New to LA (Westwood).. help me with Barbers, balling spots, bars, etc.

Whattup everybody.. I just moved to Westwood and I need help finding a good barbershop.. I usually get a bald taper..

Also what are good spots to ball at? indoor and outdoors... I prefer indoors though

Also what are cool bars to hit up? i know ucla is nearby.. so is santa monica..

anything else you wanna tell me about the area would be appreciated !

thanks !!!

hey bud, hopefully i can help even though i am a borderline geriatric loser.

As far as westwood proper, I hardly if ever make it into westwood cause i dont have the patience. No patience for the mind numbing traffic and younger collegecrowd. if you venture out of westwood a little bit there are a buncha decent spots to grab a bite or drink at. One place you have to go to if youre a sandwichguy is Bay Cities Deli in Santa Monica over on Lincoln and Broadway. Order a large Godmother w/ The Works + Mild Peppers and you can thank me later.

Food - if youre into asian food (in particular japanese) there are a buncha japanese spots right down the street on Sawtelle. It is like a little japan area.There is also a Black Market (higher end japaneseish streetwear store) and shoe store of some type right there too if you want to get some expensive duds.

Booze - my go to joint is The Parlor in Santa Monica. From Westwood you just head West on Wilshire for about 3-4 miles. Its a nicer sports bar with a bunchaflatscreens all over the joint to catch pretty much any game that is being shown. Crowd wise its predominantly young professionals 25-35 crowd with a bit ofthe college crowd mixed in. Happy Hour M-F from 4-8 (i believe) with $3 pints on tap and $1.50 gourmet sliders makes for a cheap pre-game drinking spot onFriday. The servers/waitresses there are mostly younger good lookin girls, although there are some exceptions to the rule. Overall I'd say its a decent togood looking crowd except when I am there and I bring the ugly factor up a couple notches.

Another bar I frequent regularly is The Arsenal over on Pico and Bundy. This is not what you would call a "hot hollywood" spot by any means. This iswhere I usually end up after doing some Happy Hour drinking at the Parlor. The crowd varies depending on night. Sometimes I cruise in and its a ghost town, andthe place is dead (even on a weekend). Other times the place is poppin and the paltry dance floor area is jammed up shoulder to shoulder. I would say it is avery well mixed crowd, equal parts black, white, asian, mexican, about as diverse as you can get. The drinks are stiff and fairly priced. It is the antithesisof the $8/beer or $14 cocktail you might find in Hollywood. If you just lookin for a no frills place to get moderately priced booze, dance a bit, and spit gameat drunk chicks then this is for you.

If I am feeling like I want to relive my youth and pretend like I just graduated from college I might stay closer to home and hit up Cabo Cantina or Q's.Cabo and Q's are right next door to each other (well just about) and is right down the street from Westwood. Just take Wilshire West over the 405Fwy andits right past Barrington. Both tend to have a more college-esque feel to it but also has a good smattering of young professionals too. Cabo I feel is a bit"livelier" but if you wanna go shoot some pool and chill you can head over to Q's.

Hoop - Cant help you there. I borderline suck at ball myself but enjoy playing and I havent been able to find a regular game to run in. At the local parks youwill see a lot of short mexican dudes running up and down the court playing some version of basketball. When I do try to get out and play I will usually hit upthis park on Cloverfield and Pico (I think its called Cloverfield Park) but the runs there are sub par. Usually there is 1 court of whites/asians who run upand down but have no sense of bball fundamentals. The other game is usually the brothas and the comp is hit or miss (I dont make it out often enough to get agood read on how the comp is on the regular). The other park I will sometimes roll to is right near the SM Airport and Penmar Golf Course but those games arepredominantly made up of the short mexicans and/or asian/whites who just play jungleball because they have no sense of bball fundamentals. I dont know what therestrictions are but you may look into running at UCLA. I dont know if its only open to students or if its a free run but might wanna check out Mens Gym there.

Can't help you with the barber thing. I'm an old asian guy losing my hair so I dont really have a need for a barber hahaha.

good luck and welcome to the neighborhood

Hey bro Ive lived in Weswood for the past 4 years...As far as barbers go, good luck. i dont even bother, just take a trip to the hood or century city for agood taper. basketball at UCLA is awesome. if youre legit you can play with the big boys at Pauley or Wooden Center, but getting in isnt easy unless u knowpeople. Food spots are pretty legit in Westood just walk around the village and you'll find something good. are you attending UCLA? thats all i got fornow.

Booze - my go to joint is The Parlor in Santa Monica. From Westwood you just head West on Wilshire for about 3-4 miles. Its a nicer sports bar with a buncha flatscreens all over the joint to catch pretty much any game that is being shown. Crowd wise its predominantly young professionals 25-35 crowd with a bit of the college crowd mixed in. Happy Hour M-F from 4-8 (i believe) with $3 pints on tap and $1.50 gourmet sliders makes for a cheap pre-game drinking spot on Friday. The servers/waitresses there are mostly younger good lookin girls, although there are some exceptions to the rule. Overall I'd say its a decent to good looking crowd except when I am there and I bring the ugly factor up a couple notches.

The Parlor also has a beer pong tournament Wednesday nights, $20/team, single-elimination with cash prizes to the top 3 teams.

Hoop - Cant help you there. I borderline suck at ball myself but enjoy playing and I havent been able to find a regular game to run in. At the local parks you will see a lot of short mexican dudes running up and down the court playing some version of basketball. When I do try to get out and play I will usually hit up this park on Cloverfield and Pico (I think its called Cloverfield Park) but the runs there are sub par. Usually there is 1 court of whites/asians who run up and down but have no sense of bball fundamentals. The other game is usually the brothas and the comp is hit or miss (I dont make it out often enough to get a good read on how the comp is on the regular).

laugh.gif
I play over there all the time and you described the courts pretty well. Sometimes it'll be completely empty and sometimes a wait to run full, but thecourts are in fairly good shape and close to Bay Cities for that post-game Godmother

AJL... Whats a good barbershop in century city? im getting desperate.. where im at.. all the "barbershops" are older hispanic men lol

yo what kinda of barber are you looking for?

there's this good black barber on pico and spaulding at some shop called WestSide cuts. the barber name is Mando. clean cut all around.

there's this good hispanic barber call Ray that works on western and venice but he's about to open his own shop in the next month or so across thestreet.

pm me and ill give u more info if ur interested.

For siKK tapers go to oskar's barbershop on La brea (in between the 10fwy and Washington) about 10 mins east of westwood.

how much do these barbershops cost? if you want my homie can hook you up at ucla for $5
laugh.gif

Westwood bars = good for looking at college girls. But there are only 2 spots: O'Sheas and Westwood Brew Co. You'll get a better bar experince downSanta Monica/Venice. I remember AC Lounge being nice.

for basketball go to westwood recreation center.
its at sepulveda and ohio st or something like that
nice indoor gym

^ do they have open runs at the rec center? do you have to pay to get in or just show up? does it get pretty busy?

^Only certain days/times. Check or call to find out.

It can get a little crowded at the peak, but you can usually get in runs without waiting too long. I've seen longer waits at other parks for just outdoorplay, so it's not bad at all. There are two courts so that helps. I miss that spot.

Back
Top Bottom