My generation appreciation thread - Grown Folks Only

I'm really feelin my generation right now and wanted to shout it out. I'm 28 an can say I've seen an experienced so many good things people shoesetc. growing up that no other generation has had or maybe will have. Back in my high school days it was so hard to keep up. We had all the heat at once. Jordanin his prime, Nike & JB in it's prime, 2 Pac, Michael Jackson in his prime, Biggie, Saved By the Bell
smile.gif
, Penny Hardaway, Bill Clinton, strong economy.Everything from then is all anyone wants nowadays. Alot of young cats can't appreciate that. Alot of things that happened then strongly influencedtoday's trends and styles like no other generation has or will. I just appreciate getting to be young at that time. Wouldn't change it for the world.Cause kids today don't know how good we had it and how bad they do.

hammer time.....vanilla ice.. witnessing the birth of the information age... Oregon Trail... Ninja Turtles.... the Clinton years... yezzir
pimp.gif

I'm 26, and what I'm really thankful for is developing my communication skills before the birth of 21st century technology. Some of my young dudes haveno idea how to properly communicate. They've never had to go through the motion of approaching a young lady in middle school that they did not already knowand introducing yourself, telling her that you liked her. Straight butterflies
laugh.gif

Some of these dudes are straight pimps on facebook and myspace, and while they get results, they do not know how to initiate contact without the internet.

I mean when I see two cats talking !%%+ to each other online when they live in the same neighborhood, you know there's a problem. And that brings anotherpoint, these new jacks are afraid to fight. How are you 17 years old, never been in a fight, but you carry a heater? Wherever is that done?

If I shot everybody that I've ever had conflict with, it's a good chance that I wouldn't have some of my closest friends. Out of all the people inmy inner circle that I grew up with, I can only say that it's two people that I did not fight with.

Not too long ago my cousin got into it with this dude, I believe he was 19. Dude was coked up and was screaming, all ya'll is old heads, we young wildnegros. You an old head. Well needless to say, little dude got the breaks beat off his +*+. I guess these youngsters forgot, back then we'd get into afight just because it was Tuesday. I never met someone forget how to fight.

But I digress, I appreciate my generation, and these youngsters don't know, don't show, or just don't give a damn about growing up in the 80's.

ohwell.gif

24yrs in and I feel that our time is comin for our generation. I remember last yr there was a thread about our generation aint got any major historical eventto define us forreal besides 9/11. Survivin this recession and buildin up the economy gon be our claim to fame ?
pimp.gif

It's up to our generation to teach these youngsters tho. We gotta at least speak the wisdom and pray they take heed to it instead of lettin em rock out.

I consider anyone from 21-29 to be the same generation. (We lived the 90's)

Rap was at it's prime

Basketball

Fashion

Fresh Prince.... Need I say more.
frown.gif

i'm jealous of those who lived the 90's....i was born in 92, but didn't get to experience much of the 90's.

The music was incredible.

I don't care for this generation. Bunch of shallow, worthless, selfish pieces of !!%@. Can't wait to get off this rock we call earth.

pimp.gif
Definitely appreciated!

I'm 26 by the way........Wish I can relive those day's...........

"I aint afraid to die, I wanna see whats after this"

every generation says theirs is better than the one that came after it, this is old hat

I don't much care for our generation either. Took all the opportunities and freedoms those before us fought and died for, and #$%+#!$ them all right downthe toilet.

24 checkin in!

i can dig it!!!!!!

started talkin to this one youngin a few weeks ago and shes 19........
smh.gif
@ how much of an impact 5 years difference can make!
laugh.gif
devil.gif
@ her though......

I'm 28 for another couple of months and I definitely feel you OP (pause). There was nothing like experiencing the golden era of east coast hip-hop (94 and95, and to a lesser extent 96) first hand.

I consider anyone from 21-29 to be the same generation. (We lived the 90's)
I consider the 90's generation those that were in high school during that period. That is when you truly enjoy everything, as you get older.

So the 90's generation is more like 24-32, IMO.

Think about it, if you are 21 now, then you were 11 at the turn of the century. Sure you enjoyed the Power Rangers and Nickelodeon, but not the truly goodthings that made the 90's special.

I'm in LA, and listening to KDAY (93.5 fm) takes me way back *sheds tear*

- Jordan in his prime
-NBA in the 90's
- Hot Kicks
- The rise of grunge (Pearl Jam, Nirvana, etc.)
- Rap at it's best (Biggie, Pac, Rappin 4 Tay, Nas, Bone Thugs, Snoop, Westside vs. Eastside, etc.)
- The G Funk Era
- Steve Young/Jerry Rice 49ers
- Cowboys vs. 49ers
- The rise of Brett Favre and the Packers

I'm glad there was no internet back then, and video games were cool but didn't engulf your life. I play video games still, have yet to venture online(
frown.gif
). I'm glad most of my memories growing up, the best ones I haveare stories from chillin' around the block.

I run into people I grew up with from time to time, always reminds me of the final scene of the Sandlot
frown.gif
. We were tight, people just went their seperate ways little by little.

Hide and go Seek, Hoops until the sun went down, baseball in the street

*puts head down and cries*

/ rant

Good thread.

I'm now 30 and I recognize just how carefree life was back then, especially compared to now.

Gotta part company with the Bill Clinton folks, tho. It's easy to fly the plane when it's on auto-pilot. *Kanye shrug*

It's wild how much things have changed in just a little over 10 years. Back then, really the only way to buy things was at the store or from a catalog,even phone orders. For basketball, all you needed to do was turn on the tv on almost any night and watch legendary, golden era players play.

Life was pretty pure back then, unlike the manufactured, shallow, cheap quality, high priced, selfish, spoiled, hate-filled, boring stuff going on today.

In a way I feel like anyone who was in high school during the 90s was part of the last generation to experience life and pop culture before it took a decidedlysharp turn for the worse around 01/02.

Originally Posted by I AM KNOWLEDGE

I'm 26, and what I'm really thankful for is developing my communication skills before the birth of 21st century technology. Some of my young dudes have no idea how to properly communicate. They've never had to go through the motion of approaching a young lady in middle school that they did not already know and introducing yourself, telling her that you liked her. Straight butterflies
laugh.gif

Some of these dudes are straight pimps on facebook and myspace, and while they get results, they do not know how to initiate contact without the internet.

I mean when I see two cats talking !%%+ to each other online when they live in the same neighborhood, you know there's a problem. And that brings another point, these new jacks are afraid to fight. How are you 17 years old, never been in a fight, but you carry a heater? Wherever is that done?

If I shot everybody that I've ever had conflict with, it's a good chance that I wouldn't have some of my closest friends. Out of all the people in my inner circle that I grew up with, I can only say that it's two people that I did not fight with.

Not too long ago my cousin got into it with this dude, I believe he was 19. Dude was coked up and was screaming, all ya'll is old heads, we young wild negros. You an old head. Well needless to say, little dude got the breaks beat off his +*+. I guess these youngsters forgot, back then we'd get into a fight just because it was Tuesday. I never met someone forget how to fight.

But I digress, I appreciate my generation, and these youngsters don't know, don't show, or just don't give a damn about growing up in the 80's.

ohwell.gif

QFT.. Thats was a time that the ice cream man ice cream was actually dessert. No internet predators, pedobears. If you think about it mid 80's-90'safter that nuttin new or innovative has happen. Even as far as technology.

All they done is made a current/updated version of what we started. We had internet.. just faster now. There was flat screen tvs. Just more affordable now.Even in videos games, the top sellers are just revamped updated versions of old games. The cars, they just bringing revamp new versions of older models. Donteven have to get into fashion etc. I dont think ive seen 1 oiginal fashion trend/statement of this generation.

Ok myspace etc we had that aka yahoo chatroom aka aol chat, telephone chatlines. We had cellphones. Music how many samples remakes updated versions of videosis gonna come out. even tv shows just about any and everything this generation has done is either an updated version of the prior or a copy/remake

25 ( in 4 days) checking in.

I really grew up in the later half of the 90's, hip-hop's golden era. Pretty much all I remember when I think about the 90's.

bonethugs.jpg

151420__outkast_l.jpg

ghost__raekwon_2_copy.jpg

camplouptown.jpg

tupacbig.jpg

The+Roots.jpg

...To witness such a beautiful form of expression totally reverse itself within less than a 10 year cycle really bothers me. And sets the tone for ageneration.

penny-hardaway.jpg

Back
Top Bottom