NIKE Air Jordan IV OG White Fire Red: Black Friday 2020: Nov. 28th

Sadly, I've never seen 1989 OG Fire Red's in the flesh, but from the pictures I've seen, it's never looked like the shade of fire red used on other models.
air-jordan-4-fire-red-1989-1.jpg

The liner looks closer to fire red, but the midsole, plastic and Nike Air looks like varsity red? Maybe gym red?

I really like it (the fire reds) but I wish there was the same vibrant red as these on the lining especially:
1599821234668.png

They're a living proof that when kicking themselves Nike are still able to offer overcharged colors that almost glow on screen. But I'm still satisfied by the retro.

Sadly, I've never seen 1989 OG Fire Red's in the flesh, but from the pictures I've seen, it's never looked like the shade of fire red used on other models.

The liner looks closer to fire red, but the midsole, plastic and Nike Air looks like varsity red? Maybe gym red?
Yea, you're right, it always looked darker to me. The rubber on the sole always looked like a darker red than that red on the black-cement 4s. But I've never seen an OG in person.

What is the brightest red that was used on OGs? (actual red, not infrared) It was Fire red, right?

Decided to get nitpicky on my phone by highlighting some of the differences between the upcoming release and the OG after they hilariously decided to put them side by side as if the blatant design alterations wouldn't be noticeable.
20200911_110153.jpg
20200911_105907.jpg

In comparison to the OG, the first issue I noticed was the collar shape and how wide they made it, as opposed to the '89 where it's a bit more angled, as if to fit snugly along the curve of your ankle bone. The individual wing stems seem to be about the same thickness from what I can tell. There's a clear height difference between the two shoes, and it shows with how much space is between the wing and the midsole on the '89 and the upcoming '20 release. Nike tab placement is a bit lower on the '20 pair. The toe rand sits noticeably higher on the '89 as there's way more space between the rand and the midsole. Then there's the obvious shape difference and the sleeker, aerodynamic slant on the '89 as opposed to the slightly boxy toe on the '20 pair, though it's still not as bad as the older 4 releases post '99. Certain slopes along the midsole are massively overexaggerated like on the lateral side where the huge hump is in the fire red/tech red and black part of the midsole approaches the toe rand/toe box. On the medial side, the curve of the black part of the midsole are overexaggerated compared to the more subtle curve and slopes of the '89 pair. The toe rand on the '89 connects at the peak of the second midsole slope whereas on the '20 release it clearly doesn't. So yeah pretty much as we're all aware of these are pretty far removed from the OG in terms of detail and they're basically just the '19 black cements but white and with an improved tongue. I had hoped with the treatment the 3s got with the red cement onward, the 4s would follow suit but of course jordan brand gonna jordan brand. However even in spite of all this, I'm going to buy anyway because I love OG colorways and I've never owned an OG colorway 4

Decided to get nitpicky on my phone by highlighting some of the differences between the upcoming release and the OG after they hilariously decided to put them side by side as if the blatant design alterations wouldn't be noticeable.
20200911_110153.jpg
20200911_105907.jpg

In comparison to the OG, the first issue I noticed was the collar shape and how wide they made it, as opposed to the '89 where it's a bit more angled, as if to fit snugly along the curve of your ankle bone. The individual wing stems seem to be about the same thickness from what I can tell. There's a clear height difference between the two shoes, and it shows with how much space is between the wing and the midsole on the '89 and the upcoming '20 release. Nike tab placement is a bit lower on the '20 pair. The toe rand sits noticeably higher on the '89 as there's way more space between the rand and the midsole. Then there's the obvious shape difference and the sleeker, aerodynamic slant on the '89 as opposed to the slightly boxy toe on the '20 pair, though it's still not as bad as the older 4 releases post '99. Certain slopes along the midsole are massively overexaggerated like on the lateral side where the huge hump is in the fire red/tech red and black part of the midsole approaches the toe rand/toe box. On the medial side, the curve of the black part of the midsole are overexaggerated compared to the more subtle curve and slopes of the '89 pair. The toe rand on the '89 connects at the peak of the second midsole slope whereas on the '20 release it clearly doesn't. So yeah pretty much as we're all aware of these are pretty far removed from the OG in terms of detail and they're basically just the '19 black cements but white and with an improved tongue. I had hoped with the treatment the 3s got with the red cement onward, the 4s would follow suit but of course jordan brand gonna jordan brand. However even in spite of all this, I'm going to buy anyway because I love OG colorways and I've never owned an OG colorway 4
If I had to guess, the og is probably a size 13 MJ pair and the 20 is a size 9. It’s not gonna be an apples to apples comparison when you’re looking at spacing and stuff like that.

I say that because the plastic eyelets on the og are smaller relative to the shoe itself.

The one thing on the 2020 version is the shade of red is definitely divergent from the original version. It's not a serious discrepancy for me although I prefer exactly like it or really close to it. At least it's better than any other rehash that came out before it.

Thats just from the oxidation, nike pic shows truer color

The thirst for these are already there. They got our attention especially giving us an early look. As soon as the early in hand reviews start rolling out, the demand will skyrocket. Im prying for a fair chance to obtain to say the least.

When they put them on Black Friday as a release, to me it was clear they thought these would be big sellers. This is the (Thanksgiving) holiday blockbuster for them.

But wtf is Tech Red.. someone copyrighted Fire Red??? :lol: what’s with holding OG color hues hostage ..

Columbia’s-Legend Blue
Columbia XIII-Brave Blue
True Red-Gym Red
fire Red-Tech Red
September Blue-Sport Blue

when will the petty end. :lol:
One correction here, the VI was never actually "September" blue, there's a catalog from '91 that shows it as sport blue.

To add to the list:
Indiglo -> Vivid Green

I wonder if the height of the shoe changes significantly between different sizes, or different colorways.. Kinda like how the OG 3s all had pretty different toe EP cuts. I see pics of some early 4s that look considerably taller (larger gap between the wings and midsole)..

I wonder if the height of the shoe changes significantly between different sizes, or different colorways.. Kinda like how the OG 3s all had pretty different toe EP cuts. I see pics of some early 4s that look considerably taller (larger gap between the wings and midsole)..

When it comes to ogs there was no difference, even the grade school sizes were the same in comparison to height and spacing of heal tabs, wings, and the overall cut of the shoe. every release after the og has not been as high of a cut.

When it comes to ogs there was no difference, even the grade school sizes were the same in comparison to height and spacing of heal tabs, wings, and the overall cut of the shoe. every release after the og has not been as high of a cut.
So are the 2019 black/red 4s about the same height as the 99 retro?? If anyone has both pairs let us know!!

Back
Top Bottom