My college degree is worthless apparently.

Originally Posted by lilpro4u

OP, the Peace Corps, United Nations Volunteers and the likes, are looking for people with your credentials. It would be a life altering experience, and an excellent selling point for grad school and better jobs. Look into it. GL

the peace corps is tough to get into for sure.  If I had the qualifications, I would do this in a heartbeat.  I say take this mans advice OP.  Your talents will def not go to waste

Originally Posted by HankMoody

When I think of an environmental studies program, I don't think money. I think passion. I think grassroots campaigns. I think non-profits. I think academia. If you wanted money in that area, you should have majored in Environmental Engineering or Enviromental Science.

The first few "I think" statements
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

Wait, are you complaining about making 42k a year?

I guess it depends on his circumstances...but I'll be living pretty good off that salary. Single dude with no kids...
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by DallasSneakerHead08

When I think of an environmental studies program, I don't think money. I think passion. I think grassroots campaigns. I think non-profits. I think academia. If you wanted money in that area, you should have majored in Environmental Engineering or Enviromental Science.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I recently graduated with an Environmental Studies degree. I chose the major because I had no idea what I wanted to do so I chose something that interested me. It is pretty tough to find jobs that pay really well but HankMoody really summed it up. The majority of my classes consisted of people who really had an legitimate interest and passion in the area and knew what kind of pay they would be receiving with such a degree. I lacked that passion and figured that out towards the end of my college career so in the Fall I will begin taking classes towards receiving by BA in Environmental Engineering. I don't think it's ever too late to go back to school and work towards an education in a related field. It will only help your marketability for positions that are higher paying. My current job also helps pay for some costs of continued education which will be huge for me. Your current employer may offer similar programs. Illpro4u aslo had some great ideas.

Originally Posted by Modern Day Hippie

Originally Posted by DallasSneakerHead08

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I recently graduated with an Environmental Studies degree. I chose the major because I had no idea what I wanted to do so I chose something that interested me. It is pretty tough to find jobs that pay really well but HankMoody really summed it up. The majority of my classes consisted of people who really had an legitimate interest and passion in the area and knew what kind of pay they would be receiving with such a degree. I lacked that passion and figured that out towards the end of my college career so in the Fall I will begin taking classes towards receiving by BA in Environmental Engineering. I don't think it's ever too late to go back to school and work towards an education in a related field. It will only help your marketability for positions that are higher paying. My current job also helps pay for some costs of continued education which will be huge for me. Your current employer may offer similar programs. Illpro4u aslo had some great ideas.
Funny that you guys mentioned this.
Just in my environmental law lecture today, our professor bought in a guest lecturer, his good buddy who happens just to be in charge of waste management for the CITY OF SAN DIEGO in the Environmental Services Department (http://www.sandiego.gov/environmental-services/) So she's pretty high up and there and did a ton of name dropping

Anyways, first thing she led off with was asking what majors students were taking in the class. Most said Biology, while a few answered with Environmental Sciences and one chick answered with Environmental Studies. She quickly gave those ppl a condescending 
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
 and told us that she would only hire Biology/Science/Math/Engineering majors. Basically said it's great and all that you are passionate about Environment and concepts like Sustainability, but that won't lead to future jobs. Felt bad for those guys 
ohwell.gif

Yeah and thats something that I've come to understand, be it late in my collegiate career. I started out in engineering but quickly got distracted in my first few semesters away from home and lacked the concentration that I needed for that major. I think that I've just matured enough now that going back and attaining that degree is something that I really want to do and will only be complimented by my current degree in Environmental Sciences. All I'm saying is that this degree isn't completely useless but you can't expect to make big money with it alone. If it's something that you have a true passion for, money shouldn't be the deciding factor. Wish OP the best.

There are a lot of talking heads here that are living in la-la land.  A lot of people do not have have jobs, let alone work in a field of their study.  Why is this serious?  Because on the long term side of success, if you go on the wrong path, you'll lose out even more!!  Essentially your degree will become WORTHLESS.  This is the same thing w/ something like nursing.  Sure, after all the hard work and registration you can make $40-60K easy, but that's all you'll be doing for the rest of your life, provided there are no technological advancements that'll wipe out nurses.

The point I'm trying to make is, your current job will more or less affect your career path.  Even more so, there are no guarantees, and you must be in a position where you can be more flexible than the other.

This is a perfect example though.  Sure you are making $42K a year, but you are now in a situation where you have to GIVE UP that salary in order to do something you want.  Do you see it now?  You'll take a pay cut to shift fields, there by lowering your income bracket.

Now, on the flip side, if I remained stagnant given the amount of years ane experience I put in for a particular company, I would want to leave as well.

^ I don't actually have the job anymore since I left it to move and pay off debt. It was a gig with one of the world's best cancer research institutes.
I kinda realized it was a bogus degree which is why I went the Environmental Health and Safety field for a job. I'm thinking about getting my A+,N+
and get into network security since I've always been strong with computers.

Just to offer perspective on the big picture.

Got my degree in Business Administration. Wanted to start my own company, thought degree was worthless but I finished. Never thought I would need it.

Ran business. Stopped doing it. Started a job at the "bottom" in government. Again, didn't need degree.

Worked way up with 4 promotions in 2 years. Did not need degree yet, worthless at this point.

Networked a bit and another government liked my work and offered me a job - it required a degree to even get an interview. Got the job.

Now I am finishing my Masters... again, don't need it now, may never, but I did it to stay competitive because if opportunity did knock, would I want the lack of a degree to hold me back?

Degrees are what you can make of them, and some of it you have no control over but leverage the odds in your favor - they may be "worthless" during certain periods of your life, but government and corporate America still place a value on the ability of a person to commit to a course of action and complete it.

Just my 2 cents.

Originally Posted by Osek206

laugh.gif
 But really I'm mad as hell. I decided to move in with my brother to change my life around because making 42k after 6 years experience in the Environmental Health and Safety field with my degree in Environmental Studies just doesn't make since to me. I'd like to move back to the westcoast, Baltimore sucks to me but I really need to change my career first or it would be a pointless move.  Has anyone successfully changed their career around and actually became more successful in the process? Tips would help but ultimately I'm going to need a new direction.

what college did you go to?

Slightly off-topic, however...
I know the economy's bad, people are out of work, etc, etc, but why has the general theme lately been that people should settle (and be totally happy) with whatever they're getting paid?  Is it wrong to feel like your education + experience should make you worth more?
Every time I see a thread about jobs or salaries its a bunch of people saying "you should be happy with that salary" "that's more than enough to be comfortable" "I got a friend with 5 masters and 3 doctorates who makes 8.00/hour"  

If you're cool with you salary (whatever it may be) because you feel it is appropriate considering your experience and education that's perfectly fine.  But if you're only cool with your salary because you're comparing yourself to other people who make less or because somebody else is telling you that's what you should be happy with y'all are seriously limiting your growth and devaluing yourself.

Peace. 

I wouldn't call my degree worthless, but I'd like to reword it from BS Electrical and Computer Engineering from Oregon State University to I taught myself Electrical Engineering because the professors here are pompous, useless !#@** that didn't teach me anything.  I'd also like to remove Oregon State University from it as they did nothing but take my money and print out the stupid thing.  Yes I'm mad.

...go to Texas or a state that has big business in environmental industries...these oil fields n rigs need people with experience n credentials...

Originally Posted by allreds

What the... I am also doing that, but focusing in Public Health. I'm in CA though I hope that makes a difference. GL op
Ouch. My friend graduated from UC Irvine with a degree in Public Health and was working at Safeway part time for minimum wage for a year after he graduated. He now has a pretty good job in a completely unrelated field

Damn you went to school to make that much I feel your frustrations. Move to WI hell of jobs opening up over here for the Gov most start around that much only been working for them about a year and a half and already making about 38k

How much did you start at OP and how much do you expect to be making now?

No rent/ or car payments, sounds like the good life. It honestly sounds like you're more discontent with your living situation than the actual job.

Finally, do you really have 6 valuable years of experience? Keyword being valuable.

Best of luck on whatever you attempt in the future.

ayo... I did some volunteer work with The Nature Conservancy in Michigan. Money does not flow freely in environment protection. That said, they are a very passionate and resourceful group.
My contact there had 2 degrees and was working in pharmacology before deciding to go into environmental protection. After volunteering there, they said they could offer me an unpaid internship.

I'm thinking about interning with Ohio EPA next summer, got to get the experiences padded up if I don't want to get left behind. Make good use of your connections.

why dont you enlist as an officer in the military. im sure theyll be able to find a spot for you somewhere.

Originally Posted by Twig1026

You're bugged out bro, there are dudes with masters degrees struggling with dominos jobs...be grateful, without your degree 42k may not have been possible
laugh.gif
word, there's zero jobs out there.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Originally Posted by Twig1026

You're bugged out bro, there are dudes with masters degrees struggling with dominos jobs...be grateful, without your degree 42k may not have been possible
laugh.gif
word, there's zero jobs out there.
Anybody else just completely disagree?  I feel like there are tons of jobs out there but that now only truly qualified, connected people are getting the offers they deserve.  Out of my 600 facebook friends 98%+ of them have finished their undergrad degree (or more) and almost all 98% seem to have jobs.  It is much tougher to get that 'amazing' job with perks, bonuses etc but if you have experience, education and an ability to network there are still tons of jobs out there.  A simple look at SF Bay Area craigslist tells me that.  People that don't have a great job also don't seem to understand how to get one.  Use a recruiting service, take an unpaid internship, etc etc...there needs to be momentum to get that offer.  Just applying to jobs off the internet is really tough nowadays.  
For example, before I was at my current job I was out of work for six months.  I had a 80k+ job working for AT&T business in downtown ATL but knew that the city and the job was not my passion.  I quit and I moved back to California to change my lifestyle.  I was out of work for six months and nothing was clicking for me because who wants to hire someone that quit a great job and doesn't have any experience besides that job.  However, that wasn't true; it was just my self-limiting mindset.  They just didn't hire me because I just applied over the internet and I was a faceless number among thousands others likely.  

I was on the Warriors website and realized that I would have to start somewhere and change what I was doing.  I looked at the staff listings for the Warriors and noticed it said the college they graduated from.  One of the guys working there graduated from the same university as me, and the same year.  I went to my LinkedIn account and found him on there and since we were both part of the UCSB Alumni group I could send him a message.  I sent him a short message, "Hey, I'm also a Guacho.  I don't think I knew you at college but thought I'd reach out to you to see if you had any advice about getting a position with the Warriors.  I am really interested in a similar position to the one you are doing and wanted to ask you a few questions.  If you have some time let me know when is a good time to chat.  Thanks!"  He sent me a message back, and a time and direct # to call.  We chatted and he gave my resume directly to the hiring manager.  I got invited in for an interview (along with 4 other people). I asked them how they got interviews and all of them had family or close friends that worked with the Warriors.  I was the only one that made it through to even the interview stage without having that personal connection.  After the interviews I got an offer, but decided to go with another job that was I was interested in (and best decision of my life thus far).

Originally Posted by malikdagoat

Slightly off-topic, however...
I know the economy's bad, people are out of work, etc, etc, but why has the general theme lately been that people should settle (and be totally happy) with whatever they're getting paid?  Is it wrong to feel like your education + experience should make you worth more?
Every time I see a thread about jobs or salaries its a bunch of people saying "you should be happy with that salary" "that's more than enough to be comfortable" "I got a friend with 5 masters and 3 doctorates who makes 8.00/hour"  

If you're cool with you salary (whatever it may be) because you feel it is appropriate considering your experience and education that's perfectly fine.  But if you're only cool with your salary because you're comparing yourself to other people who make less or because somebody else is telling you that's what you should be happy with y'all are seriously limiting your growth and devaluing yourself.

Peace. 

to continue your tangent.

in some cases,  yes, it is wrong to believe you are worth more than what you are earning.  a lot of people have a sense of entitlement.  they feel that because they went to college and got a degree in a certain field that they should be entitled to make X amount of money.  The reality is, youre worth what the market will pay for your services.  If you cant find someone willing to pay you $100K for your services, then tough nuts, you are not worth $100K a year.

heres my tangent on a tangent.

Its this sense of entitlement that causes people to %*+#+ and moan bout illegal immigrants stealing jobs from hardworking americans (with limited marketable skills).  These immigrants arent stealing anything.  Market price for manual labor just happens to be minimum wage or close to it.  Just because you are an American citizen and former union worker doesnt mean that you should get paid $22/hr to pick strawberries in a field.  People like this complain about a lack of jobs because they feel they are too good to compete with other unskilled laborers for the $7/hr job working in the fields.

Back
Top Bottom