home it takes about 20 minutes.

Hope that info helps. Feel free to keep asking questions.

I live in 90025 about 2 miles from Colorado. Nice area, and safe if that's something you're concerned about. For under 2k you're going to have no problem finding a nice place on the Westside. My 2 bedroom runs 2k and I have a ton of space and parking.

There's no reason you shouldn't stay over here. You don't want to commute especially since the 405 project over here is going to be going on for another year so traffic on/off the 405 and the 10 is F'd up. Look in all the Zips Ryda posted, also include 90025.

I'd suggest you find a place that has dedicated parking because it's brutal to find street parking over here. As for Ball, the 24 hour fitness over on Ocean Ave is a good spot, Stoner recreation facility is right near your workplace, and people run indoor at University High School in evening. There's quite a few business on Colorado that have their own open courts as well. As for the airport on a good day without traffic it will take you 15 minutes to get down there. On a bad day 40 minutes. You can always just take the shuttle that picks up and drops off from Westwood (it's $10). Downtown takes about 30 minutes leaving from this area after 6:30. It usually takes me about 40 minutes to get to a Laker game leaving at 5:30 PM. Getting into Hollywood for clubs takes about 40 minutes taking Wilshire or Santa Monica straight down. Coming back home it takes about 20 minutes.

Hope that info helps. Feel free to keep asking questions.

PM coming soon

There is a little truth to what people say about what people say about living on the west side but I think that only applies if the majority of your friends are inland. Since your new to town, that really shouldn't be a problem.

Traffic will murder you.

405 is a headache.

Parking is another headache.

People CANNOT drive.

Welcome to LA :nthat:

Westwood would be close, but not so sure you'd want to live there if you don't have a connection to the university. I'm about to start my final year at UCLA (renting an apartment in Westwood with some buddies) and i'm a little bit over the college atmosphere already. I'm a transfer student a few years older than everyone so that probably has something to do with it. Just thought i'd give my 2 cents.

South of Wilshire it mellows out some and could be better, but as for the area right around Westwood Village and UCLA I wouldn't want to live there if I didn't have to be close to campus. Not to mention rents are jacked up since property owners assume all students have rich parents that pay all of their bills.

Last edited:
There is a little truth to what people say about what people say about living on the west side but I think that only applies if the majority of your friends are inland. Since your new to town, that really shouldn't be a problem.

That makes sense.... people make it seem like "everything" goes on closer inland. So there is no truth to that?

Seems like you got all the info you really need already lol WELCOME

yeah everyone has been dope so far.... appreciate it

ayo for everyone in this thread.... question

would you rather have

a NICE studio for less money
a ok apt for a bit more money
or a NICE spot for WAY MORE money

i have no idea how to approach that

#3 for me but it depends on how ur paper's looking like

the way nice spot would be sacrificing money in other places (car, traveling, shopping, etc)... like right now my rent is OD.... i can swing it but i'd rather save some more money and upgrade my car. I'm probably going to end up doing 1 or 2

Whats good yall.... So it looks like I may be getting relocated to a LA and i need yall advice... atleast the advice of those who live there...

my office will be in santa monica on colorado ave (around def jam offices) for those who know where that is..... Most of my freinds are saying move closer inland so your close enough to wrok but close enough to where things are going on cause it can be easy to get stuck on the "west side". I've been down a bunch but don't know enough about the entire city of LA to figure out where to move.

All i know is I don't want to have to drive to far to work
I want to have a lot of options available to me as far as playing bball goes
want to be fairly close to nightlife (clubs and ****) and fairly close to the airport

preciate anyone who can hold it down.... thanks yall!
wait so you are not living in LA atm or what?

if you work in samo id def look for a place on the westside as others suggested as traffic is no joke

and the clubs arent too far 10-15 miles will be easy at that time of night

samo is also close to the airport and basketball can be found at the gym or parks or even some schools and even the YMCAs as well (depends what you want halfcourt or fullcourt)

and if your on a budget some places near smc are kind of cheap but the neighborhood isnt that bad really cause of the increased police presence

ayo for everyone in this thread.... question

would you rather have

a NICE studio for less money
a ok apt for a bit more money
or a NICE spot for WAY MORE money

i have no idea how to approach that

nice studio for less money.

why would you want to live uncomfortable to begin with. live within your means, stack up your money, get the hang out of living in new area. then when you get afford a better place move out

Back
Top Bottom