Netflix Mini-Series When They See Us

Came out this past Friday. Tough to watch. Finished the first episode so angry and disgusted with what those boys had to go through.

I was there wishing death on the people that destroyed those boys' lives.

Nothing much has changed in regards to our Clown in Chief either.

interested to hear why you think this?

No need just genuinely curious

I'm tired of us having to be the victim for a film to be made

Obviously these stories are valuable and I support those of us involved and wish them continued success

I'm just not personally supporting any slave movies, anymore movies about us as the help, the victim, the wrongfully accused, the abused

That **** gets old

We have been and are so much more than victims

It just further ingrains our mistreatment and suffering into our heads

not like white people gonna watch it and all of a sudden give a ****

so what are we doing? educating ourselves on things we know all too well?

Watched over the weekend. Truly sad story that highlights glaring issues in our criminal justice system.

Obviously these stories are valuable and I support those of us involved and wish them continued success

I'm just not personally supporting any slave movies, anymore movies about us as the help, the victim, the wrongfully accused, the abused

That **** gets old

I see where you’re coming from. And I believe that these are good because (not to
Sound ignorant) white people will watch.

Netflix is a great platform for everyone to see. Rather than just airing it on let’s say BET.

The subject becomes trending. Look what happened. That Linda *** deactivates all her social. Calling for a boycott of her books.

The kalief browder story was another that we, the black community,
Knew about and it got Exposed to the steaming platform which exposed it to others.

Last edited:
Watched over the weekend. Truly sad story that highlights glaring issues in our criminal justice system.
glaring issues with a system that was designed to do exactly what you saw play out in the documentary.

the issue is the ppl. the ppl created the system.
the ppl enforce the system.
laws were created, procedures, etc.

if the ppl change (and they have to want to) then the system changes.
and here we are. same system controlled by the same ppl.

That **** gets old

their story needs to be heard but I feel you.
but not enough ppl know just how it was and is. it honestly should be required viewing for americans IMO.

this story and the way it was told in the doc is powerful and nothing will change because we are surrounded by ppl that don't care at all.
so again, I feel you.

glaring issues with a system that was designed to do exactly what you saw play out in the documentary.

the issue is the ppl. the ppl created the system.
the ppl enforce the system.
laws were created, procedures, etc.

if the ppl change (and they have to want to) then the system changes.
and here we are. same system controlled by the same ppl.

There is an issue as it relates to the presumption of innocence that is systematic as it is implemented. There are issues with jail, due process rights, etc. All of those were illustrated with this case. And "tough-on-crime" politicians usher in a lot of the ridiculous antics that police do and sadly get away with. It was a horrible example of a consistent issue with our system.

why we continue to watch and make films like these is beyond me
Yep.

I tried to watch it, but couldn't get through it. A few years ago, I decided I wouldn't spend my time watching movies that just rehash all the trauma and pain we have inside. I know how most of these stories end, and it's never good. Always puts me in a bad place. Confuses me now why people go into horrible stories willingly and just let all that real live negativity in.

I tried to watch because the story is all so familiar to my childhood and where I came up, but that makes it harder honestly.

Think I'll go back to avoiding these horrible true stories. There's enough on the news everyday that I can't avoid hearing.

Plan on watching this after Chernobyl.

Heard a lot about the name of this case, but nothing about it.

There is an issue as it relates to the presumption of innocence that is systematic as it is implemented. There are issues with jail, due process rights, etc. All of those were illustrated with this case. And "tough-on-crime" politicians usher in a lot of the ridiculous antics that police do and sadly get away with. It was a horrible example of a consistent issue with our system.
so i'm from crack epidemic nyc and i'm telling you its the people.

all the so called brokenness and due process this and that, etc. is on purpose. ppl intended to do this to us and intend on continuing to do this to us.
its not a mistake, omission, etc.
its on purpose. the documentary spells that out.
our real lives spell that out.

you know what its like to step over someone strung out, hear automatic gunfire and still be able to relate to the kids in the doc?
I felt what son said so hard. nobody gives a **** about us bro.
they put us into this and are watching like its a game.

their story needs to be heard but I feel you.

This. I felt that way about 12 years a slave, but I think this story is important because--at the very least--people can learn some of their fundamental rights. Advice on not saying a word to police until a lawyer is present. These kids were in an impossible situation with hours of interrogation that would wear on any adult, much less a child. And the exploitation of them by police can be understood through watching this film. A lot of people don't realize that police can legally lie during an interrogation as it relates to testimony from other witnesses.

so i'm from crack epidemic nyc and i'm telling you its the people.

all the so called brokenness and due process this and that, etc. is on purpose. ppl intended to do this to us and intend on continuing to do this to us.
its not a mistake, omission, etc.
its on purpose. the documentary spells that out.
our real lives spell that out.

Oh, make no mistake. It is very deliberate, and intentional. When I say systematic I am talking about the people within the system and the laws designed to keep the jails and prisons full. Public perception also helps to get the results prosecutors want. Notice how the news spun stories to couch it as if the kids were guilty prior to the trial. Privatized prison is BIG business. And the entire system is sculpted to do numbers. And there is a disparate impact on communities of color. This case was one of many awful examples of it. They also mixed in other issues outside the judicial system about the lack of resources many families have, which is all a part of the same wheel.

That **** gets old

I agree with this. There are many stories out there that would depict our people in an empowered light, but we don’t see those films being made. There’s a Hollywood budget in place for the downtrodden black films. At this point in my life, I’d rather see our people not being portrayed as victims. We’ve seen that some more times than I can remember.

I also recognize that I’m a bit biased on this one, though. I read up on the CP5 incident a few years back, so this story isn’t new to me. I can see the value in having the miniseries on a platform as big as Netflix, as it can spread the information to the masses. I won’t let the fact that I’ve been aware about the matter stop me from appreciating the interest the general public is going to have for this story. Awareness has to begin somewhere I suppose.

Yep.

I tried to watch it, but couldn't get through it. A few years ago, I decided I wouldn't spend my time watching movies that just rehash all the trauma and pain we have inside. I know how most of these stories end, and it's never good. Always puts me in a bad place. Confuses me now why people go into horrible stories willingly and just let all that real live negativity in.

I tried to watch because the story is all so familiar to my childhood and where I came up, but that makes it harder honestly.

Think I'll go back to avoiding these horrible true stories. There's enough on the news everyday that I can't avoid hearing.

I feel you fam i don't need that negative energy on my spirit that **** weighs on you especially once you start thinking about how it could've been you or someone you love

I agree with this. There are many stories out there that would depict our people in an empowered light, but we don’t see those films being made. There’s a Hollywood budget in place for the downtrodden black films. At this point in my life, I’d rather see our people not being portrayed as victims. We’ve seen that some more times than I can remember.

I also recognize that I’m a bit biased on this one, though. I read up on the CP5 incident a few years back, so this story isn’t new to me. I can see the value in having the miniseries on a platform as big as Netflix, as it can spread the information to the masses. I won’t let the fact that I’ve been aware about the matter stop me from appreciating the interest the general public is going to have for this story. Awareness has to begin somewhere I suppose.

Exactly.

I appreciate any potential awareness this spreads but what really comes of it? some white lady had to shut down her social media? whoopty doo

White people watched roots in droves and still don't wanna see us get reparations

Dudes who think that there should only be movies and stuff they want to see :lol:

Well why don't you go in to producing content and become a creator?

So if they don't cover the stuff that happened negatively, wouldn't that be considering covering it up and trying to erase it? So they shouldn't talk about it at all?

Yet, people complain when the content is produced. And the content is also a way of educating, bringing awareness and also praising people who over came.

And are you guys actually supporting uplifting stuff?

watched the first two episodes. Ish left me mad at the judge, the police department, the DA & the jury panel.
This is why I refuse to demonize any male of color when it comes to sexual assault until I see proof.

Dudes who think that there should only be movies and stuff they want to see :lol:

Well why don't you go in to producing content and become a creator?

So if they don't cover the stuff that happened negatively, wouldn't that be considering covering it up and trying to erase it? So they shouldn't talk about it at all?

Yet, people complain when the content is produced. And the content is also a way of educating, bringing awareness and also praising people who over came.

And are you guys actually supporting uplifting stuff?
Dog, why you always so combative?:lol:

Yes, I support uplifting stuff, but that shouldn't nullify the point that it being made: Hollywood largely looks for these stories to tell before anything else. It gets tiring when all these movies, even the 'uplifting ones' lead off with some kid getting shot by a cop. It's become a trend and it's sickening at a certain point. I get that some of these stories are accurate, but there are also stories about young black kids that don't have to touch on the worst parts of it.

On top of that, I think all of these stories over and over about our trauma past and present do have an impact on the collective psyche of our community. I'm sick of the recycling of negative traumatic stories that we know like the back of our hand because we experience them everyday, to be consumed for the entertainment of the general public. That's not to say they should never tell these stories, some are definitely educational, I'm just side-eyeing how that seems to be the formula for black stories right now.

With that said, I'm not saying this miniseries or any entertainment shouldn't ever be made, but the way we're bombarded with these stories 7 times a year is trash.

Dog, why you always so combative?:lol:

Yes, I support uplifting stuff, but that shouldn't nullify the point that it being made: Hollywood largely looks for these stories to tell before anything else. It gets tiring when all these movies, even the 'uplifting ones' lead off with some kid getting shot by a cop. It's become a trend.

Yes just like real life, no?

Back
Top Bottom