[[ NEW YORK METS 2009 OFFSEASON POST: Beltran ahead of schedule ]]

I was shocked when Mets made a deal with their rivalry team, Braves. My friend sent me a text message about the Church trade. I thought he was joking. I hardlybelieve what I saw. I like Jeff Francoeur even though he has played awful recently.

I don't think Mets got robbed. Please correct me if I am wrong. I remember Francoeur won a gold glove award. He had many assists since he came into theleague. We know his defense is great.. His speed is way better than Church. Citifield is an extreme pitchers' park. We probably need Francoeur's speedmore than Church. Francoeur definitely needs to improve his plate discipline a lot. Well, I believe he can solve his problems.. He's only 24 or 25. Theonly thing I know is that he's younger than Ryan Church. I still have faith in Mets..

His arm is good but so is Churchs'. Speed has nothing at all to do with it, he may have a step or two on Church but since 06 he's had 14 SB's andChurch had 17 so take that for what it's worth. Church is a good hitter with decent power. Francoeur swings for the fences on every swing he takes.Pitchers have him pegged already. He's a very watered down, undisciplined version of Vlad. Him and Chris Davis have the same problem only difference isthat Davis strikes out a lot more but that doesn't mean he's less/more disciplined that Jeff F, they're both terrible IMO. Maybe he turns it aroundbut I doubt it. If he does, I can eat crow and give him his props.

Church has shown ZERO power this year and he gets hurt too often.

At least Franc is younger and has some potential (his plate discipline has come a long way), as Church is what he is.

Its a change of scenery trade.

^ Eh.

Gotta see this change of scenery affect his number in a positive way before I'd sway my opinion on him.

Just to put things in perspective.....

- First time the Mets are 5 games under .500 since April 2005

- Mets are now 19-30 since winning the first 3 games @ San Fran. Average runs scored per game over that span? 3.53. Toput that in perspective, the Padres are the worst offensive team in baseball this season and they've averaged 3.76 runs per game

Since April 2005? Wow, that's bad.. I hope Mets pull a miracle run next two months..

Originally Posted by SHUGES

I was chatting with my boys today (one a Met fan and the other a Yankee fan) and they both said Reyes needs to go. I disagreed... But their arguments were VERY convincing. What do you guys think? Should we get rid of Jose Reyes??
I've thought about it, but the fact is when he first came up he brought so much energy and the Mets went on a roll. Then he got hurt and theMets went back to obscurity. This year it's basically the same thing (before Beltran went down). Reyes' energy is too important to let go.

Reyes can frustrate you at times since he's very streaky, but he just came off a 200 hit season and bats over .300 seemingly every season......he isinstant offense when he's on base.

he would be the leadoff hitter on every single Major League club, he along with David and Tron are here to stay.

I'm trade him if we could get extra value. This team's core needs a shakiogn up. But we would need a power hitter or a front line starter.

I mean, the core is 3 guys....beltran, david and Reyes.....why change that?

You build around that.....in a SMART way.

You need some power in the corner outfield spots and/or 1st base.

sick.gif
@ Bruce' wrist.

I can't even get mad that we don't run anymore. Whenever somebody gets on base, it's usually someone with little speed. And if they have decentenough speed you can't hit and run with them because the guy batting (unless Mr. Doubleplay Tatis) strikes or flies out.

Get well jay Bruce, tough replay to watch.

Players like him that put their body on the line are always appreciated.

What do y'all think about going after Jack Wilson? He's batting .270 and he's a pretty consistent player that plays good defense. It would moveCora back to the bench where he's better suited and it gives Castillo some time off since Jerry doesn't have to use Argenis Reyes to replace him.It's a stopgap trade that shouldn't cost much to get him since he's a free agent after this year.

Back
Top Bottom