My NY nters..........does New York still have the same ambience(swag)?

New York is the most ambianthetically diverse place in the entire world b.

One block you might have a romantic ambience, around the corner might be an academic ambience, down da street might be a spooky ambience.

Brooklyn alone has like 15 different ambiences b.

And ny has the best chimichuras.

The best chimichuras

Facts only.

NY is the ******* center of the multiverse.

[h1]Manhattan’s population density is changing – and not in the way you’d expect[/h1]
By Barbara Speed

jacob_riis_lodgers_in_a_crowded_bayard_street_tenement.jpg

Residents in a Bayard Street tenement around 1890. Image: Jacob Riis at Wikimedia Commons.

Below are two population density maps of Manhattan. One is from 1910; the other 2010. The latter shows a city that’s absorbed the explosion in high-rise living and the growing desperation of pretty much everyone in the world to live on an island that isn’t getting any bigger (well, not much bigger, anyway). 

densities.jpg

The twist is, the diagram that best mirrors the skyscraper-littered shape of modern Manhattan actually shows the city at the beginning of the last century. Here are the same diagrams again:

census.jpg

Image: Schlomo Angel, Planet of Cities.

Over the past century, Manhattan’s population has actually fallen by a little under 25 per cent. To put it even more plainly:

This shrinkage tells a story of improved transport links and living conditions. In the early 20th century, many factory workers lived in packed tenement blocks, often with large families. These tenements clustered on the Lower East Side, where population density has now dropped from at least 1,200 people per hectare to 600 or fewer. The rich, meanwhile, employed fleets of servants, making the average household far larger than it is today. 

Subway expansions, price rises and the razing of the city’s slums all helped push residents to other boroughs over the past century. As a result, far more people now work in Manhattan than live there. These density maps show the island’s current population densities by day and night:

densities%20by%20day%20and%20night.jpg

Image: Joe Lertola, via Time Magazine.

As you can see, those red blocks don’t magically reappear in the visible portions of New Jersey or Brooklyn at the end of the working day – these city workers come from even further afield.

This ability to commute to the packed island, rather than attempting to live there, was massively boosted by the introduction of a subway system whose fares are part-publically subsidised. The first underground line opened in 1904. The network now covers pretty much the whole of New York City:

NY%20subway%201904.png
current%20subway.png

The island’s population recently began to rise again, so it remains to be seen which way the trend line will go. If flying cars  take off, of course, no one will need to live on overpriced Manhattan real estate at all – it’ll just be a network of office blocks and landing strips.

http://www.citymetric.com/horizons/...density-changing-and-not-way-you-d-expect-468

The essence of the city remains the same.

This. The city is cleaner and safer (that's a good thing) but you still see random **** all the time. Dudes still arguing on the block, old heads still playing dominos on the streets, skate rats, graffiti hasnt gone anywhere just cause it's not on the trains itself doesn't mean it left. Many buildings still have graffiti on them. The Bronx is still the Wild West. Homelessness is still rampant. Dudes still catching fades and getting robbed on the train that 4,5,6 and A line ain't no joke after midnight b. Fire hydrants still get turned on during the inferno days of summer cause we have water to waste unlike some other states. Hookers and dope heads still on the strips. Dam near everything is 24 hours now. The Essence is still alive and well the city is just cleaner and have had stricter rules and regulations since gulliani but we get around it.

Last edited:
New York City is no more.

It's some pre-fabriacted, police locked down, overpriced, copy-catting, largely soul-less entity now.

They might as well rename it and start rebranding at this point.

Last edited:
Laugh at son if you want to but the net did change NY IMO. Gentrification and the Internet...the policies that were put in place, etc all contributed to the decline of what NYused to feel like and mean. IMHO. You don't have to agree. Dont really care but if you want an honest opinion, instead of ******** on freedmind you should consider it.

Last edited:
Its still home and I still love it but it definitely has changed. Somewhat better, somewhat worse.

Gentrification in Brooklyn has hurt a lot of cultural activities as well as the feel of certain areas. Outside of that I can't really comment.

On a serious note, while NY is undoubtedly the most culturally diverse city on planet earth, the downside is the segregation.

Folks are really ignorant when it comes to other cultures.

Folks always think the South is racist, man NY is racist AF.

And it's not like it's an older generation thing, the youth are really ******* ignorant. Like on some unbearable ****.

I think it's a Northeast thing in general 'cuz I hear Massachusetts, NJ, Pennsylvania etc be on the same steez.

A lot of it is because how school districts are chopped up. And it's crazy, you'll have some school districts where half the students are straight up coming from the hood and the other half are rich Jewish and Italian kids.

It's racist everywhere b ny is no exception. Ny would be a republican city if we didn't have all the minorities we do.

It's racist everywhere b ny is no exception. Ny would be a republican city if we didn't have all the minorities we do.

Sure it's racist everywhere, but the way NY is so sharply demographically sliced up given the diversity is just......disappointing.

Places that are the most diverse are the most segregated though. Being from California it's hella segregated too. People front like its some utopia of cultures enjoying each other...nah. 

Sure it's racist everywhere, but the way NY is so sharply demographically sliced up given the diversity is just......disappointing.
yo fam you from ny? or you just speaking out your a**? Cus for the most part everyone is integrated, sure there is different areas or neighborhood and youd see a predominant ethnicity, but everyone interacts and coexist with each other. My lil cousins play ball with the kids at the park with all types of people black, brown, white, asian, candy stripe.  Take that Ny slander somewhere else b

Yeah idk what the hell he talmbout....lol

I was sitting down eating some Mexican food in a Dominican owned restaurant in the heights, with a white couple to my right, Asian couple to my left, I'm Colombian my wife is Dominican, behind us was what looked to me like a Jamaican dude on a date with an Arabic chick...

But....

TOMATOES, bro....

Yeah idk what the hell he talmbout....lol

I was sitting down eating some Mexican food in a Dominican owned restaurant in the heights, with a white couple to my right, Asian couple to my left, I'm Colombian my wife is Dominican, behind us was what looked to me like a Jamaican dude on a date with an Arabic chick...

But....

TOMATOES, bro....
I don't think most people, including yourself, understand tolerance and diversity are completely independent of implicit bias...

Last edited:
Bro....NY is Diverse, NY is integrated...yes there are neighborhoods with dominant ethnicity, where a certain group might segregate itself...but those people don't just stay within those neighborhoods, that's just where they live, Dominicans don't just stay in the heights, Chinese don't just stay in Chinatown, Colombians don't just stay in Flushing, Italians don't just stay in ThrogsNeck, blacks don't just stay in Harlem...we all coexist well together within the city, of course there is racism like everywhere else....but the feeling of diversity you get here, you won't get elsewhere.

Bro....NY is Diverse, NY is integrated...yes there are neighborhoods with dominant ethnicity, where a certain group might segregate itself...but those people don't just stay within those neighborhoods, that's just where they live, Dominicans don't just stay in the heights, Chinese don't just stay in Chinatown, Colombians don't just stay in Flushing, Italians don't just stay in ThrogsNeck, blacks don't just stay in Harlem...we all coexist well together within the city, of course there is racism like everywhere else....but the feeling of diversity you get here, you won't get elsewhere.
Forrest Gump is another good movie, his uniqueness was one of the motifs that supported the main theme of the film, which was "stupid is as stupid does". Forrest never fit in because he didn't follow social cues from the people around him. His sense of equality was pure, unlike the people in his life who went through decades of stupid and dramatic changes trying to be anything other than what Forrest represented. All while calling him the "stupid" one.

l1sS80u.gif

iQwMJnv.gif

...you are sir don't realize how your statement appears to others who are enlightened. In fact, it may be too deep for NT, but it profiles the logic of a closet racist or passive observer.

Last edited:
How can you say that when there are so many cities in the world that are just as diverse?

Forrest Gump is another good movie, his uniqueness was one of the motifs that supported the main theme of the film, which was "stupid is as stupid does". Forrest never fit in because he didn't follow social cues from the people around him. His sense of equality was pure, unlike the people in his life who went through decades of stupid and dramatic changes trying to be anything other than what Forrest represented. All while calling him the "stupid" one.

l1sS80u.gif

iQwMJnv.gif

...you are sir don't realize how your statement appears to others who are enlightened. In fact, it may be too deep for NT, but it profiles the logic of a closet racist or passive observer.

What are you even rambling about Nomad?...go sit in a corner somewhere bro...lol

Back
Top Bottom