Next Up Genetics

Are we creating a bunch of genetically worse off babies than the prior generations?

Just been learning about this and seems like with age of parents continuing to increase and with overall reproductive health of parents being much worse (eg lower sperm counts etc) wonder what the long term impact of this is. Is this why there is so much weakness in children today - genetically soft?

Probably by the time they are adults though we’ll have medical advances that will negate this 100 or so year time block of weakness.

Not that I’m a bio-chemist or anything, but I don’t think genetics works like that. Evolution, even in the slightest change, takes 100,000’s of years. Definitely not generational.

On a different but related note, if there’s anything that can be attributed a decline in health between generations, is likely attributed to diet, not genetics.

Technology and modern medicine has neutralized traditional "natural selection". The rules that apply to other organism cannot easily be applied to the modern human being, especially in the developed world.

if there’s anything that can be attributed a decline in health between generations, is likely attributed to diet, not genetics.

I agree.

I believe that diet will be the next... and last... revolution.

Once humans figure out that food is our fuel... we are all going to fuel and refuel properly... all of the time... and no longer kill ourselves... from the inside out.

how much of the increase in lifespan can be attributed to things like significant medical advances and a less brutal way of life?

how much of the increase in lifespan can be attributed to things like significant medical advances and a less brutal way of life?

All of it. Look at my point about not looking at genetics in humans through the lens of other organisms. People with "bad genes" continue to flourish because of technological and medical advancements......for now. Viruses and other microbes are the only thing at this point coming close to keeping us in check.

I agree.

I believe that diet will be the next... and last... revolution.

Once humans figure out that food is our fuel... we are all going to fuel and refuel properly... all of the time... and no longer kill ourselves... from the inside out.
Mighty high hopes

Out here reading this thread like

1675022153939.gif

Back
Top Bottom