NewsFlash!!!! Jordan Wasn't Perfect

NEWSFLASH!!!!!!! Nobody's perfect. He is under more scrutiny because of who he is. Now would you receive that kind of attention if you did those samethings?

Originally Posted by KAPSI1911

Jordan's article in the new ESPN the MAgazine was a bunch of hogwash. Yes he is THE BEST player in NBA history and it is highly doubtful we'll see another star like him in our lifetime BUT..... Dude came off as extremely self-righteous in his that article, and since it's MJ most of y'all are taking him word for word. He's taking thinly veiled swipes at Lebron and some of the leauge's other young superstars. He tried to act like the gambling was a small matter. BS, dude was dealing with the mob, philandering like it was a second job, and other not so honorable things. So far none of the other young superstars have exhibited that type of behavior (or at least been caught).

Forget all this nonsense about how the leaugue is marketing their young stars...it's a business people, and as long as they are keeping their noses clean who freakin cares.
I understand where your coming from, but I disagree. Jordan didnt come off arrogant, or anything close. He said the truth. The league didnt come outand immediatley threw them as their poster boy. When he first game in the association, Magic and Bird were still going at it. The league used these people asthe face of the league. Then, when the time came, the torch was passed to Mike.

The way the system is now, is if you have hype when you get into college, you are deemed the poster boy. When Lebron came into the league, he was declared asthe next MJ. You see guys like Chris Paul, Carmelo, Wade, all get compared to greats right after they are drafted. What Mike is saying, is that the NBA isdoing this the wrong way. They should be using players that have already proven themselves as great players (example Kobe, Kidd, Garnett, Duncan, etc), and gowith that. Then, when the time comes, pass the torch.

The Media doesnt help with this situation either. When players are thrown around saying they are the next great in the NBA, it hurts the NBA image. Therereally isnt much else you can say by the media. They get so involved with who the poster boy is, the rumor mill, etc, that the NBA has a hard time generatingits own "pure" image.

Here is what I had in the other thread:
But he has it all right. We are all trying to force the NBA image on these young guys. Wade, Lebron, Carmelo, Roy, Paul, all these guys are becoming the face of the NBA. But at the same time, you have proven players out there that can be marketed just as well, if not, better, examples being Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash, Jason Kidd, etc. Not saying that the former mentioned arent as good, but they bring this "young" personality to the game. At times, they come off as "raw". Not from a hating standpoint, but we label many of these players are the "next". Who is the next? He plays exactly like *insert player here*. Why not use these guys saying he will be the first. Here is the first Lebron James, just like there was the first Jordan.

it is essential that the NBA creates its own new image. To quit saying "This guy is the next Jordan". Because before Jordan, there was no "Jordan" to compare to.

The media doesnt help with this situation either. They label players faster than a cheetah could run two meters. When you have to compete with the media, as to who the poster boy is, its tough to give your league a good image to reflect the association OVERALL.

Now, I think these players have dealt with these things tremendously. Lebron has been as professional as you could ask, Carmelo is up and coming, Chris Paul knows he will be used as the poster boy for years, and looks to be accepting of that. The NBA is using very young, but smart people. Its not like they are picking the Kwame Brown's to be the NBA poster boy. They are using these up and and coming players as their target, to get other people to pay attention. But they are doing it in the wrong way. They say, "He is the next Jordan; He passes like Magic Johnson; He is the next Shaq; etc." But why not create an image that these guys are the first. There will never be another player like Lebron James. There will never be another player like Chris Paul. There will never be another player like Carmelo Anthony. Everything is based off of comparison to another player from the past, which already puts the league at a negative starting point.

And the link to that thread with the article:

http://niketalk.com/topic/47403

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again
in my life. And that is why I succeed."

Yo are there any videos on youtube or anything of him missing game-winning shots?

I don't recall him missing many shots or at least they don't show them

Yo are there any videos on youtube or anything of him missing game-winning shots?

he definitely did. i'm almost certain he missed a game-winner against the Jazz in 98, but of course they still won the series. and i can remember at least3-4 gamewinners he missed in the playoffs. not all of them cost the Bulls the game though, for some the score was tied.

Definitely never heard of the quote "Nobody's perfect".
Go to library and borrow some to read.

Jordan isn't perfect, but he will always be the closest one to be perfect as a baskeball player.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

kids...

I feel bad for the thread starter. It's obvious you're not a Jordan fan, and like most non-Jordan fans, are looking for a reason to kick some dirt onthe legacy he has.

The idea that Michael Jordan, the person, is perfect, does not cross the mind of 99% of the people who admire his skills as on the basketball court. What hedid for the game of basketball will probably never be duplicated. That was the point of the article. He is far from a perfect person, but when it comes to a"perfect/complete" basketball player, he's probably the closest thing you'll ever see.

He was not taking "shots" at LeBron/Carmelo. If anything, he accredited those young men, and young men like them, such as KG for coming into theleague and being able to not only make an impact, but handle themselves as professionals.

What he said makes sense. For every LeBron, there are 50 Jonathan Benders. Talent doesn't take you 100% of the way in the NBA as a young man. Part of thejourney is being a man, being a professional.

People like to bring up the gambling and the affairs Jordan had, and Jordan-fans like to ignore them for the most part (I, myself, have been a Jordan fan sinceI was 6 years old, watching the 91 finals). While I can't excuse the affairs he had, I think the gambling thing is blown out of proportion, and people whoare anti-Jordan just like to say "Gambling = bad". To think Michael Jordan ever owed any substantial amount of money to the mafia over gambling debtsis ridiculous. Charles Barkley said it best when he made the comment that he can gamble with 5-6 figures worth of money and lose because he's that rich andit's a luxury he's earned. The average working man cannot do that, and also, cannot comprehend how it's possible for someone to lose $XX,XXX onpoker because he does not look at $25,000 the same way a Michael Jordan or a Charles Barkley does.

No one ever tried to say Michael Jordan was a perfect person. I think those who don't like him spend more time trying to prove he wasn't perfect morethan Jordan fans spend trying to prove he was.

That my friends is jealousy, and is quite frankly just sad.

Back
Top Bottom