Music broke my heart

I left a couple comments in the Good Music: Cruel Summer thread that prompted this post. Not to continue that train of thought, but to
get something off my chest before I disappear from the music forum. Music is supposed to do one thing: Lift up God. Something

my pastor and wife tell me all the time. The music I cherished, Hiphop, didn't really do that. It mention God here and there but I enjoyed it

for the art. The beats, cunning lyricism is what I enjoyed. I'm 26 and I all my life I listened (but not limited) to this music. BD Kane, Rakim,

Special Ed (- I got it made, was my favorite song for years) to Em, Biggy, Jayz (used to be my favorite mc ever), to DBLOK, Kendrick, Slaughterhouse

I can go on forever. But I consider myself spiritually conscious. I want to focus on things that I cant see, those are forever, versus the

things I can see, which die, deteriorate, and decay. I tried to be beyond the material world and have a good walk with God. I still sin as everyone else, 

but I try to eliminate as much as I can. The push to find Godly music made little sense to me, my music wasn't harmful. It may be harsh, cruel,

explicit, violent, perverse and whole alot of other negative attributes. But, its just music right? It make you feel excited, hype, happy, calm , makes you feel good or 

bring back memories. Music is pretty powerful since it can do all these things. So why must I change? Rap music never caught a murder charge, 

or force anyone to steal, even if a song says it. It can't control you. It can only speak to you, right. I didn't understand fully until yesterday what I was letting 

into my life all these years...I go to church every week, read my bible every morning and night and try to have a good heart and 

reflect a good christian lifestyle. But I would bump TM103, or the latest mixtape in a heartbeat. This music wasn't in one accord with the lifestyle I wanted to live.

it wasn't cosigning the biblical message I was trying to get from church or from scripture. It was telling me the opposite. I was taking 2 steps forward, 2 steps back

and I couldn't see it until yesterday. After seeing the album art for Pusha T & Kanye's - New god Flow, my  eyes were finally opened. You can say what you want about 

me but God and my family are untouchable. Then I see my God being belittled and mocked and get his name misused and abused. This made me delete my music catalog of

over 500 albums from my hard drive and the 100 albums I keep on my droid. Music finally broke my heart. I ignored when Produgy dissed Jesus Christ on "Pearly Gates."

I just stopped listening to his music. But now I realize that rap, and rock are rebel music. They rebel against God. Not every artist, but the music

is so saturated which messages that don't life up God and sing his praises that at this point, I have to walk away. Music wont miss me, this forum prolly wont either. 

This may never get read, but I just had to share my testimony on how the music I loved didn't love me back. I was sad initially because I love hiphop

beats in paticular, so much vibrance in them but my soul is more important. Now I can empty out my mind of these 100,000's  of rap lyrics and refill it with God's word.

I would say it's been real, but it hasn't. For me, its been a maturing experience. God gets the glory all day!

P.S.

There's an attractive female out there you heard of that has intercourse with men for 4 hours,... and then kills them afterwards. She knocks at your door, do you let her in???

bruh your pastor and your wife are liars... GOSPEL music is supposed to praise god... the rest? not so much... freedom of expression...

You gotta understand some of these cats Really grew up in a environment where God or the gospel is like Santa Clause.

So when their expressing how they feel there just going by what they see around them. A great example is Cheef Keef.

Or even a young Nas when he said "God's, we dont believe in none of that %+%% ya facts are backwards".

It just an expression, right or wrong how they were feeling at the time...

If you follow the bible, music which doesn't worship god is of the devil.... It's that simple if u believe the bible is true, don't pick bits and pieces of it to follow....

you could listen to instrumentals right?? You don't have to give up beats if that's what you really like OP...

Y'all are children if you can't respect how OP feels.

I think its commendable that OP is searching for music that reinforces a priority in his life. I would agree with UNCfatfan who said you could look for instrumentals and I would suggest limiting your hip-hop selection to that which works with your beliefs. Nothing wrong with picking and choosing.

Originally Posted by Matt53

You're a child if you think that his words are infallible just because he's speaking on God.

I fully respect his decision to better himself, that's awesome and truly a great thing, but he is saying a lot of stuff that is just wrong.

He said music's sole purpose is to uplift God. I can't accept that.

He brushed aside Prodigy's verse on Pearly Gates, then allows some artwork to instigate his abandonment of music? I don't understand that logic.

Music itSELF didn't break your heart...

Limiting yourself to WHAT you listen to did you in.

Hip Hop/Rap isn't music...

It's a GENRE of music.

Open up to different genres and eras (if you haven't) and you'll be fine.

Originally Posted by thisizdray

If you follow the bible, music which doesn't worship god is of the devil.... It's that simple if u believe the bible is true, don't pick bits and pieces of it to follow....

This. Don't nitpick BOI! SWERVE!

Originally Posted by PLVN

Originally Posted by Matt53

You're a child if you think that his words are infallible just because he's speaking on God.

I fully respect his decision to better himself, that's awesome and truly a great thing, but he is saying a lot of stuff that is just wrong.

He said music's sole purpose is to uplift God. I can't accept that.

He brushed aside Prodigy's verse on Pearly Gates, then allows some artwork to instigate his abandonment of music? I don't understand that logic.
I never said it was infallible and remember, you don't have agree with someone to respect em pleighboi. I personally don't agree with the idea that music's entire purpose to praise God, I'm with y'all on that.

Gemstones (shoutout to Cake) and Lecrae my dude...

...and I can't judge Kanye or Pusha for their atrocities no more than I can judge King David.

As a matter of fact...

...I can't judge anybody.
Spoiler [+]
And as a total aside, take this week to study the book of Ecclesiastes.

roll.gif
roll.gif
@ ppl  who actually read all the crap fam wrote, I just read buddy's PS. Fam just need to listen to Christian rap and sit down

I honestly tried to read that paragraph and kept re-reading lines.

Originally Posted by alex2182

roll.gif
roll.gif
@ ppl  who actually read all the crap fam wrote, I just read buddy's PS. Fam just need to listen to Christian rap and sit down

laugh.gif
real talk... i'm all for him aligning himself with god, but that PS... haha... really?!..

I did write alot, and I was actually trying to keep it short. When you talkn real life issues, things can get drawn out.Thanks to those who fought through the read 
and at least understood where Im at with mine. I'm not judging or anyone. Just showing YOU what I see. I can see that when you discuss the evils of what 

some people take joy in, people may feel offended. Im sorry, but I cant help that. Im just choosing this platform to share and chronicle this change in my life.

I should've named the post "My" Music broke my heart. But like I said in the initial post, I dont JUST listen to rap. But hip hip was my culture 

and that was what I reached for first (specially to kill the speakers n my truck) to work, at work, working out, washing dishes, anything was better wit music.

MUSICAL EX: God created man to please him. In every thought, every action. (ie Like a Father wants his kid to  please him. Go to school, get a good job,

please and thank you. Whatever. You dont have kids to please them. To want to please them is natural in parenting tho, but parents are the leaders 

and children are to fall inline with what the parent want. Some parents want kids to do whatever the kid want, but that is still up to the parent to decide)

Your comment freedom of expression? You can burn down a building and call it freedom of expression. That doesn't make it right.

PVLN: you never seen the bad side of something that you already liked/loved and brushed it off, because you still like what you liked and aint want it tainted? Or even just been in denial.

(ie: cute girl with a bad attitude?)

Now its mostly Pandora Instrumentals with me spitting off the dome. Its fun, keeps my mind sharp, but it aint the same. Im in new territory. Some songs I can tolerate, but I 

cant say Im a Gospel music fan. Christian Rap??? Its coming from the right place. Good intentions, but its conforming to the worlds standards trying to lift God, thats un biblical. 

Im not holyer than thou, Im not special. With or without hiphop music or music  period, Im still a sinner just like you reading. Im just tryna sin less and keep my thoughts more pure.

Im your average cat in the barbershop, just tryna be above average in the eyes of God. You dont have to believe what I do. I just wanted to share the changes I been goin through the last couple weeks. 

P.S. Seems some of yall got stuck on my last p.s. Just was tryna show you my situation how I see it. I want to let her in for the experience, but avoid the consequence. But thats

a risk I cant afford to take. (im done... for good)

I love being an atheist. I can listen to whatever I want
pimp.gif
*Plays Black Sabbath discog*

your analogies suck and you're obviously blinded by religion... good day sir... *Waits for u to tell me im going to hell*

Back
Top Bottom