New football league will try to sign Vick

I heard about this on Mike & Mike this morning and saw this article...
The fledgling United Football League, set to play in four cities beginning in October, will officially announce its four head coaches at a press conference in San Francisco on Wednesday.

In addition to former New York Giants coach Jim Fassel, who will lead the Las Vegas team, the UFL has hired Dennis Green as San Francisco's coach, Jim Haslett for Orlando and Ted Cottrell for New York. All except Cottrell have been head coaches in the NFL.

It is also believed the league is trying to have former NFL quarterback Michael Vick play in its inaugural season. Vick is scheduled to be released from prison in May but faces a suspension from the NFL for his conviction related to dogfighting.

Link

Think they'll actually get Vick to join in that league?

By the way, when are these games going to be played? I know it'll be in the Fall but it'd be foolish for them to have the games on Sundays. Saturdaysmaybe?

hmm he might sign with this league if no team offers in the NFL
this the new XFL?

Originally Posted by that WAVE

hmm he might sign with this league if no team offers in the NFL
this the new XFL?
Sounds more legit from recent reports...

Jim Fassel, Dennis Green, and Jim Haslett are all coaches and it sounds like they're going after more top-name players?

Originally Posted by JPZx

By the way, when are these games going to be played? I know it'll be in the Fall but it'd be foolish for them to have the games on Sundays. Saturdays maybe?

I heard Mike and Mike say something about them play on Thursday Nights, but I'm not sure. They said it wouldn't work on Saturday either because ofCFB...

Its not competing with the NFL. My job is handling the ticket sales for the UFL and its basically supposed to act as a minor league with the NFL (like NFLEurope was). Games will be on Thursday or Friday nights and the the games will start in either September and October and run up till Thanksgiving. I dont havemuch faith in it though because these teams are supposed to have 2 home fields. Like the NY team is playing at Giant Stadium and UConn's stadium whichmakes no sense imo.

Vick being in that league will definitely draw interest...it might be good for him though to just prove to people he can still play, and then join the NFL nextyear.

Originally Posted by acidicality

Vick being in that league will definitely draw interest...it might be good for him though to just prove to people he can still play, and then join the NFL next year.
Exactly......dude should get back into game shape and sharpen his skills in the UFL before even thinking about jumping back into the NFL.

Originally Posted by JPZx

What stations are going to air the games?
Versus

important dates:

July 2009 - UFL Player Signings

September 1, 2009 - Training Camp Begins in Casa Grande, Arizona

October 2009 - "UFL Premiere" Season Begins

November 12, 2009 - "UFL Premiere" Regular Season Concludes

Thanksgiving Weekend 2009 - Championship Game in Las Vegas (tentatively scheduled)

more info:

http://www.ufl-football.com/home

I honestly don't see how this can prosper. The only way with 4 teams would be making it more regional.

Vegas, San Fran, Orlando, NY? Like if it's only four teams it should look something like

NY
PHI/BAL/DC
ATL
TB/ORL

The travel costs alone are gonna bankrupt this !#@@.

That's interesting. Another football team in SF? I bet you ATT Park opens up to help with the cost of the lease. I don't think any of the Niners Brasswould want another team on their field...

Originally Posted by LiveMyReality

That's interesting. Another football team in SF? I bet you ATT Park opens up to help with the cost of the lease. I don't think any of the Niners Brass would want another team on their field...

Yea in the link i posted, it said they could play in AT&T park or in Stanford

Oh this is the league that Mark Cuban wanted to own a team in..
I have no idea what to think man.. What are the rules? Any changes? XFL gimmicks?

Originally Posted by dyyhard

Is Bryant Gumbel calling their games?

I'll NEVER watch a game if he does
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom