Nike Air Jordan 1 Retro "UNC" - The Aftermath - NO BUYING/SELLING/TRADING

Excuse my ignorance, but where exactly where the shoes being resold? I don't believe there was much of a resale market for shoes until eBay became popular, so maybe 2001 or 2002? Even then, resale prices were not what they used to be. No classic XII colorway will sell at over $150 over retail. It just didn't happen.
In the mid 90s, "re-selling" was EXTREMELY low-key. There was no Craigslist, no E-Bay, no sneaker websites. Everything was done "on the spot" at the malls or "word of mouth." This was the re-seller market I speak of. 

My family owned a retail clothing business in the late 80s and 90s, we had 5 store fronts and a warehouse. As a college student who worked part-time for our family business, I would use my paychecks to invest in collecting sneakers/Jordans. I would purchase about 10-20 pairs per colorway at retail and then re-sell my pairs at our stores for double the price. My profit would then be re-invested into purchasing more pairs. Nowadays, this type of re-selling is commonplace all over the world.

Re-selling of Air Jordans began a long time ago - since the 90s, even a few of my friends and relatives and others were doing it....it started when J's first began to sell out in a matter of a couple days and supply wasn't able to meet demand. 

Last edited:
Jordan wore longer shorts, but they weren't baggy.
Fab5 was literally saggin
smokin.gif

Shorts came almost to their calfs
laugh.gif
Hence, Jordan started the "longer" shorts trend aka baggy (in late 80s/early 90s standards), and Fab Five started the saggin trend.

In the late 80s, early 90s, if you were playing high school basketball or any sort of organized hoops, apparel companies just didn't manufacture "baggy" or "loose" shorts. Therefore no matter how much we wanted to rock baggy shorts, we just couldn't do it back in '88-'90. This is why for me personally, I rocked those famous Bike brand tight spandex undershorts (just like Mike) underneath the shorts we were given. I would then sag the short shorts to make them look and feel longer. With the sag, my shorts would still be at least 4 inches above my knee but because I was rockin Bike undershorts, my "fit" looked bigger than it really was. 

We continued to do this from 1990-'95. By the mid to late 90s, bigger and baggy was the norm.

College :

Rookie Yr :

Not Sure of Year :

1987 Dunk Contest :

1988 Dunk Contest :

1991 Finals :

From everything I looked at seems MJ didn't start wearing , what I consider baggy, until the 90-91 season. Tried to have photos with other players at the time and they all look pretty much the same length. 91 finals MJs shorts slightly longer Than Magics.

Maybe the fab 5 did or maybe they didn't but I definitely don't think MJ started the baggy shorts.
MJ inspired the "baggy shorts" and even in his commercials with Spike Lee in '89-90, you can hear Spike say "Is it the shoes, is it the longer shorts?"

It took a while before the NBA approved the longer shorts, although MJ was already pushing for it during the late 80s and was starting to make adjustments in the way he wore his shorts during games. I'm sure Jordan was wearing the largest size available at the time.

What the Fab Five did was take it to another level. They were the ones who was rockin' shorts to their knees in '91 and began to really sag them. But the Fab Five were definitely inspired by Jordan.

To illustrate, below are some pics with the Fab Five in '91 and Jordan in 1990-'91. Jordan's shorts were definitely "baggy" for 1990 standards and nobody else in the NBA at the time was rockin' shorts as long and loose as MJ.

Last edited:
On another note, I do think the Fab Five were the ones who may have started the "black socks" trend. I remember in the early 90s, I started rockin' black socks with my Nike Air Force Max "Barkley/Fab Five" during my high school games because I saw the Fab Five do it. 

never knew anyone that paid over retail for joints back in 90s, plus there were a proliferation of discount stores and outlets over here in NJ/NYC that sold Js and Nikes way under retail (new joints and samples)

never knew anyone that paid over retail for joints back in 90s, plus there were a proliferation of discount stores and outlets over here in NJ/NYC that sold Js and Nikes way under retail (new joints and samples)
Being TBF and ish back then a lot of things could be found on sale/clearance. I could look at full retail kicks and roll my eyes. I dont know of any others paying resell prices. If they were paying resell on 'em :smh:

For most anyone could find grails for retail or no more than 50-60 over retail and that would be a hyped shoe (if u could call it that). Things were a lot different. Mainly it's due to people trying to make a quick buck. If it wasn't for that people on nt would help out each other a lot more and really focus on the story and background of a shoe rather than how it looks in a picture

During the olaf's era baggy shorts just OD'd! :rofl: I would see some shorter cats and just think you might as well be wearing pants :tongue:

Last edited:
Absolutely correct. Fab 5 tries to take credit for so many things...baggy shorts, bald heads, really??

Exactly. The Fab 5 didn't start jack or win anything. As I said, the Illinois Illini wore the longer baggier shorts before the overrated Fab 5. Those guys got more press and credit for winning squat. :lol:

Damn AF1K. I'm jelly. my car payment before I paid it off last year was MORE than both your mortgage and car note. Where do you live? I might want to move there...Damn, this Cali life is stressful bruhs. :smh:  

You'd figure with his income and price of his car he would have paid for it in full or paid it off by now and save on interest. No point in keeping a payment if he already has an 800 credit score. Based off of his SN, I think i have some idea where you would be paying 400.00 a month for mortgage.

I'm late but I just read this. I just purchased my house in December of 2013. Caught an AMAZING steal for $40,000. I put down like $16,200. I now owe like $21,000. I'll be paying that off within the next 2 years or so.

You'd figure with his income and price of his car he would have paid for it in full or paid it off by now and save on interest. No point in keeping a payment if he already has an 800 credit score. Based off of his SN, I think i have some idea where you would be paying 400.00 a month for mortgage.

$65k isn't a hell of a lot of money and an 800 credit score buys you (practically) free money with low interest rates.

Sure isn't which is why I'm in school now. Gotta keep pushing...

Right?! Where do you live? $40k cant even get you a run down, 2 bed, 1 bath, 1950s house in the hood whee i'm at.

Back
Top Bottom