New Orleans Saints engaged in bounty program ... UPDATE 9/7: Saints Players Win Appeal!!! Will play

jpzx

Supporter
2009 Saints*

@AdamSchefter: A safe prediction: Saints will be disciplined far worse than the Patriots were for Spygate.

[h1] [/h1]
[h1]NFL: Saints defense had 'bounty' fund[/h1]By Adam Schefter
ESPN
Archive
Between 22 and 27 defensive players on the New Orleans Saints, as well as defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, maintained a "bounty" program funded primarily by players in violation of NFL rules during the 2009, 2010 and 2011 seasons, the NFL announced Friday.

The investigation by the league's security department determined that an improper "pay for performance" program included "bounty" payments to players for inflicting injuries on opposing players that would result in them being removed from a game.

In some cases, the amounts pledged were both significant and directed against a specific opposing player, according to the league's investigation.

Saints general manager Mickey Loomis failed to stop the bounty program when directed to do so by Saints owner Tom Benson, while coach Sean Payton was aware of the allegations but did not pursue them or take steps to stop the "bounty" program, according to the investigation's findings.

The findings, corroborated by multiple independent sources, have been presented to commissioner Roger Goodell, who will determine the appropriate discipline.

"It is our responsibility to protect player safety and the integrity of our game, and this type of conduct will not be tolerated," Goodell said in a statement.

"We have made significant progress in changing the culture with respect to player safety and we are not going to relent. We have more work to do and we will do it."

Goodell has advised the Saints that he will hold proceedings to determine potential discipline against the team and the individuals involved, and confer with the players' union regarding the approriate punishment. That discipline could include fines, suspensions and the forfeiture of draft choices.

"I have been made aware of the NFL's findings relative to the 'Bounty Rule' and how it relates to our club. I have offered and the NFL has received our full cooperation in their investigation," Benson said in a statement. "While the findings may be troubling, we look forward to putting this behind us and winning more championships in the future for our fans."

Williams did not immediately return calls from ESPN seeking comment.

According to the investigation, the players regularly contributed cash into a pool and received improper cash payments of two kinds from the pool, based on their play in the previous week's game.

Williams adminstered the program with the knowledge of other defensive coaches and occasionally contributed funds, according to the league investigation.

Payments were made for plays such as interceptions and fumble recoveries. But the program also included "bounty" payments for "cart-offs," meaning that the opposing player was carried off the field, and "knockouts," meaning that the opposing player was not able to return.

The investigation showed that the total amount of funds in the pool may have reached $50,000 or more at its height during the 2009 playoffs. The program paid players $1,500 for a "knockout" and $1,000 for a "cart-off," with payouts doubling or tripling during the playoffs.

"The payments here are particularly troubling because they involved not just payments for 'performance,' but also for injuring opposing players," Goodell said. "The bounty rule promotes two key elements of NFL football: player safety and competitive integrity."

The NFL has a longstanding rule prohibiting "non-contract bonuses," and they violate both the league constitution and bylaws and the Collective Bargaining Agreement with the players' union.

Clubs are advised every year of this rule in a memo from the commissioner. Citing Sections 9.1(C)(
glasses.gif
, and 9.3(F) and (G) of the Constitution and By-Laws, the memo for the 2011 season stated:

"No bonus or award may directly or indirectly be offered, promised, announced, or paid to a player for his or his team's performance against a particular team or opposing player or a particular group thereof. No bonuses or awards may be offered or paid for on field misconduct (for example, personal fouls to or injuries inflicted on opposing players)."

According to the NFL, Benson was not initially aware of the bounty program and directed Loomis to make sure it was discontinued immediately. "The evidence showed that Mr. Loomis did not carry out Mr. Benson's directions," according to the league's investigation.

"Similarly, when the initial allegations were discussed with Mr. Loomis in 2010, he denied any knowledge of a bounty program and pledged that he would ensure that no such program was in place. There is no evidence that Mr. Loomis took any effective action to stop these practices," according to the investigation.

Adam Schefter is an ESPN NFL Insider.

Link
nfl_ap_favre_saints1_400-1.jpg

favreanklex-large.jpg

Yeah, I'm salty.

Last edited:
How is that asterisk related? This is the goddamn NFL people. Hits like that used to be the norm. And like I said in the offseason thread, it worked.

haha @ the 2nd comment

"From the way the defense played, I'm assuming many of the players didnt receive any money."

How in the blue hell does this put an asterisk on what they accomplished? This wasn't cheating, it all played out on the field.

I would love if the Cowboys soft !+% defense did something like this low-key
laugh.gif

Yeh Im hip, they basically knocked Kurt Warner into retirement with a cheap shot.

Yall know this kinda stuff goes on all over the league right? He's just the latest to get caught

This wasn't cheating, it all played out on the field.

It violated the "non-contract bonuses" rule. What a joke. Were the hits illegal?

I can understand though why JPZx wants an asterisk though. Cuz they smashed Favre's old %!#
laugh.gif

Well damn.
eek.gif
30t6p3b.gif

I'm still salty about them beating my son in the SuperBowl.
mad.gif
30t6p3b.gif
tired.gif

This used to be the norm and probably still is but it's kept quiet. Buddy Ryan loves this

Waits for Deadset to say that spygate is similar in how all teams do it, normally just kept quiet

Just kidding man

Originally Posted by PauliePeppas

Happens all over the league but the saints will be made an example of
Yup, and even if they are penalized teams will STILL do #$!% like this.
The reason people even watch the NFL is to see the hard hits.....my favorite playoff game the past few years had to be the Titans/Ravens a few years back.
eek.gif
pimp.gif

Going to cost the Saints some draft picks, and they are already without a first rounder. 
sick.gif

What I really wanna know is how much Jimmy Graham got for takin out his own coach. 
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

They intentionally hurt Ted Ginn Jr.!

Had he been healthy, he would've played in the NFC Championship Game. Kyle Williams would've never played, thus avoiding two costly turnovers.

We would've beat the Giants.

And the Lombardi Trophy would've been on its way back to San Francisco.

mzi.esztuhqc.png

Back
Top Bottom