NFL DRAFT PROSPECT FOUND DEAD

[h1]Projected NFL Draft Pick Found Dead[/h1]
AP

Posted: 2008-03-27 17:12:26

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (March 27) - Heath Benedict, a two-time Little All-American offensive lineman from Newberry College in South Carolina, was found dead on a couch in his home.

http://
[h3]Photo Gallery[/h3]

Michael Conroy, AP
[h3]Recent Deaths
In Sports World[/h3]
1 of 17

Heath Benedict, March 26: The offensive lineman, who was projected to be a third-round pick in next month's NFL Draft, is found dead at his home.

Jacksonville police said no foul play is suspected in the death of the 24-year-old Benedict, a 6-foot-6, 326-pounder who finished up his senior season in the fall and left school to train for next month's NFL Draft. He was nine hours short of a business degree.

Benedict took part in the Senior Bowl in January, the first Division II player to do so since 2004, and was invited to last month's NFL combine.

''He was a big, tough man, but he had a very gentle heart,'' Newberry president Mick Zais said. ''He was a teddy bear.''

Benedict, who redshirted at Tennessee in 2002 before moving to Newberry, was a native of the Netherlands. He played high school football at the Peddie School in Hightstown, N.J.

Jacksonville police spokesman Ken Jefferson said Benedict's body was taken to the medical examiner's office to determine the cause of his death. He was found dead Wednesday evening.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

Another sad story in the world of sports
frown.gif

R.I.P.
tired.gif

Wow, that's really sad. In addition to the obvious reasons for sadness caused by death, it sucks for him and his family that it happened before he got togo pro after all the work he put in. And I know his family is probably not thinking about the money, but it blows for his family that he had to go beforegetting that contract.

R.I.P.

I'm curious to see what caused his death.

That stuff is so tragic..It just makes me wonder how he died, because thats my age, and to think that out of nowhere I could just up and die with something Imight not be aware of.

R.I.P.
tired.gif

r.i.p now only this thread popped up? its been on the news since this afternoon.. im suprised this is the first thread..

frown.gif

R.I.P

Hate to see a person whos about to be in a position to take care of his family leave this earth before they get a chance to do so...
tired.gif

Originally Posted by nYcHipHopHippo

Wow, that's really sad. In addition to the obvious reasons for sadness caused by death, it sucks for him and his family that it happened before he got to go pro after all the work he put in. And I know his family is probably not thinking about the money, but it blows for his family that he had to go before getting that contract.

R.I.P.

I'm curious to see what caused his death.

word, that's the most heart breaking part. rip.
smh.gif

damn this is like dying before reaching the top of everest
frown.gif

oh so sad....R.I.P. I hope everything works out for his family R.I.P.

Back
Top Bottom