NFL's new "Marion Barber" rule takes Marion Barber by surprise

By CHAREAN WILLIAMS
cjwilliams@star-telegram.com

IRVING -- It is being called the "Marion Barber Rule", but its namesake doesn't know anything about it.

"What's that? What happened?" Barber asked.

Offensive players using stiff arms to the face of defenders always was against the rules, but officials rarely called it. After watching Barber turn the stiffarm into "a weapon" as one member of the NFL's competition committee put it, the rule has become a point of emphasis for this season.

Officials have been told to throw a flag when an offensive player grabs onto or twists the facemask of a defender -- a 15-yard facemask penalty -- or when heviolently shoves a defender aside with a stiff arm to the face -- a 15-yard hands-to-the-face penalty.

"Then, I'm going to use the elbow," Barber said, jokingly, before adding, "I didn't even know. I'm going to have to read up on it.So you can't stiff arm at all? What about the throat?"
Barber will get his chance to ask officials about the rule during training camp. The Cowboys report to training camp July 24 in Oxnard, Calif.Every NFL team meets with officials before the season to go over any new rules and points of emphasis.

http://www.star-telegram.com/332/story/661470.html

between roy 'horse collar' williams and barber, the boys sure know how to cheapshot other players

11 defenders vs 1 RB who's only method of keeping himself from going down is one arm....I see nothing "cheap" about it. People like Ellis Hobbsand Rodney "HGH" Harrison whined to officials becuz Barber was "throwing punches at them."

all hes doing is throwing his free hand. NFL is soft, as is the NBA

smh.gif

i'm sure it's the least of his worries since he just got PAID this past week...

Ahh but he is not the fastest RB nor is he the shiftiest. So if he can't use that single weapon he has he becomes ineffective, and with non-guaranteedcontracts in the NFL how long do you suspect an inefficient player to continue getting paid? Not very long I presume.

But back to the matter at hand, that is a stupid rule. Flat out. NyRapIsBack nailed it on the head.

Originally Posted by finnns2003

between roy 'horse collar' williams and barber, the boys sure know how to cheapshot other players

laugh.gif
Since when is a stiff arm to the facemask a cheap shot?

Dumb rule because it is in fact the NFL. But I do know from experience it's kinda cheap when the guy is stiff arming your head because you can't getthe rest of your body to him.

Originally Posted by JPZx

Dumb rule because it is in fact the NFL. But I do know from experience it's kinda cheap when the guy is stiff arming your head because you can't get the rest of your body to him.

arm tackling is the problem, if you just drive through the player like you're taught in pee-wee it renders the stiff-arm useless, unless dude is justthat much stronger than you

If you played defense in high school, you were always told to go for the legs, Soo they shouldnt be getting Stiff armed anyway if they were using a realtackling form.

I got stiffed one time and almost broke my neck, but it was my fault cause i went for the ball instead of taking his legs out. (God i miss actually playingTACKLE football, this flag football stuff isnt fulfilling my need to hit somebody)

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Originally Posted by finnns2003

laugh.gif
Since when is a stiff arm to the facemask a cheap shot?

nah not that. grabbing a facemask and dragging someone to the ground, which barber has done...

Wow this rule is stupid.

These is Barbers and LT's and im sure a bunch of other backs best weapon

If a defender can't grab dude and pull his facemask an offensive player shouldn't allowed to either. As for hands to the face, that's a bit iffybut I dunno they call that penalty a lot with offensive lineman so I don't see why players carrying the ball should get a pass. It's not like they areoutlawing the stiff arming

I remember there was a tread about it here a while ago. I still think this rule is ******ed. The offensive player should be allowed to stiff arm. There is amajor difference from pulling the defender down to a stiff arm.

Peep Vince Wilfork in my avatar....Dude is stiff arming without hitting anyone in the face and hes a Dtackle!
pimp.gif

After watching Barber turn the stiff arm into "a weapon" as one member of the NFL's competition committee put it

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Barber wasn't taking their face mask and pulling it to the ground. he was just stiff arming guys to the face to the point where sometimes he was"throwing punches with an open palm" as the whining Cheatriots put it (how ironic eh)

This guy was Punching _'s in the chin/throat all year....Wasn't even really a stiff arm. Its not really gonna effect too many RB's...

BS rule, always make stupid penalties after Cowboys players

Emmitt Smith rule- Cant take your helmet off on the field
Roy Williams horse collar

and now this crap

Originally Posted by dreClark

This guy was Punching _'s in the chin/throat all year....Wasn't even really a stiff arm. Its not really gonna effect too many RB's...

Just let em play!

^^ exactly what I said. Now Barber has to worry about where he stiff arms people beause defenders are a bunch of sissy whining girls. Its ridiculous

Originally Posted by NyRapisBack

11 defenders vs 1 RB who's only method of keeping himself from going down is one arm....I see nothing "cheap" about it. People like Ellis Hobbs and Rodney "HGH" Harrison whined to officials becuz Barber was "throwing punches at them."

all hes doing is throwing his free hand. NFL is soft, as is the NBA

yeah i always say that both of these sports are getting very soft.

NBA lost all of its defensive emphasis and you can not be physical on D any more. Leading to many teas such as the knicks to be soft as a #*+$%%@ pillow. Icant stand it. It started with all of the flopping, i blame the European influence, most of those guys are crazy soft.

And than the NFL is nnot as bad as the NBA but they are getting soft as well. with this rule being made, things are just changing. There is starting to beless and less of those pound the ball and play defense kind of teams because the rules are changing so that the teams that get success are the teams that dontplay D and just air it out, same with the NBA with the no defense fast break teams. Both Stern and Godell know that scoring is more fun to watch and that iswhy both sports are getting soft.

Back
Top Bottom