My basketball league at The Salvation Army Vol. RINGER

OK, so I play in this league at the salvation army (church). The league only consists of 4 teams including mine, and the competition is D3, D2, D1collegiate level. The bigs are these corn-fed white dudes that range anywhere from 6'6" to 6'9". I'm just painting a picture for youguys...

Anyway, yesterday I walk into the gym and I notice a guy who looks remotely familiar. I go up to him and ask if you went to UofM (fellow Wolverines standup!). He says yes, and I asked if he played with my boy Scottie (Dion Harris), hesays yea. So, I'm like aww s---, dude is like 5'11" extra cocky and ran backup to my boy Dion. I'm thinking to myself "this justisn't fair"
ohwell.gif
because we've been having trouble in thisleague from the start.

The game starts and the opposing team only has 4 players on the court, but that doesn't even matter because these guys are raining 3's. Fastforward: six seconds left in the first half down 3. we call a time out...I glance down at the other teams bench to see if they were able to get a 5th. I noticethis dude and I'm thinking in my head he looks EXTRA familiar, like maybe I hooped with him before or something along those lines. Then I'm like F***!That looks like Ira Newble and a few seconds later a teammate of mine comes through and says, "Thisn****s went out and got a NBA player!" IT WAS IRA NEWBLE at a SALVATION ARMY BASKETBALL LEAGUE!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
mad.gif
Following the timeout I hit a 3 to tie the game up at the half 40 to 40

Fast forward: We ended up only scoring about 18 points the second half and losing by damn near 30pts. This dude (Ira) was getting and 1 after and1...hitting contested turnaround fadeaway jumpers, and dunking on ppl plus the foul
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
...it was sad! To avoid further embarrassment I pulled myself out of the game 4 mins into the second half and never returned.
embarassed.gif
laugh.gif

Do you guys have any stories of playing against NBA caliber players in a "Joe Smoe" type league?
nerd.gif

Oh, and I think we'll more than likely end up winless in this league. We're currently 0-3
grin.gif
ohwell.gif
tired.gif

I don't know why you're complaining, the Salvation Army league is about the only place Ira Newble will get any burn.

laugh.gif
funny **! story tho

True, but when you're a good gym rat type player, and this guy is fresh out the league! No matter who it is, its mad intimidating!

I don't know why you're complaining, the Salvation Army league is about the only place Ira Newble will get any burn.
laugh.gif

But nah, I would expect any professional (NBA or Overseas) to do work in a mens rec league. I wonder what the thought process is though inside of saidprofessional during the game.

^ His mindset was to make his every move look effortless. Which in most cases it probably was. Dude didn't even have on hoopin shoes! He was rockingrunning shoes (air max 360's).

I asked the PG during free throws why he had to go out and get a ringer of this caliber. He said because four of his normal teammates said they couldn'tmake it to the game. I guess he had no choice but to call up a NBA free agent.
alien.gif

Originally Posted by Demax777

Do you guys have any stories of playing against NBA caliber players in a "Joe Smoe" type league?
nerd.gif

Played against Baron Davis at the Y.

Played against PJ Tucker, Daniel Ewing, Flip Murray, Ricky Clemons....Couple dudes who went High-Major D1

Serge Zwikker, Melvin Scott and a bunch of former UNC players play in a few of the rec leagues around here.

I never did, but I watched Matt Barnes !%*% on dudes a couple times at the local gym while he was between the NBDL and NBA

I've seen Ronnie Price hurt some feelings out at the Golds gym here the summer before he signed to the Kings.

Fast forward: We ended up only scoring about 18 points the second half and losing by damn near 30pts. This dude (Ira) was getting and 1 after and 1...hitting contested turnaround fadeaway jumpers, and dunking on ppl plus the foul
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
...it was sad!

But I thought Ira Newble was one of the most frequently mentioned names in the "What NBA player do you think you could beat" thread.

Matt Barnes played in our Rec league with his brother
laugh.gif
the guy was so outta shape it was hilarious, he couldn't dunk to save his life and he was justpretty much launching half court shots

This dude (Ira) was getting and 1 after and 1...hitting contested turnaround fadeaway jumpers, and dunking on ppl plus the foul
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
...it was sad! To avoid further embarrassment I pulled myself out of the game 4 mins into the second half and never returned.
embarassed.gif
laugh.gif

How are you gonna just abandon your team...who you think you are, Scottie Pippen?
roll.gif

Originally Posted by FunkyFunke20

my brother played against romel beck in the league by our house. dude obviously smacked them up.

I remember this cat.� played for UNLV I think.� Ns footwork used to be nice.� and for the record, there's a huge difference between professional dudesballin in rec leagues and just having balled with a pro dude in a game of pickup at (insert random gym).� but to them its prolly all the same.� whoever team itis prolly front all the bread, and the Ira prolly was like I feel like gettin a run in, so ill go play.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by bmorekicks

This dude (Ira) was getting and 1 after and 1...hitting contested turnaround fadeaway jumpers, and dunking on ppl plus the foul
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
embarassed.gif
laugh.gif

How are you gonna just abandon your team...who you think you are, Scottie Pippen?
roll.gif
roll.gif
Sad thing is that was my best game so far. I shot 5 of 6 inthe first half 3 of 4 from downtown.

Originally Posted by bonafide hustla

I remember this cat.� played for UNLV I think.� Ns footwork used to be nice.� and for the record, there's a huge difference between professional dudes ballin in rec leagues and just having balled with a pro dude in a game of pickup at (insert random gym).� but to them its prolly all the same.� whoever team it is prolly front all the bread, and the Ira prolly was like I feel like gettin a run in, so ill go play.
laugh.gif

Exactly man, how often do you expect to go to your little league game and run into a pro or an ex pro?! I've played pick up before with pros, but hiss*** goes on record.

Its kinda like when you were a young'n & you and your boys were hoopin. Then all of a sudden the "big kids" come and take over thecourt...thats exactly how it felt
embarassed.gif

Not in a league but at pick up game at the local outdoor park Trevor Ruffin showed up and started pulling up from half court draining 'em like itwasn't nothing. This was when he was fresh out the league, last time I played with him dude got banged on by a 9th grade boy that's like 6'10" 105 lbs. He's washed up now though..got arrested for kidnapping this one kid and riding him around in the truck for an hour. Ever since then itwas down hill for him. No respect from the community. Saw him at the club once and he was directly in front of me in line...couldn't help but notice dudehad the hole the size of dime in his green sweater.

Other NBAers I've hooped with are Cliff Robinson (didn't play hard at all you could tell he wasn't trying to get injured) and Damone Brown. Playedwith Julius Page too in the backyard but he never made it.

I balled with Dickey Simpkins. His son reverse dunked on him.

Kenny Battle coached my basketball team, he was actually a decent shooter.

Originally Posted by FunkyFunke20

my brother played against romel beck in the league by our house. dude obviously smacked them up.

why you gotta bring up old stuff, punk?
yeah we played against beck in an adult league. it was the first game of the season and we won the championship the previous season and we were playing theteam that we beat in the ship from last season. it was always a good game when we played, but when i walked into the gym and see a mexican all star i was like,are you serious? this dude torched us for about 50 and we ended up losing by about 50. dude was money from inside the three point line. funny thing is, henever played another game in that league. he just showed up to play us. bastard.

Back
Top Bottom