NEW YORK METS 2016 SEASON THREAD

Former Mets owner Nelson Doubleday dies at 81
15h - MLB New York Mets

Former New York Mets owner Nelson Doubleday has died, the team confirmed in a statement. He was 81.

Doubleday died on Wednesday of pneumonia, his son-in-law John Havens told The New York Times.

"We were saddened to hear the news of the passing of Nelson Doubleday Jr.," the Mets announced. "Nelson had a love of baseball and the Mets. On behalf of everyone at the organization, we send our condolences and sympathies to his family."

Renowned Met Keith Hernandez remembered Doubleday on SNY's Wednesday broadcast.

"His life is to be celebrated. He was a wonderful man. He had a wonderful life," Hernandez said.

Ex-pitcher Ron Darling, also a Mets broadcaster, said: "It's a big loss for Keith and I. A guy that we looked up to."

Doubleday, whose family built a publishing empire, purchased the Mets in 1980. He was bought out of his share by co-owner Fred Wilpon in 2002 in what became an acrimonious divorce. Doubleday claimed at the time that an arbitrator undervalued the team, reducing his payout.

May his soul rest in peace.

View media item 1588226

wright's never coming back the same player. this team really needs to move forward thinking he's done for his career instead of holding out hope he magically returns to 2006 form. you gotta find a way to dump cuddyer and grandson's contracts and you gotta trade our only chips for young position players who may have a chance to develop. trade murphy, colon and niese at the deadline, see which prospects you can get and move on. this is a team with an 82 win ceiling. you have pathetic defenders littered across the field, guys that consistently have poor at bats wasting money, you gotta do the smart thing and shed salary asap. it'll only get worse.

wright's never coming back the same player. this team really needs to move forward thinking he's done for his career instead of holding out hope he magically returns to 2006 form. you gotta find a way to dump cuddyer and grandson's contracts and you gotta trade our only chips for young position players who may have a chance to develop. trade murphy, colon and niese at the deadline, see which prospects you can get and move on. this is a team with an 82 win ceiling. you have pathetic defenders littered across the field, guys that consistently have poor at bats wasting money, you gotta do the smart thing and shed salary asap. it'll only get worse.

I agree with all of this. D Wright has never returned to his 2006 form and now with this injury, that will never happen.

And colon has been great but it wont last, trade while hes hot.

Slumping Mets need a lineup upgrade

If you were to draw up a top-10 list of the worst trades in recent memory, the Mets' deals of July 30, 2004, would probably deserve a mention somewhere near the summit. That was the day the team traded a hard-throwing young left-hander named Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano and also dealt a package of players -- including an unheralded infielder named Jose Bautista, who would take a lot more time to blossom -- for Kris Benson.

Those deals turned out very badly for the Mets, and the timing of them was especially strange, because at the moment of consummation, the Mets were six games out of first place in the NL East, and by the time Zambrano and Benson actually wore Mets uniforms, New York was nine games out of first. The Mets' final record of 71-91 underscored the folly of those decisions.

The Mets are in a much better place in the standings now, sitting 3½ games behind the Nationals in the NL East and 4½ games out in the wild-card race with 89 games to play, and the team's leadership needs to do something to reinforce an offense that has devolved from April's functionality to the repeated failures of May and June. The Mets held a team meeting Wednesday -- something different, Tim Rohan writes -- and then had the same result, losing their seventh straight game.

Even the most irrational Mets fan doesn't expect the front office to land a star player right now, in what is the seller's portion of the trade market. Nobody is suggesting they offer up Jacob deGrom for a lineup upgrade. Nobody is suggesting a reprise of the Victor Zambrano and Kris Benson Hail Mary, and if general manager Sandy Alderson is the driving force behind the decisions over the next 36 days, he's not the sort to get bullied by public expectation into making a rash deal.

But what the Mets shouldn't do -- what they cannot do -- is run out the same weakened lineup day after day after day without any external additions and expect to be able to reasonably say at season's end, "Well, we just weren't good enough."

The Mets' leadership needs to make a better effort than that.

Mets manager Terry Collins won't blame the Mets' front office for its inaction, Adam Rubin writes. Wilmer Flores could be shifted to second base.

The pressure is mounting on Alderson to make a trade, John Harper writes.

I 100% want them to shed salary and firesale rather than be rash and get some scrub vet bat.

If they had balls, they'd make a push for a big time young hitter and just sign Price and Upton in the offseason to make this a world series team but we know the Wilpons dont have money balls or a desire to win.

i trust sandy will do what's best for the team, short/long term.  with this stable of pitchers, if they keep performing and improving, will be a lot easier to justify spending for bats

i have 0 reason to trust sandy.

he inherited matz, harvey and degrom. he went out and got wheeler, thor and d'arnaud, great jobs there. then he signed grandy and cuddyer which were god awful ideas. he's done nothing to improve the offense. farm system is still barren. this team is doomed. if these pitchers, whom all have had tommy john surgery except thor and matz, get hurt again. bye bye birdy.

they didn't take on long term contracts for huge amounts of money.  think grandy dea is up this year and cuddyer is on 1 yr deal.  they didn't know what thye had in their pitching and now that we have a bigger sample size, he could make moves accordingly.  mets aren't winning it all this year but still  have to  field a passable lineup without spending any money.

i would love to see a complete rebuild of the lineup as well minus duda, lagares and maybe flores, as crazy as that sounds, only cause he's cheap and shown he could hit some.

Grandy is making 16 million plus till 2017. Cuddyer is making 8.5 million to ground into game ending double plays and contribute atrocious defense. He's signed to 2016. These are guys past their prime who will only get worse throughout their contracts.

oh wow, thought grandy was done after this year.  hold up, they signed him to 4 yrs?! holy **** i was off. take back what i said about sandy haha.

There's a rumor that Mets plan to call up Steven Matz today.

I will post it later when it's confirmed.

degrom is so nasty.

been hearing the matz news as well.  i'll take the low scoring games all day.  soon, the win/losses will even out, hopefully in the mets favor.  also means the pitching is really good.

Looks like Alderson is trying to make a trade to make a room for Matz.

Either Colon or Niese will get traded.

And we're back to the 6 man rotation unless a trade goes down or mets luck then colon or niese go on waivers like gee. But either of those dudes would get picked up.

Last edited:
Adam Rubin ‏@AdamRubinESPN · 12h12 hours ago
Steven Matz is expected to start Sunday for the #Mets against the #Reds in the Long Island native's major league debut.

It's a shame that I won't be around in NYC this weekend. I will be in Ohio.

Good luck to Matz.

This is such a Wilpon move. They know the fans are angry and desperate so they call up their best prospect instead of making a move. Great idea in theory except he doesn't fix any of the holes the mets have. Colon or niese better be traded ASAP.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom