NBATV Appreciation Thread. Best single-sport channel on TV?

I'm not trying to turn this into a NBATV VS MLB Network VS NFL Network VS NFL Redzone, but I love NBATV man.

During the off-season it's a drag sometimes, but at least they have older documentaries like Larry VS Magic, or Open Court, or classic games.

And during the NBA season? Man... I can watch GameTime from wire-to-wire.

I really like Matt Winer, I think he has a bright future with Turner Sports, but I also really like Vince Cellini, corny Rick Kamla, David Aldridge, Sekou Smith, and Jared Greenberg. Then of course Tuesday's you get a double-dose of Ernie Johnson, which is always a good thing.

There's just enough live look-ins and analysis that it can keep me engaged, or it's something great to leave on while you are doing other things around the house. Plus you get to see just about every close finish in the NBA, which is awesome.

Then the former players and coaches, :pimp: . From Greg Anthony, Dennis Scott, Steve Smith, Isiah Thomas, Alvin Gentry, GP, Brent, Shaq, among others.

There isn't a channel I turn to before NBATV. Not ESPN, not any movie channel, nothing else. :pimp:

Is Open Court still on?

If so, anyone know where to catch the full episodes :nerd:

Last edited:
pimp.gif

i dont watch the talk shows they have but i love the channel.

the highlights, live look ins, etc

the only gripe is the horrible choice is games they show :x :x :x :smh:

I think MLB is the best. NBA is pretty good too, it's debatable. I think NFL is easily the worst. NFL AM is a sick joke

I actually find the channel boring. All the hosts are vanilla and the studio vibe is usually sterile.

When you watch MLB TV and NFL Network, the panelists don't really hold back and aren't afraid to put their neck out there in a debate.

On NBA TV, they are usually like "C-Webb just brought up an interesting point" and "to piggyback on what D Scott said". Like dude, we see the game and aren't dumb. I don't watch sports discussions to hear logic. Where is the barbershop talk?

I think it's the way the channel is run that is the problem. When Kenny Smith is on NBA TV, he looks bored out of his mind. They want it to be too professional unlike TNT. But that's how you talk about hoops.

You get actual personalities on MLB TV and NFL Network.

You get dudes talking loud like this guy:

thumb.jpg

Last edited:
the only gripe is the horrible choice is games they show :x :x :x :smh:

They're handcuffed by the fact ESPN/ABC and TNT get all the marquee games. Also, I'm not sure if the national broadcast appearance rules apply to NBATV as well (teams are only allotted a certain number of scheduled appearances). Regardless, that's why you see the C and B-Grade games on NBATV. Also, Turner isn't willing to commit a national broadcast crew to nationally televised NBATV games. I could see it maybe happening in the future, perhaps for just the Tuesday night game, but I'm not holding my breath.

As for the studio panel, my only gripe is they need to cut down on the number of people involved. They don't need every recently fired coach on set.

Come on Japanese. NBATV might be the worst channel sports wise. Hardly any original programming compared to the other stations. Hell no. And Basketball is my sport.

NFL network in the offseason is the best. All the America's Games, Football Life's, Top Tens, freakin awesome. NHL is good as well with games

I prefer MLB Network to NBA TV. The quality of analysts, hosts, and debates are unmatched. Mind you, we had to live through the Eric Snow and Cheryl Miller tandem a couple years back. One talks too soft and the other too loud. On MLB Network, I thoroughly enjoyed all the Mike Trout vs Miguel Cabrera debates. Brian Kenny was great.

I think it just depends on how much you like baseball or football, how much you care about more than just your team in those sports, and whether or not you still care in the offseason/outside of the playoffs.

For me, yea I love NBAtv, But NFL Films are gorgeous.

Other than Open Court NBA TV is boring. It gets better when Ernie and C-Webb are on there though.

NFL Network is probably my fav channel period. America's Game series, The Top Ten shows and the pre game/post game shows.

they've slowly started following NFL networks lead in terms of programming, but it could be alot better. need to show more historical kind of stuff, documentarys, teams, etc to people. i know that may cannibalize some dvd sales but its better for the channel/brand overall.

NFL AM is god awful, but other than that, the channel is the best out of the bunch.

Back
Top Bottom