[:NBA ALL-STAR Weekend Thread - NT's Post Game Debate: "Why Didn't Rose Dance?" (PG. 115+):]

Originally Posted by show time 96

Guy's like JR Smith, Josh Smith & iguodala have already done it yrs ago do they really care to do it again? i doubt that

it could be good if you get young big name player's like blake griffin, john wall, demar derozan and D rose ( he probably won't do it) or other's

DC all american how is Wall dunking ability overrated ? he can jump out the gym & is a creative dunker not just 1 or 2 dunks in his bag like Lebron
Perfect candidate to do what? COme in 5th? John Wall isn't a dunk contest type of dude. Not sure what you see in him to say otherwise.
He can get up but in a dunk contest I don't see him doing anything for people to be saying, "He would have won if he was in it." Or like Kenny/Shaq saying, "He should have been in the dunk contest." He wouldn't have done anything entertaining if he was in it.
Oh I forgot about Derozan, but people keep saying STARS. STARS aren't making it better. STARS aren't exciting dunk wise.

I know big guys aren't fun to watch in dunk contest but I would really want to watch DeAndre Jordan doing his thing. DeAndre and Derozan are good enough for me. John Wall is nice, too. 

I missed the event but saw some of the highlights
eek.gif
That was awful. I'm glad I did not waste my time watching this garbage.

If I had my ideal contest

James White
Iggy
Derozan
Gerald Green
T-Dub
Kenny Dobbs

I know you all want to see big names but those dudes aren't bringing any fire. Actual dunk fire. They will bring hype, sure. But who cares about that?

Originally Posted by xbiker47

Originally Posted by CoolNClutch

Forget the NBA players...I'd rather see the best dunkers from around the world. James White, TFB, people who actually specialize on this stuff. I don't want to see LeBron do basic dunks but because of his name and the hype, everyone will go crazy over him and he'll win automatically

all of this

I don't think you'd get too many people to watch a dunk contest of non-NBA players on All-Star Saturday night.

There are plenty of ways the NBA could make it work without it hurting their brand. Let's say you have 5 of the best street dunkers in the world. You pair each one of them up with an All-Star player as a "coach" and hype it up for weeks leading up to the event. Viral videos, have them as guests on Inside the NBA, etc. Therefore you've got LeBron, Kobe, and whoever still apart of it in a big way. The casual fan might not know who any of these guys are but they'll still end up tuning in and cheering for the dunker that has their favorite NBA player in their corner. Even make them wear customized uniforms during the event, stamp it with the NBA logo, and sell it.

It's not that difficult at all, they just have to think outside of the box in terms of how to market it. Unfortunately, I wouldn't trust them with doing that successfully.

There are plenty of ways the NBA could make it work without it hurting their brand. Let's say you have 5 of the best street dunkers in the world. You pair each one of them up with an All-Star player as a "coach" and hype it up for weeks leading up to the event. Viral videos, have them as guests on Inside the NBA, etc. Therefore you've got LeBron, Kobe, and whoever still apart of it in a big way. Even make them wear customized uniforms during the event, stamp it with the NBA logo, and sell it.

It's not that difficult at all, they just have to think outside of the box in terms of how to market it. Unfortunately, I wouldn't trust them with doing that successfully.

i like this idea alot

There are plenty of ways the NBA could make it work without it hurting their brand. Let's say you have 5 of the best street dunkers in the world. You pair each one of them up with an All-Star player as a "coach" and hype it up for weeks leading up to the event. Viral videos, have them as guests on Inside the NBA, etc. Therefore you've got LeBron, Kobe, and whoever still apart of it in a big way. The casual fan might not know who any of these guys are but they'll still end up tuning in and cheering for the dunker that has their favorite NBA player in their corner. Even make them wear customized uniforms during the event, stamp it with the NBA logo, and sell it.

It wouldn't work.. Fans want to see NBA players participating, not random dunkers from outside of the league, no matter how good they are.. At the end of the day, the league wants to promote their own players. And the dunkers' teams get recognition through the dunk contest, and that is market. For example, after today, the average NBA fan would be like, "Damn, didn't know Jeremy Evans could dunk like that!!" and start catching more Jazz games.

this is actually a good idea, fambs.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by FOG

It wouldn't work.. Fans want to see NBA players participating, not random dunkers from outside of the league, no matter how good they are.. At the end of the day, the league wants to promote their own players. And the dunkers' teams get recognition through the dunk contest, and that is market. For example, after today, the average NBA fan would be like, "Damn, didn't know Jeremy Evans could dunk like that!!" and start catching more Jazz games.
In the big scheme of things and long-term, you're right but it wouldn't hurt to give it a try just for one year to give it some life and inspiration. They just need to do something to try to spice it up because it's getting stale. We went through a nice run with the VC to J-Rich era contests. Then there was the trend of players wearing costumes or using props to make their average dunks look better but now that's gotten old too.

Originally Posted by FOG

ANY thing is better that what I saw tonight
eek.gif

What are these young dudes doing in high school and college these days? They  don't have any basketball skills and now they don't even practice dunking
eyes.gif

Only good dunk of the night was Evans' double-dunk.

All the theatrics and props are the downfall of dunk contests...I hated it when NateRob/Dwight used them and Blake last year, this year's was worst of all as the execution of everything is just laughable. They're just great opportunities for the NBA to plug their sponsors in (like Blake with the Kia). First thing to improve these dunk contests is to simply limit the props and emphasize the actual dunk itself.

that double dunk takes ridiculous coordination and timing, i'm pretty damn impressed

but i agree they need big names, regardless of if the dunks are more creative or not. that's what makes it more exciting. if i wanted to see ridiculous dunks then i'd get on youtube and watch some real highlights. i want to watch the dunk contest to see my favorite players competing. isn't it still all star weekend? i'd never heard ofEvans until the contest and i probably won't remember his name tomorrow.

i wish more people dunked like VC, where not only did he make the dunks, but he made it on the first try for the most part, and perfectly. i still think he has the best windmills of all time.

i'd rather see blake griffin throw down a regular oop and almost break the hoop than the garbage we saw tonight (buddinger
sick.gif
)

Originally Posted by bjamez20

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]that double dunk takes ridiculous coordination and timing, i'm pretty damn impressed[/color]

but i agree they need big names, regardless of if the dunks are more creative or not. that's what makes it more exciting. if i wanted to see ridiculous dunks then i'd get on youtube and watch some real highlights. i want to watch the dunk contest to see my favorite players competing. isn't it still all star weekend? i'd never heard ofEvans until the contest and i probably won't remember his name tomorrow.

i wish more people dunked like VC, where not only did he make the dunks, but he made it on the first try for the most part, and perfectly. i still think he has the best windmills of all time.

i'd rather see blake griffin throw down a regular oop and almost break the hoop than the garbage we saw tonight (buddinger
sick.gif
)

Check that one Kenny Dobbs video a page or two back.

Dude did a through the legs dunk with his left hand to right hand, then at the same time someone threw an alley and he yammed it in with his left. Yes, same jump.
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

Originally Posted by 10 Piece Nuggets

Originally Posted by bjamez20

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]that double dunk takes ridiculous coordination and timing, i'm pretty damn impressed[/color]
Check that one Kenny Dobbs video a page or two back.

Dude did a through the legs dunk with his left hand to right hand, then at the same time someone threw an alley and he yammed it in with his left. Yes, same jump.
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
that dudes dunks were like nba jam style.  his dunks were crazy, and they all looked polished, full rotation and all that.  

Back
Top Bottom