Nas & Damian Marley - Distant Relatives - April 20, 2010

Just saw them today. Genius
pimp.gif

Alright guys I think I finally figured it out, Wayne must have spotted Nas a couple stacks for his child support money in exchange for letting him get a verse on this.

Originally Posted by JJ1223

Alright guys I think I finally figured it out, Wayne must have spotted Nas a couple stacks for his child support money in exchange for letting him get a verse on this.

yea i still feel he doesn't belong on the song at all...

Album is DOPE...

Only joint I wasn't feelin was the single...

But even thats a decent track for todays standards...

Gotta give it a few more spins before I can give it a review...

from the previews I heard, I didn't expect Nas & Damian to have the chemistry necessary throughout the entire album for it to be really good....I was wrong. The flow from beginning to end is seamless.

Definitely the best album I've heard this year, very solid piece of work....

Originally Posted by Jumpman2314

He was only put on the album to give it more appeal to sell since wayne sells records...
album was very good, but Damian been talking about same stuff in his older albums.

yall should give it a listen. 

the Wayne feature is irrelevant. you would have to be checking for the album regardless to even know Wayne is on it.

Concert in the rain in Austin tonight. Gonna eat some brownies beforehand so it shall be incredible

I went to the concert in Houston last night. The energy was CRAZY the whole show. Great album and an even greater show.

Originally Posted by sosmoove

I went to the concert in Houston last night. The energy was CRAZY the whole show. Great album and an even greater show.

Yep, I got their extra early just so I can have a front stage view. I was surprised at the turnout in Houston. 
pimp.gif

^ Houston show was NUTS indeed I saw Nas afterward, he was pretty quiet and rushed to the bus oh yeah and the album is classic.

Been excited for this joint since the news of them doin an album togeather... Even tho I didn't think it would actually happen tho...

Guess Damien Marley has a serious work ethic and got NaS on his !$+#...

As We Enter
The 1st single... A lil faster then the tracks NaS is acustomed to rappin on... Has a real OLD school type of feel, with NaS and Marley goin back and fourth... Not my favorite song, but its not too bad.
3.5/5

Tribal War
This joint is DOPE... NaS bodies it, the beat is dope, it appropriatley has that native feel to it. K'naan is featured on this, dude has a nice lil flow. And the fact that he's Somalian it was only right to throw him on the joint given the songs inention.
4.25/5

Strong Will Continue
Sounds more like a Damien Marley song featuring NaS than ANYthing... Not a bad thing, this song turns out pretty good. NaS once again spits a DOPE verse.
4/5

Leaders
Just has a 70s funk feel to it... Just real laid back and smooth, all around GREAT song...
4.5/5

Friends
This joint leaked earlier than some of the others... Production is on point, the blend of hip hop & raggae is at its BEST on this joint... Nice message too... Once again NaS spits an AMAZING verse of REAL !$+#...
4.5/5

Count Your Blessings
Another song that sounds more like a Damien Marley track... Once again that's not a bad thing, just a smooth +## track, laid back sounds like somethin his pop would've made... NaS sounds 22 again on this joint...
4/5

Dispear
This joint is pretty good, but nowhere near as good as the other songs on the album so far (except maybe "As We Enter")
3/5

Land Of Promise
Has a "9mm Goes Bang" feel to it, never a bad thing, but this song is a lil boring...
3/5

In His Own Words
Another joint that sounds more like a Damien Marley joint... I REALLY like this song...
5/5

Nah Mean
Kind of like "Ha" except it's "Nah Mean" if you know what I mean... Prolly not the best idea in the world, deffinetly not that orginal but it ends up being pretty decent
3.5/5

Patience
I guess that's what the !$+# the chick is sayin means in whatever language... Sounds Indian to me #kanyeshrug... But this song is pretty dope
4/5

My Generation
The Lil Wayne & Joss Stone collaberation... A lil slower than the joint that leaked earlier that has NaS and Wezzy sounded 10 years younger... Not the best beat in the world, but Joss Stone kills it, NaS is NaS, and Weezy doesn't sound too drugged up... May have even been sober when he did this joint
4/5

Africa Must Wake Up
Another joint that leaked a while back, loved this join then, STILL love it now... Perfect way to end the album
5/5

Verdict:

NaS has always been someone who has had aforcentric vibes throughout his music, it was a given that he would eventually do something that would have a direct effect on what's goin on in the Motherland... Who better to pair up with then the son of the legendary Bob Marley... I was a lil nervous when I heard that Damien & Steven would handle ALL the production for the simpe fact tha I don' remember them ever producing a hip hop record before, and NaS has never really been one to tell a good beat from a bad one... This could have been disasterous...

The blend works 85% of the time, there are a few tracks that would've been better suited to just choose between one of the 2 genres targeed here, but its not a big enuff problem to really affect the WHOLE album....

Overall

4.25/5

I was with you for the most part until you rated what are IMO the best (Patience) and the worst (My Generation) song on the CD 4/5. Just my opinion though, nice review.

Damn this is the most quiet Nas album i've ever heard to date. When a Nas album drops it seems like the world stops.
laugh.gif
Even NT as well. I missed this 19 page thread so I guess its not as quiet as I thought but damn. I'm jammin' to this album. Nice album. First thing I bumped was that Wayne song and that song is nice as well. Didn't expect that.

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

Land Of Promise
Has a "9mm Goes Bang" feel to it, never a bad thing, but this song is a lil boring...
3/5

Nah Mean
Kind of like "Ha" except it's "Nah Mean" if you know what I mean... Prolly not the best idea in the world, deffinetly not that orginal but it ends up being pretty decent
3.5/5

Nah Mean> Land Of Promise?
smh.gif
come on man, although im pretty sure its me cause i cant stand Nah Mean but still
smh.gif

Spoiler [+]
Just cause you said that

AZ>Nas

laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom