New York Yankees Official Thread - vs Mets; 60-42 - Let’s Make a Deal

I hope fangraphs or someone does a breakdown of where it went bad. I'm so over good players turning to **** when we get them. Dude was elite the last two years. It's just expected it goes bad at this point. That says something is wrong in the organization, not just the individual player. Idk how we haven't ruined Judge or Cole.

I just think it's easy to say oh that player sucks. But he didn't suck before he got here and several get better after they leave so why do they suck here? That's the issue. It's a common theme at this point and it needs to change.

I've seen enuff guys **** the bed here, i believe it.

Organization ain't sellin me anything, i see with my own eyes guys having pretty good careers and come here to fade away.

I've seen enuff guys **** the bed here, i believe it.

Organization ain't sellin me anything, i see with my own eyes guys having pretty good careers and come here to fade away.
And then go elsewhere and rebound. I don't buy the pressure thing, it's coaching and approach to the game imo. The pressure angle is just an easy out to avoid putting blame on the organization and staff. It's on them to build an atmosphere that players can thrive and that's not happening. We're the only organization in sports that uses "Well they just can't handle the pressure of playing for us!" as an excuse and it's ********.

I don’t need every pitcher to be Gerrit Cole. Because who could, man is a stud.

But would really like them to hit more on their intentional trades / free agent plays for starting pitching.

Since 2009, on the starting side, only CC Sabathia, Hiroki Kuroda, Masahiro Tanaka, Gerrit Cole have worked out for more than a year as a free agent or trade. Everything else has been levels of disaster, or give one year and fall off the face of the earth to re-emerge significantly better on another team.

Whereas someone like Nestor, worked out basically by accident of other malfunction of the starting rotation.

I don’t need every pitcher to be Gerrit Cole. Because who could, man is a stud.

But would really like them to hit more on their intentional trades / free agent plays for starting pitching.

Since 2009, on the starting side, only CC Sabathia, Hiroki Kuroda, Masahiro Tanaka, Gerrit Cole have worked out for more than a year as a free agent or trade. Everything else has been levels of disaster, or give one year and fall off the face of the earth to re-emerge significantly better on another team.

Whereas someone like Nestor, worked out basically by accident of other malfunction of the starting rotation.
This made me think of JA Happ for $17m a year and now I'm sad.

It’s why I never trust the “Oh we have Giancarlo, let’s not even talk to Bryce”

They went $17mil for Happ, $13mil for Britton, $12mil for DJ and $9mil for Ottavino

Even if you just used Happ and DJ’s deals it matched Bryce AAV. Hal sold everybody beans

There’s no way the Yanks sign all these big money players and tell every single one “we understand you were great for the last 2 years but we want you to change what made you great” just doesn’t make sense. When said players performed before they got here most were coming from low/no pressure situations and when they leave here they go back to low/no pressure situations. Stress breaks athletes too, sorry to say but athletes are human too. Plenty of athletes have said they tried too hard here and pressure have gotten to them.

There’s no way the Yanks sign all these big money players and tell every single one “we understand you were great for the last 2 years but we want you to change what made you great” just doesn’t make sense.
But we have players like Sonny Gray that have said we do exactly that. Look at Cole going from Pittsburgh to Houston. They changed his pitch selection and went from a solid SP to a HOF SP.

Gray is the only one we know of though. He actually spoke on it. Haven’t really heard anyone else say anything about it.

But we have players like Sonny Gray that have said we do exactly that. Look at Cole going from Pittsburgh to Houston. They changed his pitch selection and went from a solid SP to a HOF SP.
I know about Sonny but he was the only one, none of the other big name pitchers or hitters really said anything.

Yes Houston changed Cole for the better, totally different because Cole’s last season with Pittsburgh wasn’t that good and the year before he was just decent but nowhere near the pitcher he is today. Cole’s time in Pittsburgh warranted changes.

But I guarantee if Cole put up Astro numbers in Pittsburgh and was then traded to the Astros the Astros probably wouldn’t have changed anything

If we were to get Juan Soto and he started Struggling here do you really think it would be because we changed the way his approach to the plate or because of the added pressure/trying too hard living up to a contract in this fanbase with WS or bust expectations and or just regular slump?

But pressure here don’t get to athletes? Gallo

The Yankees traded Gallo — who was hitting .159 with just 12 home runs this season — to the Dodgers on Tuesday for pitching prospect Clayton Beeter. It was a move that Gallo knew was coming, and a recent interview with nj.com summed up just how much he struggled with the pressure of underperforming in New York.

He said after admitting that he avoided going out in public:

Yeah, I think feel like people are a little sick of me here, so I don’t really know what else I can do at this point here. I haven’t played well, so I think it’ll help me to move on.
He also said that opposing players used to reach out to him after Yankees fans booed him, which in turn made him feel worse about himself.

I don’t want to say names. Kansas City guys reached out to me over the weekend. A bunch of guys. It makes me feel like a piece of s**t, honestly. I remember playing here with the Rangers, watching [Yankees] get booed off the field and thinking, ‘Holy s**t! I feel bad for that guy.’ Now it’s me. I do appreciate people reaching out, but it makes me feel like I’m a problem.

But pressure here don’t get to athletes? Gallo

The Yankees traded Gallo — who was hitting .159 with just 12 home runs this season — to the Dodgers on Tuesday for pitching prospect Clayton Beeter. It was a move that Gallo knew was coming, and a recent interview with nj.com summed up just how much he struggled with the pressure of underperforming in New York.

He said after admitting that he avoided going out in public:

He also said that opposing players used to reach out to him after Yankees fans booed him, which in turn made him feel worse about himself.
That was AFTER he was terrible. He didn't say he performed terrible bc if the pressure. He admitted he'd been terrible and people were over him.

Really not trying to spend my entire day arguing this. Again, we're the only franchise in sports that uses that as an excuse. You don't see the Lakers or Cowboys using it. It's a ******** excuse to cover for the organization not putting players in a position to succeed. It's deflection.

That was AFTER he was terrible. He didn't say he performed terrible bc if the pressure. He admitted he'd been terrible and people were over him.
He hit a bad slump and the fans and pressure was getting to him so he couldn’t shake the slump, pretty simple.

Back
Top Bottom