Need help on paper! God's existence! HERE WE GO!

Well, for philosophy we have to do a paper.
sick.gif
Topic: Anselm's argument that God exists...
Rubric: Evaluate the quality of the argument's logic and the truth or falsity of the arguments premises.
sick.gif

The premises are

1.    God is a being for which no greater can bethought

2.    If God is the greatest that can be thought,nothing greater than God can be conceived.

3.    Therefore, nothing is greater than God inimagination

4.    If God does not exist, then there is something“higher

If god doesnt exist in thought to a specific individual he cant exist to that individual therefor he doesnt exist. - im just breaking down the philosophy NOT MY OPINION WHAT SO EVER ... Aced 2 philosophy classes a while back , individualism always creates an interesting argument in the field of philosophy

Begin with criticizing Anselm's argument for God's existence by saying that you could replace God in his argument with literally anything with an intrinsic maximum. Things like knowledge, moral integrity, power, etc.

Then reference other peoples' arguments in combating his.

http://www.iep.utm.edu/ont-arg/#SH2a

atheism is really like religion when you see the word God and rather than not believing and not caring for it as it means nothing to you

you are instead compelled to participate in every conversation.

vegetarians for example don't go into kfc threads or any thread concerning something common like the daily intake of meat in one form or another.

instead they make the adjustment to their lifestyle, follow their own beliefs, and carry on with their day. when asked about their choice or faced with cruelty of animals seems to be the only time in depth discussions come out.

and i'm not trying to shutup atheists but it really is stupid going over the same circular arguments that you can't physically provide proof.

i know its off topic but yeah the inevitable is coming.

also i love philosophy so this could possibly be real cool

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Sillyputty just jizzed in his pants.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

"God" is the magical word that summons Sillyputty. Mention "God" in your thread and Sillyputty will post within the hour  
laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by Liban906

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Sillyputty just jizzed in his pants.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

"God" is the magical word that summons Sillyputty. Mention "God" in your thread and Sillyputty will post within the hour  
laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif
son cant turn a potential debate down
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by frostythepoptart

atheism is really like religion when you see the word God and rather than not believing and not caring for it as it means nothing to you

you are instead compelled to participate in every conversation.

vegetarians for example don't go into kfc threads or any thread concerning something common like the daily intake of meat in one form or another.

instead they make the adjustment to their lifestyle, follow their own beliefs, and carry on with their day. when asked about their choice or faced with cruelty of animals seems to be the only time in depth discussions come out.

and i'm not trying to shutup atheists but it really is stupid going over the same circular arguments that you can't physically provide proof.

i know its off topic but yeah the inevitable is coming.

also i love philosophy so this could possibly be real cool

are you referring to Jesus's return to Earth 
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Im playin.. 
laugh.gif

but the opposite of what you said is true as well, believers always try to convert others to there religion, so....  
grin.gif

hope this helps. i got a B on it.

Alvarez, David
Paper #1
Philosophy of religion, Phil-7-2562
Dr. Fjeld
2-24-11
God
To me, god is not a he or a she. God is not a super powerful being. In my beliefs, god is more of a positive energy, or what I would/will sometimes call “the light

Phil of religion was my favorite course in undergrad.
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif

This is actually a pretty easy assigmnent. It's not asking you to prove that God was Jesus' father or if he created the world (I would advise staying as far away from these points when answering) - simply if he (it?) exists or not.

Use that knowledge to answer each premises' validity and truth and you should be well on your way.

To throw a wrench in the argument, if some being created God, and you can conceive that being, is the entire argument false? But then who created that being?

Spoiler [+]

Isn't that the Ontological question? Be sure to add some Kant and Schopenhauer.

Back
Top Bottom