r/midsoledeals - New Balance x Aime Leon Dore 650R Review
Model: New Balance Classic x Aime Leon Dore 650R high top

Release date: Pre-ordered 7/30/21, arrived 4/22

Retail price: $165

Avg resale value: $230

Color way: White/Grey

Style Code: BB650RA1

Difficulty to acquire: Easy

The 650R is the tall & handsome distant cousin of the retro 550. A high-top version of the remake to the P550 Basketball oxford released in the 1980s.

The NB 650R x ALD released in 3 colorways: green, grey, and black along with a vintage-inspired look with pre-yellowed faux aged midsoles. Uniformed with Aime Leon Dore branding.

Above - official press image - all other photos are my own unless stated

I was lucky enough to cop the grey colorway. My favorite among the trio.

official press image - all other photos are my own unless stated

I say lucky but not really. This was an easy sneaker to buy unlike most hyped collabs on the market. Instead of making the true fans fight bots online, they used a timed pre-order system. Whoever wanted to shoe had a few days to pay upfront, then sit and wait.

8 months later…

Well worth the wait…

I hope more brands do releases like this in the future.

Brief History of New Balance x Aime Leon Dore 650R

New Balance 550 is a legendary sneaker that is finally getting its well-deserved fame after 31 years after the first release. All thanks to Teddy Santis and his brand Aimé Leon Dore.

Originally released in 1989 under the name “P550 Basketball Oxford”, didn't do very well in the current market which was dominated by Nike and Reebok.

It was 30 years later when Teddy Santis, founder of Queens, New York based fashion and lifestyle brand: Aimé Leon Dore (pronounced 'eh-meh lee-on door') rediscovered this lost gem. He was to buy a used pair from an undisclosed collector. Back in his shop, he meticulously rebuilt it from scratch. Making 8-10 revisions to the original design.

The New Balance 550 made massive waves in the sneaker world in 2020 when he released and planted the seeds that blossomed the 650R.

Sizing/ Comfort

New Balance sneakers generally fit true to size. I think that's true to this shoe as well. I can however see the benefit of sizing up considering they are high tops. The shoe provides a thick padding on the ankle area while keeping the base of the heel hollow. When fully laced, the high cut hugs the ankle and cups the heel, giving the shoe a sculpted and secure feel in step and at a stand still.

I sized up with retro 550 low tops & I wish I didn't. My true size is a bit snug in the 650R but I think over time they will break in nicely.

Styling

A tribute to the 80s, this retro basketball trainer can be paired with countless attires; denim jeans, cargos, sweats and even shorts. I can see them working well with tapered or baggy cuts of pants.

These are now among the most versatile sneakers in my collection.

Rating (Out of 5 👟 )

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TH]Comfort[/TH]
[TH]👟👟 👟 [/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Design/ style[/TD]
[TD]👟👟 👟 👟 👟[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Value[/TD]
[TD]👟👟 👟 👟 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Total[/TD]
[TD]👟👟 👟 👟 👟[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Where to buy New Balance x Aime Leon Dore 650R?

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TH]Site[/TH]
[TH]Average resale price[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ebay[/TD]
[TD]$300[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Stockx[/TD]
[TD]$234[/TD]