Need a photographer's advice: Good camera for a beginner? vol. no instagram

I know nothing about photography.
My little sister's birthday is coming up, and she's getting interested in photography. I want to buy her a good beginner camera, something that wont cost me toooo much (I'm hoping in the $500 range), but something she can use for at least a few years and enjoy and learn from.

Thanks in advance.

I'd recommend a Canon t2i or t3i, both would be awesome starter cameras and last for years of enjoyment. Get one with the kit lens, and if someone else (parents, friends, etc) wanted to get her another lens, go for the 50mm f/1.8.

Originally Posted by mfoy23

you can get the canon t3 for like 550 with a kit

T3i. The T3 is a pretty basic camera with far less features. The T3i has a swivel screen which can come in handy in certain situations and also has great low light sensitivity if she wants to take pictures in the dark or low lit rooms. If that's a little beyond your budget, the T2i offers many of the same features and is a little more affordable.

Originally Posted by airjordanjack

I'd recommend a Canon t2i or t3i... and if someone else wanted to get her another lens, go for the 50mm f/1.8.
This.

I have the T3i and the 50mm.  Great starter kit.

Nikon d3100 is nice too. Definitely good for a beginner w/ the tutorials on the camera, instead of in a manual.

Well he said his budget was 500 so I just stayed in that ball park but if you want to pay a little more get the T2i or T3i with the kit your pay a few hundred more I personally have the T2I its great you could even look for a t1i if 500 is your limited. I mentioned the T3 because it for his little sister. Reguardless she can get the basics down and if shes seriously wants to pursue it upgrade body in a few years. canon has the loyalty program where she can upgrade to a nice refurb down the line.

Best places to buy would be B & H online they also sell used products with a warranty or just go to best buy.

Whats the main different between the T3i, T2i and T3? I'm considering upgrading from my G10 too and going with a real DSLR. T3 seems to be the cheapest of the 3 so is the T2i better?

I got a Canon 350D a few years ago, which was one of the entry level DSLR's, great camera, suited all of my needs, except for live view, which wasn't something they added on to DSLR's, still love it.

Originally Posted by RFX45

Whats the main different between the T3i, T2i and T3? I'm considering upgrading from my G10 too and going with a real DSLR. T3 seems to be the cheapest of the 3 so is the T2i better?

The T3 is a stripped down version of the T3i. It doesn't have the swivel screen and the sensor isn't as good (i believe it's smaller too). It's definitely cheaper for a reason. If you're on a budget, look for the T2i since it has many of the same features of the T3i except for the screen and a few minor features.

I came from a G5... I loved that camera but I wanted an SLR.

I have the T3i now with the 18-135 IS lens... Working out amazing for me so far... I love that it has the swivel screen like my G5 did.

Sample shot from over the weekend at a wedding...

IMG_0310 by mattf2686, on Flickr

t3i was a good choice. they're only 550$? should still be like 7-800$...did you get it used?

Look through slickdeals.net

If nothing works out I highly encourage going through the Canon Loyalty Program.

1. Buy a broken Canon off eBay - about $10
2. Call into the Loyalty Program and with that broken Canon they give you 20% off of their refurbished prices.
3. For the T2i Kit it will be just a little bit north of $500.

Somethings to remember:
Refurbished for Canon does not mean there was something wrong with it. It just means that it was returned. They are unable to sell it as new for legal reasons.
Most of accutations that are less than 10.
T2i is a nice little camera, and you can install MagicLantern to boost performance.

Her her stick with the kit lens until she can take a picture that can "wow" you.
Too many kids are buying L lenses and setting everything on manual.
If you can kick !$% with the kit lens think of what you can do with a nice sharp f stop at 2.8.

Thanks for posting man, i was curious about this myself.

lazybonejone
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

I have the T3i now with the 18-135 IS lens... Working out amazing for me so far... I love that it has the swivel screen like my G5 did.

Looks good. Is that edited or enhanced by any chance? I'm really looking for a DSLR camera that shoots well w/o much enhancements or sharpening needed. I'm just no good with it. 
Also, since you mentioned you got a "18-35 IS lens" does that mean it is a different one from the one bundled with the T3i here: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canon+-+EOS+Rebel+T3i+18.0-Megapixel+DSLR+Camera+with×55mm+Lens+-+Black/1980124.p?id=1218304066943&skuId=1980124&st=t3i&cp=1&lp=1

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

Looks good. Is that edited or enhanced by any chance? I'm really looking for a DSLR camera that shoots well w/o much enhancements or sharpening needed. I'm just no good with it. 
Also, since you mentioned you got a "18-35 IS lens" does that mean it is a different one from the one bundled with the T3i here: http://www.bestbuy.com/si...gapixel+DSLR+Camera+with�55mm+Lens+-+Black/1980124.p?id=1218304066943&skuId=1980124&st=t3i&cp=1&lp=1
its the 18-135... http://www.bestbuy.com/si...18-135&cp=1&lp=7

And no that picture is not processed at all... Taken in aperture control setting with manual focus... uploaded straight from the card.

Back
Top Bottom